Shinobigatana (ninja to)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know what your backgrounnd is Ginny and I'm about to retire for the night, it being 3 in the AM for me but I'm sure that you probably already know that the existence of the Ninja-To is a 'Hollywood' myth.

If you are interested in practising a sword art, then I'd strongly advise a 'proper', koryu, one. That way you'll be learning an art, with a sword, both of which have their roots firmly planted in history rather than folklore.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

ForTogakure Ryu, it's not too bad. The tsuka is a bit long, but that's about all. In terms of use, it depends on what you want to use it for; solo kata practice, iai practice, kata with a partner, or tameshigiri (test-cutting). Without feeling it myself, I cannot guarantee that it is properly balanced, but if it is, it should suit at least the kata side of things. The 1086 steel is fairly strong and resiliant to impact, so if it has an edge, you may even be able to do a bit of cutting with it, just make sure you have someone around who has done it before first.

kakuma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Please visit Arashiforge.com for shinobi gatana based oin densho specs.

nitflegal

Green Belt
Reaction score
The pictures do look nice. However, the price is cheap, very cheap. My experience has been that a ken that is this cheap usually has some significant corners cut, and some of those may be dangerous. My biggest concern would be if it had a full tang and, if so, is it welded onto a stub from the blade or part of it? Does the hilt fit tightly or is it epoxy-filled to make up for a loosened tolerance fit? For 170 euros you get a sword, stand, bag, and cleaning kit. For light practice this may be fine, I wouldn't dare cut with it until I'd taken it apart and examined every cm under the handle.

I dunno, I suspect it's a hanger and not a solid practice weapon but I could be wrong.

Matt

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For light practice this may be fine, I wouldn't dare cut with it until I'd taken it apart and examined every cm under the handle.
In swords at that price range, it is usually the handle itself rather than what is under the handle that causes problems. Traditionally made Japanese style swords have the handle hand carved to exactly fit the nakago (tang) of that particular sword. This is expensive and time consuming, so cheaper swords get around this by using epoxy (can crack and make your sword loose), making a standard handle and hammering it on the nakago (can result in cracks of the handle wood) or making a standard handle and using shims ot make it fit right (hope they got them in correctly!). Unless you have someone with a lot of knowledge of how to inspect swords for safety, I would avoid the less expensive swords such as this one. You may miss a bargain that way, but you won't take the chance of turning your new sword blade into a "flying razorblade of death"! :)

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do intend to use it for? Iai? Cutting?

Tsuka is way to long for most iai.

As above, I too would worry about the tang, might just snap off one day.

I wouldn’t go near it.

Personally, you get what you pay for.

nitflegal

Green Belt
Reaction score
In swords at that price range, it is usually the handle itself rather than what is under the handle that causes problems. Traditionally made Japanese style swords have the handle hand carved to exactly fit the nakago (tang) of that particular sword. This is expensive and time consuming, so cheaper swords get around this by using epoxy (can crack and make your sword loose), making a standard handle and hammering it on the nakago (can result in cracks of the handle wood) or making a standard handle and using shims ot make it fit right (hope they got them in correctly!). Unless you have someone with a lot of knowledge of how to inspect swords for safety, I would avoid the less expensive swords such as this one. You may miss a bargain that way, but you won't take the chance of turning your new sword blade into a "flying razorblade of death"! :)

True enough and that's what I was trying to say, your explanation is much nicer than mine! :) I've handled too many cheapie katana that developed a distinct wobble in the handle after only a few cuts. Having seen one blade detach and go flying, I never, ever, want to see that again.

I'll be honest, my other concern would be that even if the proportions are correct for the Togakure or Kukishinden ryu, most of us aren't 5 feet tall either. I'm 6'4", a traditionally measured blade is going to be short for me. So, you're getting a sword whose blade length is probably closer to a wakizashi for you than a katana, even a shorter uschi-gatana style would be.

Matt

OP
G

ginny

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks for your replie guys.

i saw a shinobigatana with a square guard on 'mind, body,kick *** moves' hatsumi was using a squareguard (plain) sword.

and i would love to know where he got it.

b

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for your replie guys.

i saw a shinobigatana with a square guard on 'mind, body,kick *** moves' hatsumi was using a squareguard (plain) sword.

and i would love to know where he got it.

b

I believe he had a smith make a limited production line of the togakure ryu katana based off the densho specifications. However, alas they are all gone.
icon9.gif

OP
G

ginny

White Belt
Reaction score
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

ok, maybe when i become good with a sword i can get one done myself.

cheers guys

Latest Discussions