Self-Defense

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Mmm, when? surely it would have been to punch or use something other than kicks, I would have thought I would have been easy for somebody to lock or catch a leg in a crowded place since there is little room to swing?
Kicks in a SD situation are rarely the flashy point garnering things we see in tournaments or at gradings. Instead they are usually push kicks to the hips, or kicks to the knees/legs. Or to parts of a downed opponent.

Mmmmm, from this forum I've heard that TKD does incorporate joint locks, sweeps and throws but all the time I've been doing TKD I've never ever done them where I train. Could I be with a bad instructor? or is it his way of teaching that I'm just doing?

I must keep getting the wrong impression! Sorry guys
A lot of people on the internet will tell you that TKD includes joint manipulation. Very few TKD schools will actually include it in their syllabus.

My advice to you - Forget about the name. Whenever you read the name of a martial art, like Karate or Judo, simply replace it with the words, Martial Art. Then take a look at what is being taught in said martial art school. If it looks like the training will meet your goals, then train there. If not, then dont. It is counter-productive to get caught up in a name, unless you goal is simply to master a single art. It sounds more like you are gunning for RBSD skills, in which case learning all you can from everyone you can is the way to go.

A word of warning though - it is important to have a solid 'base' art, from which you can grow. The over-riding philosophy of 'take what works, leave the rest' should guide you, but you must first be knowledgable enough to know what works and what doesnt.

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Adept said:
My advice to you - Forget about the name. Whenever you read the name of a martial art, like Karate or Judo, simply replace it with the words, Martial Art. Then take a look at what is being taught in said martial art school. If it looks like the training will meet your goals, then train there. If not, then dont. It is counter-productive to get caught up in a name, unless you goal is simply to master a single art. It sounds more like you are gunning for RBSD skills, in which case learning all you can from everyone you can is the way to go.

A word of warning though - it is important to have a solid 'base' art, from which you can grow. The over-riding philosophy of 'take what works, leave the rest' should guide you, but you must first be knowledgable enough to know what works and what doesnt.
Thanks, I think I will use Wing Chun as my base art because that is what I try and solidly pratice the most. What do you mean by RBSD skills? So its basically what works for me as an indiviual! And I like the idea of changing every name of a style to Martial Art, stops the prejudice that way! This style is better than this nonsense!
Thanks for the reply Adept!

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
What do you mean by RBSD skills?
RBSD - Reality based self defense. Not so much focus on point sparring, or techniques that are only viable in the dojo, and more focus on scenario training, and a lot of mental preparation. It isn't better than your typical TKD training, it just has a different focus. Good RBSD training helps to prepare to for violent action, and helps you learn how to recognise and avoid those situations. A good link:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

So its basically what works for me as an indiviual! And I like the idea of changing every name of a style to Martial Art, stops the prejudice that way! This style is better than this nonsense!
Thanks for the reply Adept!
Glad to be of service.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Mmmmm, from this forum I've heard that TKD does incorporate joint locks, sweeps and throws but all the time I've been doing TKD I've never ever done them where I train. Could I be with a bad instructor? or is it his way of teaching that I'm just doing?

I must keep getting the wrong impression! Sorry guys
No need to apologize Corporal. Perhaps your instructor does not introduce the joint locks/sweeps/thows until you've attained a higher rank? Ask him/her.

What interesting is I have a friend whose trained in Wing Chun for many years and he is now learning TKD from me as he teaches me some JKD/Kali. Like Martial Talk, this is an friendly exchange (though we have each been on the end of painful techniques).

Miles

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps your instructor does not introduce the joint locks/sweeps/thows until you've attained a higher rank? Ask him/her.

I know our teacher teaches self-defense in terms of both kicking at distances, close range strikes and locks and joint moves and also grappling/evasion. However, the grappling comes much later in our advancement and the long range strikes we just started getting into. Various joint-moves and close range strikes can be altered easier to escalate/de-escalate based on the level of danger; a side-kick to the knee as a first line of defense is a bit harder to 'scale back'..... so he wanted us beginners to be more comfortable with the inner techniques before moving on to more advanced, and dangerous, techniques

So, it makes sense that a full SD program would include a lot of stuff that couldn't all be taught at the same time and some of it is more advanced than others

Latest Discussions