shaolin long fist

OP
J

j_m

Infrazael said:
Mabye, if I can close enough.
Shouldn't this be "when" you get close enough? :)

We have a saying that you want to keep your enemy VERY close to you. Kind of like "keep your friends close but your enemies closer". Almsot like a black widow spider... you make love to your enemy (touch, move in, wrap/lock) then you destroy them from in close. That's the CMA way.

jm

OP
I

Infrazael

clfsean said:
Hmmmm.... maybe... :partyon:

If you use a crashing opening like say ... gwa/jeurng/lin wan ping ahn choi/sao choi ... you should literally be standing on a person by then... think about lok gwai ma, tau ma or lau ma doing mad, bad things to their lower bodies/joints & balance while you distract/pound/flatten up top with the hands. You footwork should move you into them while you fire away.

Just something to think about...
That's what I do. :flame:

OP
S

Silo-Fu Kung-Fu

Obviously those of you that disagree have never done any "Long fist"
CLF and Mantis are not long fist styles where as like i said earlyer , Crane and plum flower are.

And you if you know what your doing you can punch in the same range that your front kicking.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:
can anyone tell me what shaolin long fist is all about and what makes it unique?
Among the other styles mentioned, Northern Eagle Claw is partially characterized by long armed techniques.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Silo-Fu Kung-Fu said:
CLF and Mantis are not long fist styles where as like i said earlyer , Crane and plum flower are.

And you if you know what your doing you can punch in the same range that your front kicking.
Dont be too quick to make assumptions. We all know what happens when you make assumptions, right? :uhyeah:

In this case you would be wrong.

7sm

OP
J

j_m

Silo-Fu Kung-Fu said:
CLF and Mantis are not long fist styles where as like I said earlyer , Crane and plum flower are.
Who are referring to here? Those that disagree with your earlier definintion that "long fist" usually refers to fighting (punching) at long range? It seems those of us that actualy do "long fist" don't consider that the real definition. And you are certain that CLF is not a southern "long fist" style? Many even consider tai chi chuan to be "long fist".

There are probably dozens (if not more) of chang quan styles. Some actually include the term "chang quan" like tai zhu chang quan, jia men chang quan, mei hua chang quan, etc. But other styles/systems are considered part of the general long fist family as well such as mi tzung quan, fan zi chuan, and even monkey fist & taijiquan.

More info for those that are intersted:

"[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chinese martial arts has a huge number of impressive fighting styles. Some are quite unique, many are superb. What makes long fist stand out among them, what makes it unique is the balance and even development of its techniques and its versatility in fighting situations.
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Does it emphasize arm or leg techniques? Long fist develops both.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How about long-range, midrange, or short-range fighting? Where is its strong point? Not a relevant question: long fist uses all of them.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Does it specialize in palm strikes? No, long fist uses fist, palm, elbow, shoulder, torso: everything and everywhere.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Which method of power-issuing does it employ? Long fist uses all possible ways.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Does long fist's fighting strategy call for initiating the first strike or waiting for the opponent to attack before responding? Long fist uses all different fighting strategies. And very importantly, the fighting plan must never be pre-designed.[/font]"

I'd say the obvious thing is that you have no idea what we all know or what we all practice.

jm

[/font]

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
FWIW, here is some information on the intro handout we got when we started our classes in "northen Shaolin long fist style kung fu". (I've always said that seems general to me, but that's about all we were given for a name of the style we learned.)

"The movements of Long-Fist are, as the name states, long. Long-arm swinging motions and long whirling kicks are common. Jumps are also a featured movement in Long-Fist. . . . Long-Fist style emphasiz[es] kicks over hand techniques. Such a long-range system stresses full extension of the limbs so that kicks and punches are extended as far as possible without compromising balance or power. The Northern Shaolin practicioner generates power from a combination of great speed and large, flowing movemebts, picturing his hands and feet as strong and compact as stones while his arms and legs are ropes. The limbs remain supple and relaxed during movement and only tighten when fully extended."

Kind of interesting how it seems to say a lot of the stereotypical stuff that we're saying doesn't always hold true. BTW, do you have a source for that quoted info, j_m?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think making a point of extending your joints to their full extension is an amazing way to get them broken.

7sm

OP
J

j_m

Dronak said:
Long-Fist style emphasiz[es] kicks over hand techniques.

I personally believe this is a fairly common misconception. Maybe this is what it looks like to the unitiated... but it's hard to say just exactly why this is common belief. Possibly it stems form the other misconception that northern styles use mostly kicks while southern styles use mostly hands :p

Dronak said:
BTW, do you have a source for that quoted info, j_m?
It's a quote from Adam Hsu. I thought it relevent, at least in my case, since that is where my Islamic Long Fist comes from (Hsu learned it from Han Ching Tan whom we have discussed before such as the tan tui video clip I posted up). I have some experience with Shaolin Long Fist as well. But like you, I feel that was sort of a very general term for it at the time.

jm

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Silo-Fu Kung-Fu said:

Ok... I'll be nice & put it like this. You're misinformed & not correct. Choy Lee Fut is most certainly a southern long fist system as are cousins Hung Ga, Choy Ga, Hung Fut, Fut Ga, Pek Kwar, Tai Tzu, etc....

Praying Mantis is also a Long Fist system as well. You may want to review the 18 different styles/systems that were combined to develop the Tang Lang systems & where they've gone & how they've grown.

Which Crane fist are you talking about? Fukien? Fuzhou? Yong chun? Bak Hok? Hop Ga? Lama Pai?

I'll have to check with some flower boxers I know & get back to you on the Mei Hua. I'm not 100% sure, but I'll check around.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I think making a point of extending your joints to their full extension is an amazing way to get them broken.

I'm not sure "fully extended" means "locked out", which I think is the way you're interpreting it.

OP
I

Infrazael

Silo-Fu Kung-Fu said:

CLF is a Southern Longfist style. We actually have a form called "Hung-Sing Longfist Set"

We never claimed that it was the same in any way to Northern Longfist.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The entire point here is that we need to keep in mind that translations/interpretations, can be the basis for much confusion. When we base our ideas on assumptions, we can go off on entirely the wrong tangent, especially if the assumptions we make are incorrect in fact. It comes down to the old adage that a small amount of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

It doesn’t do to become complacent. When we cease to seek answers for ourselves and simply begin to take someone else’s word for something, or base opinions and beliefs on fragmented information, we end up deluding ourselves. And we also end up perpetuating errors, and it will be believed by even more people that Long Fist is about range, no different than other translations mis-understood, like Gong Fu, Tai Ji Quan, etc.

Latest Discussions