Shockingly simple outcome

K

kenpo12

I just thought I'd post this question for fun. Since I've been training I haven't been in a fight or self defense situation and don't plan to be anytime soon if I can avoid it. However I do know people who have used their training successfully and there seemed to be one common thread. No one was able to get to the "cool stuff" because they seemed to quickly end the altercation with one or two strikes and it was over. I was wondering how many people here or know someone who reacted to a situation and it almost ended before it started?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope all my true self-defense situations end that way.
Most so far have, I think the "cool stuff" is the stuff that stops the fight in 8 or 10 seconds. After about age 18 (many years ago) any fight you get in is a serious one. I try and end all mine before they start, and that means verbally as well.

7sm

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I try and end all mine before they start, and that means verbally as well.
There have been many times since I began the study of martial arts that would have turned into a serious fist fight in the past that I have ended by verbal "technique". I have found that since I began training that my ego is not as important to me as it once was and this allows me to talk my way out of a confrontation instead of feeling like I must come to blows to protect my "manhood". I firmly believe that this is a result of greater self confidence gained from my training. I have nothing to prove to any one else.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by theletch1
There have been many times since I began the study of martial arts that would have turned into a serious fist fight in the past that I have ended by verbal "technique". I have found that since I began training that my ego is not as important to me as it once was and this allows me to talk my way out of a confrontation instead of feeling like I must come to blows to protect my "manhood". I firmly believe that this is a result of greater self confidence gained from my training. I have nothing to prove to any one else.

Exactly!!
My Sifu allways says you should allways be worried about the ones who do not want to fight.

7sm

OP
R

RCastillo

I'm with you all the way on this!:asian:

Excellent!

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm often amazed at the amount of overly complicated and in-depth a lot of techniques can be. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iv'e ended the fight by merely sticking my knee out and jamming the guys kick. He went down hard, and snot was every where. The guy later wouldn't even admit that I beat him because I had done so little; however he did have a point he realy did it to himself. I just helped.
Sean

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
You want to kick my ***?
You have to ask yourself a question, first.
Either you know you can kick my *** or you only think you can. If you know you can, is it worth the effort? If you only think you can, is it worth the risk?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Either you know you can kick my *** or you only think you can. If you know you can, is it worth the effort? If you only think you can, is it worth the risk?
Excellent statement, Seig. The trouble is that most of the folks that are going to initiate a confrontation aren't going to stop to analyze the situation like that and don't have any clue what a patented "Boot to the Groin" feels like. As for me... I know I can't so I'm not even gonna try.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Excellent statement, Seig. The trouble is that most of the folks that are going to initiate a confrontation aren't going to stop to analyze the situation like that and don't have any clue what a patented "Boot to the Groin" feels like. As for me... I know I can't so I'm not even gonna try.
When I was younger, dumber and indestructable, I was a private investigator. The owner of the company was the one that trained me. He was a former captain of Special Forces and VietNam vet. We were in a bar watching someone when someone else decided he didn't like us. That was the answer my boss (Kevin) gave the guy. Of course, I was ready to pound the guy into mush. I got a lesson in life that night.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was younger, dumber and indestructable
Yeah, somehow, as soon as I turned 30 I stopped being indestructable. Problem is no-one told me about it. I had to find out on my own in the dojo.:mad:

Isn't amazing how most of lifes truly important moments seem to be almost anti-climactic at the time and it is only upon looking back that you realize the worth of the experience?

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Yes, in all the time that I've been training I have become more patient and less prone to flying off the handle and stepping up to some knucklehead's challenge to scrap. As has been stated here, it's always better to talk your way out of conflicts than to utilize your MA training (especially if your opponent is a foot taller and 100 lbs heavier than you)... :asian:

Latest Discussions