school

H

Hanzo04

what goes on in a ninjutsu class room? are they still traditional or are the techniques watered down for the general public. is it very usefull or very fullfilling? give me some ideas. i am extremely interested in joining the bujinkan. i guess i'm just looking for someone to convince me they are the real deal. and also does the Bujinkan have a seperate class for samurai swordsmanship or do they teach it at all?

OP
E

Elizium

Best way to answer this is to say what everyone else says: Go and look.

OP
N

Ninway J

Well, the Bujinkan is recognized by the Japanese government as being official. That must say something about them as being the "real deal."

Also, I believe Dale Seago mentioned that he learned both ninja and samurai arts within Bujinkan, on another thread.

OP
E

Elizium

With all the bad press from the 1980's of people flipping out and pretending to be a cheesy film, the ninpo scene is just a sub menu.

All we can say is take a look, join if needs be and explore the system. If you are intersted already, then just go to a dojo and have a look. Talk to the instructor, see how their students are training ETC Information is free when you ask.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:
what goes on in a ninjutsu class room? are they still traditional or are the techniques watered down for the general public. is it very usefull or very fullfilling? give me some ideas. i am extremely interested in joining the bujinkan. i guess i'm just looking for someone to convince me they are the real deal. and also does the Bujinkan have a seperate class for samurai swordsmanship or do they teach it at all?

What goes on depends on the school... I have been to very traditional schools, who follow very formal procedures... I have been to schools that are loosely organized and put more empahsis on training than history and formality...

Granted, I am still low rank, and have only attended classes with 5 different instructors in their schools, and only trained regularly with 2, so that is just my observation.

As far as the training goes... I enjoy what I do, regardless of anything else... it is enjoyable... and that is a big motivator to keep going for me. Sure, we get hurt... (Not injured mind you, but a little pain goes a long way twords learning) and it is hard, hot, tiring... but you get out of it what you put into It, i think.

I dont know what area you are in, but you can find a Bujinkan School in your area at www.winjutsu.com

Just check their "yellow pages". And if there is more than one school in your area, check out a couple!

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:
Not to sound like a parrot, but, go check it out. :)

The training depends on the instructor. From my experience different instructors may have different areas they emphasise. One may do more empty hand stuff than another. One may spend more time with a sword than anyother weapon. Some may do Kihon Happo and all sorts of variations and only occassionaly hit on waza from the different Ryuha. The classes shouldn't be seperate though. The empty hand and weapons training go hand in hand. (LOL wasn't intended at first, but I like that)

No one is going to convince you one way or the other here. go check it out. If you can participate for a class or two, do it. Understand that it takes time though. You aren't going to get it in a couple of months. Take care and be safe.

Josh

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, the Bujinkan is recognized by the Japanese government as being official. That must say something about them as being the "real deal."

No they don't and no it doesn't. That's like saying that the U.S. government recognizes (or even *cares*) about my local shooting club.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jay Bell said:
No they don't and no it doesn't. That's like saying that the U.S. government recognizes (or even *cares*) about my local shooting club.

Jay's right. You might be thinking about the cultural award Hatsumi sensei received from the Japanese government a few years ago. While that was connected with his being a teacher of martial arts, it had nothing to do with any official recognition/legitimization of the arts themselves.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another thing. Dont put down the indy Ninjutsu schools wothout exploring them. This forum is has a wealth of info on them though. The thing about Bujinkan though (not always, however) is that they are "somewhat" moderated, and so you can find out if the teacher is legit. Bujinkan is not moderated like, "Ok, here is the moves, here is the ranking system, dont stray from the main curriculum or else.....".
Shidoshi-ho are pretty much free to teach the kyu ranks however they like...and Shidoshi have quite a bit of freedom. Indy orgs can sometimes be a problem, in which they will teach someone, that person will learn a quarter od the Shodan material, then they'll go and achieve Shodan in Taekwondo and make up there own art and call it "Taekwon ryu Nindo" or something. so yeah, as its been said,.......just watch and find out, but be on your guard about indies (and some Bujinkan, too)

Latest Discussions