self defense and martail art longevity

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you ever seen a LIVE Aikido demo..It's almost impossble to fake, there are no gentle throws.I f his students attempted to take it easy on him he would have been VERY upset..As far as on the streets I wouldn't grab one of these older Master for anything...
Have you ever seen Willian DeThouras ( Uncle Bill) of the Kun-Taw-Silat dicipline??? He looks like any senior citizen, he is FAST and HITS HARD...

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because you dont have to tell me that you are not sniping.
You have to show me that you are not sniping.

As a matter of fact, it is a strange thing if this thread cannot be called sniping. (like me other posts was considered sniping?)

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not following you at all here. Sniping involves a subtle but real personal attack. I don't see anything at all personal in any of the posts on this thread. So why would you then call this thread `sniping'?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because you dont have to tell me that you are not sniping.
You have to show me that you are not sniping.

As a matter of fact, it is a strange thing if this thread cannot be called sniping. (like me other posts was considered sniping?)

My friend I have no idea where you are going with this. I am on this thread to talk about self defense and martial art longevity. Let us return to the threads purpose and stay on the topic.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you ever seen a LIVE Aikido demo..It's almost impossble to fake, there are no gentle throws.I f his students attempted to take it easy on him he would have been VERY upset..As far as on the streets I wouldn't grab one of these older Master for anything...
Have you ever seen Willian DeThouras ( Uncle Bill) of the Kun-Taw-Silat dicipline??? He looks like any senior citizen, he is FAST and HITS HARD...

I agree! I wouldn't want to grab one of them either.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Uncle Bill or Granpa Bill as they are calling him now is incredible!

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mustafa---reread what Bob wrote about sniping in the new infractions thread. Has anyone on the thread we're in now said anything to you that corresonds to a personal knock? Brian was simply clarifying what he was doing. I'm curious to know exactly why you think that this would qualify as sniping.
Right. I admit that i indulged.

I think, how can it not be considered as that?
And his reply matched my post more that the first post. So i assumed he was saying something to me.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I *think* I wouldn't mind being his uke once, maybe more if I didn't get destroyed. :p but the thought scares the poop out of me! :p

Father Greek and I trained with "Uncle Bill" at a seminar in Denver..Father Greek asked to recieve a counter strike to a technique..He said it was like getting hit with a baseball bat...He got a with a huge black and blue mark that hurt...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have had the opportunity to witness some great martial artists as they advanced into their sixties and beyond. (by the way sixty is really young according to me and my 81 year old student) What struck me the most with all of them is that they practiced. They did not just teach but they actually practiced what they were teaching regularly. That is how they remained young, supple and quick with their technique. Whether you practice aikido, juijitsu, BJJ, Budo Taijutsu, Modern Arnis, Krav Maga, IRT, Hapkido, etc. If you are willing to train and modify it a bit as you age then you can practice for the rest of your life.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Father Greek and I trained with "Uncle Bill" at a seminar in Denver..Father Greek asked to recieve a counter strike to a technique..He said it was like getting hit with a baseball bat...I

I have to admit that Uncle Bill is just awesome. A lifetime of training will definately keep you young.

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not following you at all here. Sniping involves a subtle but real personal attack. I don't see anything at all personal in any of the posts on this thread. So why would you then call this thread `sniping'?
A sniper means a person as a target i understand.
If you dont allow me to speak, that doesnt mean i have nothing to say. Even your retorical abilites are better than mine, that doesnt mean your purpouse is better.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that if a martial artist applies his/her mind and body to his/her art...that as they age and age takes the toll that it commonly does, they will adapt. Their motion will fit their ability and their tactics will follow.
Efficiency will need to be maximized and they will need to learn to do the most by using the least amount of action. This comes through experience and internalizing ones art...and it's not specific to any one style or type of style really. It has more to do with divesting of the superfluities.... cutting off the non-essentials...
who has time for those anyway?

Your Brother
john

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That would be a big mistake. Imagine laying your hands on Hatsumi Soke. He would tie you up in a pretzel and he is almost 75!
That depends on who we are talking about.
"Because then the fools of them would mess it up, while the higher ranks pays the consequences. (this perspective)"
Other senseis should not be connected to him, because he is supposed to be the best example for ninjutsu. And we dont want to ruin that

Now, i have never actually trained ninjutsu, but i think it is a good art.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that if a martial artist applies his/her mind and body to his/her art...that as they age and age takes the toll that it commonly does, they will adapt. Their motion will fit their ability and their tactics will follow.
Efficiency will need to be maximized and they will need to learn to do the most by using the least amount of action. This comes through experience and internalizing ones art...and it's not specific to any one style or type of style really. It has more to do with divesting of the superfluities.... cutting off the non-essentials...
who has time for those anyway?

Your Brother
john

John that is a really good point that as you age and your technique gets better you whittle away at those non essential movements. You see this specifically in all of the great teachers and artists.

Latest Discussions