shoes

O

Old Warrior

From my perspective shoes are not the issue - Pants are! Toe position is just about meaningless with even an ordinary leather shoe. On the other hand, if your pants are ordinarily tight - your kicks will feel entirely different and you may never be able to get them higher than thigh level. Of course for self defense purposes this is more than enough.

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by Old Warrior
From my perspective shoes are not the issue - Pants are! Toe position is just about meaningless with even an ordinary leather shoe. On the other hand, if your pants are ordinarily tight - your kicks will feel entirely different and you may never be able to get them higher than thigh level. Of course for self defense purposes this is more than enough.

Not quite sure what your getting at but in answer to your Signature I've always prefered the saying

"The pen is mightier then the sword but the Gun will shut ye the **** up"

:rofl:

R

redfive

I guess it depends on what you realy wont to get out of the martial arts. If wearing shoes screws up your foot work and makes the kicks harder, well then your realy going to be screwed when you get into a real fight. I dont think anyone is going to wait, and give you time to take your shoes off.
I would suggest to train both ways. Dont ware them in class, but do all techniques with shoes latter , and bag work as well. shoes will also give better protection against broken toes and sprained ankles. Thats why most military units wear combat boots and shoes, and dont go into battle barefoot. shin rakes and toe stomps are alot more affective also. You do have to adjust some of the kicks, if you are used to doing traditional kicks, were you kick with the blade of the foot. Most shoes do not let the ankle minipulate as well as being barefoot.
But I have never trained in a traditional system, that goes barefoot, and it would realy mess me up to get into a situation were I was barefoot. I can hardley walk out to get the mail barefoot.

Your friend in the Combative Arts, Redfive

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my Okinawa-te training, and when I trained with other Japanese/Okinawa/Korean stylists, no shoes were worn unless we were doing outdoor training. Basically, if I wear a gi, I don't wear shoes.

However, for my FMA training, I always wear shoes. An ejected stick or aluminum training knife would hurt much more on a bare foot. :)

Cthulhu

S

Shinzu

it would be an excellent idea for instructors to do both. hold a class where the students wear their street clothes and see what types of changes it makes in your technique. switching things up will only help you out in the long run.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone know of a source for Nike Air Rifts? (The Tabi shoes made by Nike?) I believe the line was discontinued, but every now and again I see some on Ebay that claim they are NEW, just not in my size...

S

sweeper

you might try calling nike customer service.. I have a pair.. kinda loose on the heal for me.. and those socks make me want to pick things p with my toes :p