Secret Self Defense Weapons of Britain

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now a deep fried Mars Bar is pretty odd but it is pretty tough to go past a beationg with a black pudding followed by a dessert walloping with a spotted dick.

Haggis?

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
All kidding about the haggis aside, it clearly demonstrates the adage the people who are really poor don't have anything, so they cook everything.

I think it was Ben Jonson who said that oats were a grain fed to horses in England and people in Scotland. Can't remember who replied that that was why England was noted for the strength of its horses and Scotland for the strength of its men.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
******s! Now I know the language barrier is going to kick in here lol! yes people really eat them over here!
Here in Yorkshire we also have Yorkshire pudding - served as a first course on it's own covered with gravy. That harks back to the bad old days when meat was scarce so people filled up with the pudding.
On Scotland there's stovies, mealie puddings, oatcakes and tablet. (Mince beef and potatoes mixed together very nice, white pudding aand oatcakes-oats again and a fudge like sweet) all delicious.
And don't forget tripe, jellied eels and cockles!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
******s! Now I know the language barrier is going to kick in here lol! yes people really eat them over here!
Here in Yorkshire we also have Yorkshire pudding - served as a first course on it's own covered with gravy. That harks back to the bad old days when meat was scarce so people filled up with the pudding.
On Scotland there's stovies, mealie puddings, oatcakes and tablet. (Mince beef and potatoes mixed together very nice, white pudding aand oatcakes-oats again and a fudge like sweet) all delicious.
And don't forget tripe, jellied eels and cockles!

LOL it won't print out!! and it's a genuine food. I will spell it out!
Foxtrot Alpha Golf Golf Oscar Tango Sierra!http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/******swithoniongrav_3899.shtml

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Link no work :(

What's wrong with good old-fashioned food like Spotted Dick, Toad in the Hole, or Bubble and Squeak?

And when I say "Toad in the Hole" we're not referring to the Sacred Act of the Marital Lily Pad!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Link no work :(

What's wrong with good old-fashioned food like Spotted Dick, Toad in the Hole, or Bubble and Squeak?

And when I say "Toad in the Hole" we're not referring to the Sacred Act of the Marital Lily Pad!

I loved Spotted Dick and toad in the hole but not bubble and squeak. Steak and Kidney pudding too and treacle tart.

I think the word that can't be printed on MT is stopping the link working so try googleing it and going for the wikipedia link under food! It is a very traditional dish

Latest Discussions