Shanxi Xingyiquan to start

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Shanxi Xingyiquan

Looks like I might start training some Shanxi Xingyiquan in November. I have trained a lot of Hebei, a bit of Shang (which is a subset of Hebei) and some Wudang, but never Shanxi.

Working on Sun style Taijiquan too. Have a couple other things I am looking into, but more on those later should I start

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's a good way to "get my blood up." If I feel dull, I do a few piquan or beng quan, and it wakes me up.
Have you done Piquan or Beng Quan 1000 times non-stop? It may take about 40 minutes.

40 x 60 = 2400

About 2.4 second per drill.

I like to train MA with the ratio of

punch : kick = 3 : 1

I don't like to do punch only drill. I don't understand why XY doesn't have enough kicking training.

Last edited:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Have you done Piquan or Beng Quan 1000 times non-stop? It may take about 40 minutes.

40 x 60 = 2400

About 2.4 second per drill.

I like to train MA with the ratio of

punch : kick = 3 : 1

I don't like to do punch only drill. I don't understand why XY doesn't have enough kicking training.
I did it for about a 1/2 of a mile once. And for a period of time I did it 100 times a day

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I can post a couple differences now
Not sure this is all style differnces or teacher differences

This is style, the stepping, Hebei keeps the feet low almost sliding along the ground as you step. Shanxi is almost like walking, also giving the possibility of a knee strike

These may be style or may be teacher. All movements come from the Dantian, and this is talked about.

In Zuanquan Hebei is a downward block with fist and upward strike with the other fist. In hebei they stay fists. In shanxi the punch is also a grab as it retracts

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to do XY dragon very much. I believe it can help me to maintain my flexibility (low stance, single leg balance). I can't do 1000 dragon non-stop. It's much harder.

My eyes are not the best...this video is slightly slowed down right?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many people don't train in combat speed, and I don't understand why. They may call that "internal" training. But IMO, "internal" training does not equal to slow speed training.

But that video is intentionally slowed down, right?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are correct. For his age, he can do it faster.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think it has to be done faster.

I was just curious why they'd slow it down on camera.

It's an editing trick. I'm learning magic tricks as a side hobby.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I don't think it has to be done faster.

I was just curious why they'd slow it down on camera.

It's an editing trick. I'm learning magic tricks as a side hobby.
Yes, it's slowed down a bit. (I edit video and design motion graphics.)
You can also see a slight posterization of the frame rate, you know, like stop motion, in his garments.
It might have been slowed deliberately for the "look," or accidentally in the transfer, as in from NTSC to PAL format, for example (29.97 fps slowed down to 25).

dream

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow ; you are fortunate to have been able to find so many hsing I schools, and varying lineages. Where are you located if I may ask only due to interest in how much martial arts you have available! ?

I would love to ask you some more questions at some point, but I don’t want to derail .

Very cool!

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Wow ; you are fortunate to have been able to find so many hsing I schools, and varying lineages. Where are you located if I may ask only due to interest in how much martial arts you have available! ?

I would love to ask you some more questions at some point, but I don’t want to derail .

Very cool!
Who is this directed at?

If it is me, this is covering about 51 years (32 of that is CMA) and a whole lot of travel.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions