Secrets of Kalis Illustrimo book?

OP
J

Joe Eccleston

I think Felicisimo Dizon, the teacher of Angel Cabales, was also mentioned in the Ilustrisimo book. He was also from Cebu, older than Tatang Ilustrisimo, and contemporary of Melecio and Agapito Ilustrisimo (Uncles of Tatang Ilustrisimo?). Both Felicisimo Dizon and Agapito Ilustrisimo were members of an older Doce Pares group in Mount Banahaw, I believe in the 1890s.

Which takes us back to Cebu.

OP
C

CiNcO dOsE

nene tortal: pekiti tirsia: from negros occidental

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Joe,

In the USA, Sayoc Kali also practices in the "corto" range. This past weekend we hosted Ray Floro for another two day event on Kalis Ilustrisimo, and what a great time we had. The seminar was fairly small and this gave everyone time to spar one on one with Ray! Also, it was great to see some video of Tatang Ilustrisimo training with various his students, with live machetes!! I'll be posting a review ups soon and then some video clips as well, so stay tuned.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, here is a question for all the FMA guys here. Can anyone find a good connection between Max Seirmento (Sp) and Antonio Ilustrisimo? I have a teacher that learned from a man named Seirmento, who learned form Ilustrisimo. I know that both names are pretty common in the PIs, but I am trying to find a fairly solid connection.

OP
J

Joe Eccleston

Max Sarmiento was the student of Angel Cabales in Stockton, California. Angel Cabales was the student of Felicisimo Dizon. Felicisimo Dizon was a contemporary of Melicio Ilustrisimo and Agapito Ilustrisimo. Melicio Ilustrisimo and Agapito Ilustrisimo were both uncles of Antonio Ilustrisimo, while learning also from Isidro Ilustrisimo, his father. Regino Ilustrisimo is Antonio Ilustrisimo's cousin or uncle? who immigrated to Stockton, California. Max Sarmiento was also one of Regino Ilustrisimo's students. Maybe that's the "Ilustrisimo" connection?

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Joe Eccleston said:
Max Sarmiento was the student of Angel Cabales in Stockton, California. Angel Cabales was the student of Felicisimo Dizon. Felicisimo Dizon was a contemporary of Melicio Ilustrisimo and Agapito Ilustrisimo. Melicio Ilustrisimo and Agapito Ilustrisimo were both uncles of Antonio Ilustrisimo, while learning also from Isidro Ilustrisimo, his father. Regino Ilustrisimo is Antonio Ilustrisimo's cousin or uncle? who immigrated to Stockton, California. Max Sarmiento was also one of Regino Ilustrisimo's students. Maybe that's the "Ilustrisimo" connection?

That's a good connection. The way it was explained to me was that an instructor of mine learned from a man named Sarmiento (not necessarily Max) who learned from three masters, one of which was Antonio Ilustrisimo. I guess I'm mostly looking for any other known students of Tatang that weren't listed in the book.

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

You will notice that Ray Floro, is not listed in the lineage charts due to some interesting politics. Actually, his picture is even in the book and he isn't listed in the titles. Go to: http://www.users.bigpond.com/finehoned/
and you can see Ray's biography. Ray shared with me some great video of Tatang Ilustrisimo training with Tony Diego, etc. awesome stuff!

Train Hard it is the Way!
Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Sayoc.com
www.Bujinkandojo.net

Black Grass

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

You will notice that Ray Floro, is not listed in the lineage charts due to some interesting politics. Actually, his picture is even in the book and he isn't listed in the titles.

There are lots of guys that are not listed in the lineage. To me it seems they only listed first generaion students. I not sure what politics have to do with it.

Black Grass

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Vince,

If you look at the chart, it does not distinguish 1st generation as a criteria. As well, Raymond trained directly with Tatang Ilustrisimo (from 1987-1997), Tony Diego, Romy Macapagal etc. at the same time that several others on that chart were involved in training. He was directly authorized by Tatang Ilustrisimo and Tony Diego to teach Kalis Ilustrisimo in 1991, "as the most senior, creditable and qualified Instructor to teach Kali Ilustrisimo in Australia."

There was a political fallout/break in an organization, and as such you don't see his name listed.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Sayoc.com
www.Bujinkandojo.net

OP
J

Joe Eccleston

In the book, Diego, Romo, Sulite, and Macapagal began training with Tatang Ilustrisimo in the 70s. That's probably where all the first generation vs. second string politics began. Just a thought...

Black Grass

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Joe Eccleston said:
In the book, Diego, Romo, Sulite, and Macapagal began training with Tatang Ilustrisimo in the 70s. That's probably where all the first generation vs. second string politics began. Just a thought...

Well Willey didn't start training until the 90's, but then again I don't think he belongs in the list with Diego, Romo, Ricketts, Macapagal, Galang....

But he wroe the foreward and I think he was the editor so...

Vince
Black Grass

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Joe Eccleston said:

I read this book, but its been a while and I don't remember if this is where I heard it from....about how Illustrisimo was an incredible fighter, but not a great teacher and it was basically these first generation students that trained with him and helped develop the system based on what they learned. I think it might have been Sulite who said you had to get Tatang Illustrisimo to "do something" to you and you try and figure out what he did.

Black Grass

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello Vince,

If you look at the chart, it does not distinguish 1st generation as a criteria. As well, Raymond trained directly with Tatang Ilustrisimo (from 1987-1997), Tony Diego, Romy Macapagal etc. at the same time that several others on that chart were involved in training. He was directly authorized by Tatang Ilustrisimo and Tony Diego to teach Kalis Ilustrisimo in 1991, "as the most senior, creditable and qualified Instructor to teach Kali Ilustrisimo in Australia."

There was a political fallout/break in an organization, and as such you don't see his name listed.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Sayoc.com
www.Bujinkandojo.net

This is not entirely true, He was certified by Tatang in 91 , but the certificate stating him "as the most senior, creditable and qualified Instructor to teach Kali Ilustrisimo in Australia." was signed in 2002 by Tony Diego, Tommy Dy and Romy Macapagal.

In any case he is listed in the book along with the other ILustrisimo instructors Rahneer Favis and John Chow.

Regards,
Vince
Black Grass

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Vince,

Yes, that quote was from the 2002 certificate, from the heir of the Ilustrisimo art, Tony Diego.

You can see all three recommendations on his website, the two letters are from Tatang in '91', which authorize him to open schools, and teach Kalis Ilustrisimo in Australia. John and Rahneer I believe, were also Ray's students at one time. Also, he is mentioned as a practitioner, but the original point was that he is not listed in the "Lineage", especially due to some "politics". (Every system has them...)

I just watched a video clip of him training with Tatang, always a pleasure to watch Tatang play with his early students!!

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Sayoc.com
www.Bujinkandojo.net

dos

White Belt
Reaction score

Sulite started training in the 80's. Macapagal started training in 1988.

Ricketts started training in 1984 mostly under Diego and not much under Ilustrisimo directly. Rey Galang learned from Ricketts. Galang had little direct training from Ilustrisimo. Both Ricketts and Galang preferred to take videos of Ilustrisimo and then learn from the tapes.

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe Eccleston

Sulite started training in the 80's. Macapagal started training in 1988.

Ricketts started training in 1984 mostly under Diego and not much under Ilustrisimo directly. Rey Galang learned from Ricketts. Galang had little direct training from Ilustrisimo. Both Ricketts and Galang preferred to take videos of Ilustrisimo and then learn from the tapes.

Glad you caught your own mistakes..."dos". Romy was after Topher and yes, Edgar did not start till the 80's. Although you are INCORRECT again about the training. Topher did start with Tony early on but later went on to study mostly with Tatang.

Regarding video, I have countless hours of footage from the late 80's up until Tatang passed and Topher was always training with Tatang in it and NOT behind the camera.

You should have your fact straight before making a post especially if it is your 1st.