shaolin long fist

H

Hanzo04

can anyone tell me what shaolin long fist is all about and what makes it unique?

OP
H

Hanzo04

how come know one will respond to this thread? i don't get it. isn't shaolin long fist a well known style of kung fu?

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:
can anyone tell me what shaolin long fist is all about and what makes it unique?
Shaolin Longfist is a genetic term ,there are many Shaolin Longfist styles ,which are you refering to?

jeff:)

OP
H

Hanzo04

finally someone responds! i don't know what type of long fist's there are. is there a main style?

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont know much about long fist. It is a northern style, 12 hand forms, 2 partner forms, 9 solo weapon forms, and 2 partner weapon forms. It emphasizes long to mid range. From what I've seen, Long Fist looks like Wing Chun, only about 2-3' further away. I beleive there is 12 styles of Chang Chuan. Long Fist has many different leaps and jumps as well.

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:
finally someone responds! i don't know what type of long fist's there are. is there a main style?
I'd say the most common longfist style ,is Bak Sil Lum (Northern Shaolin) You can find it almost anywhere.

Shogun said:
From what I've seen, Long Fist looks like Wing Chun, only about 2-3' further away. I beleive there is 12 styles of Chang Chuan. Long Fist has many different leaps and jumps as well.
Hmmm

I don't know what longfist you've seen that looks anything like Wing Chun.:idunno:

Wing Chun tends to have alot of inclose straight line attacks ,where Longfist has more circular flowing and yes longrange attacks. Also Longfist has many kicking techniques ,where as Wing Chun doesn't use many kicks.

There are a few different styles of longfist that is true. you also have Piqua (Pek Kwar) among others.

Bak Sil Lum is cantonese i can't remember the Mandarin spelling for Northern Shaolin.

jeff:)

OP
R

RHD

Shogun said:
I dont know much about long fist. It is a northern style, 12 hand forms, 2 partner forms, 9 solo weapon forms, and 2 partner weapon forms. It emphasizes long to mid range. From what I've seen, Long Fist looks like Wing Chun, only about 2-3' further away. I beleive there is 12 styles of Chang Chuan. Long Fist has many different leaps and jumps as well.

I don't know about that...from my understanding, Long Fist is just about the closest thing to being the opposite of Wing Chun. Wing Chun may have been developed specifically to combat long range styles.

Mike

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think Black Tiger Fist is right, Shaolin long fist is probably a bit too generic. FWIW, the style I was taught in the classes I took was called "northern long fist Shaolin kung fu" -- I've always thought that sounded rather general, but that's what we got. If you can dig up my old threads about my training where I was telling people what sort of forms we were learning when, those will give you an idea of what we learned.

OP
S

Silo-Fu Kung-Fu

When you hear "Long fist" it usually refers to fighting (punching) at long range, about the same range as if you were kicking, but you get to use your hands.

Some long fiist styles would be Crane style kung-fu, and plum flower (Aka Moi Fa)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Silo-Fu Kung-Fu said:
When you hear "Long fist" it usually refers to fighting (punching) at long range, about the same range as if you were kicking, but you get to use your hands.

Some long fiist styles would be Crane style kung-fu, and plum flower (Aka Moi Fa)
I dont agree. Long Fist is not actually associated with distance fighting. Its pretty hard to fight with your hands a kicking range, legs are much longer than arms. To use your arms, you must close in and that is included in Long Fist as well, which makes it no longer fighting at a distance.

7sm

OP
I

Infrazael

Does Northern Longfist styles have bridging at all??? Just curious.

Because sean and I both do CLF which is Southern Longfist.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7* is dead on. It's not about range so much as it is about useage.

As INfrazel said, we both do CLF which is a Southern Long Fist. We don't stand outside & try to attack in. That's just not bright. We tend to close in with long strikes & footwork that sets up sweeps & take downs if the "punch" doesn't connect as a "punch".

For example, I can turn a Sao Choy (sweeping punch) or Pao Choy (long uppercut) into sweeps & take downs depending on my footwork & positioning just as easy as using them as headhunters.

Infraz... yeah they bridge, but a little different than we do in opening, but application time is all the same.

OP
J

j_m

Clfsean is correct about 7* being correct :supcool:

Long fist has little to do with the distance of fighting and it bridges the same as, or at least very similar to, styles such as PM and CLF. After all, figting is all about getting close and personal... which is what northern longfist styles like to do.

jm

OP
I

Infrazael

I'm been looking at the 10 seeds again, and they can pretty much be bridged one way or another, kinda like Hung Gar's 12 bridges (but different in it's application tho).

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Infrazael said:
I'm been looking at the 10 seeds again, and they can pretty much be bridged one way or another, kinda like Hung Gar's 12 bridges (but different in it's application tho).
Right... also watch your stepping patterns as well for closing range & setting up leg locks & traps with your punching...

All 10 seeds can be bridges. 5 Animals are also bridges. They all lend their own take to bridgin the gap & opening

OP
I

Infrazael

Never tried leg locks before. Trapping? Mabye, if I can close enough.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Infrazael said:
Never tried leg locks before. Trapping? Mabye, if I can close enough.
Hmmmm.... maybe... :partyon:

If you use a crashing opening like say ... gwa/jeurng/lin wan ping ahn choi/sao choi ... you should literally be standing on a person by then... think about lok gwai ma, tau ma or lau ma doing mad, bad things to their lower bodies/joints & balance while you distract/pound/flatten up top with the hands. You footwork should move you into them while you fire away.

Just something to think about...

Latest Discussions