school wide problems

• Thread starter angrywhitepajamas
  • Start date
A

angrywhitepajamas

How could I comment on a mistake? For instance on a technique that the entire school is making, especially if the primary person making the problems is a much higher rank. The other problem is that I make the same mistake throughout my excercises. Also the newer students are beggining to pick the mistake up from myself and the instructors. how should I begin to address this problem?

I know its vauge, but I am also speaking of a range of different mistakes that are common throghout the school.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you mean mistakes in executing a technique? Mistakes in protocol?

If it is a school-wide thing, then what you might want to do is discuss this concern with either the dojo owner or the head instructor and see what he/she thinks.

- Ceicei

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It may not even be a mistake, but just something you are not used to seeing... (depending of course on what it is we are talking about)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I visited an affiliated school and found myself wanting to correct the way they quick stepped. Later on I learned the value of what they were doing. I now have two different ways of quick switching my stances and it didn't require that a whole school stop the way they did somthing. If you tell me the problem each of us can give you the way we do it and or were taught, but are you so sure there is not a method to their madness?

OP
P

pknox

Exactly. What you see as a "mistake" may just be a different way of doing things, or something you see as wrong because you have not been exposed to the style's "bigger picture" yet. I would tactfully ask the instructor why they do it that way, as opposed to telling him/her that they are wrong. You may be surprised by the answer. If anything, the instructor will probably be appreciative of the fact that you are thinking.

OP
S

Shinzu

i would do some research on the issue before i approach the instructor. ask some questions in class. see what you get as an answer... maybe it will all make sence.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I became a brown belt, my (5th dan) karate instructor informed me that it was my duty to point out to him any mistakes that might creep into his form.

I was impressed by his confidence in himself--and worried about his confidence in me!

I tell my strudents, Call my bluff. If I look like I'm doing something stupid, ask. But in someone else's school...I'd probably err strongly on the side of protocol and decorum. Is ther a person of intermediate rank you could talk to about it, who might either explain why you're mistaken, or intervene on your behalf?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
When I became a brown belt, my (5th dan) karate instructor informed me that it was my duty to point out to him any mistakes that might creep into his form.

I was impressed by his confidence in himself--and worried about his confidence in me!

I tell my strudents, Call my bluff. If I look like I'm doing something stupid, ask. But in someone else's school...I'd probably err strongly on the side of protocol and decorum. Is ther a person of intermediate rank you could talk to about it, who might either explain why you're mistaken, or intervene on your behalf?

Yes, ask around and learn. It could be something new or from a different point of view. It could be that the technique requires a better timing or is designed for beginners, and once the basic motion is learned things can be adjusted or modified.

i.e. At a Modern Arnis Seminar with GM Remy Presas, I was helping a group of people with their techniques that was being instructed. In this case it was a center lock (* if you do not understand the term it does not matter to the point at hand *) I trapped the hand grabbing my wrist in a cross grab with the opposite hand and rotated to the side not being grabbed. The issue came up with me using a knife hand to demonstrate the technique versus the counter grab, with the arm being grabbed. It does work, yet not the technique being taught that day. A really nice newbie, never trained a day in her life before asked, why was my hand different from GM R Presas's? I stopped and asked her to show me. Everyone else was surprised and or upset, and she apologized because she thought she had made a mistake in protocol by bringing up my mistake. I smiled and told her not to worry, I came to learn. I then saw the difference and adjusted the technique. Remy smiled and later told me my technique was fine and it was ok of me to change it, if it made the students easier to learn, only not to forget the other variations. He was also glad, I was willing to listen to a total newbie for correction.

Think about it. Learn there way and explanation and see if it works for you? See if it works for them? You might find a student that it works for in the future. Learn from everyone, yet if it is wrong, then talk to someone in private and ask why is it this and not this way. I was thinking or learned elsewhere to do it this way.
:asian:

OP
D

Daniel

Just out of respect I'd get the instructor alone first and ask the question. A decent instructor should be happy to find out there is a hole in their technique that they can correct before it hurts someone but I'm sure there are plenty out there that would be angry if proven wrong in front of a whole class.

OP
D

Disco

On the problem in question. Go to the instructor and ask, "I notice I'm doing something different from the other people. Am I doing it wrong"? Making it a question will either correct it in your favor or show you that your misinformed about what you think is a problem. Either way, you win and do not rub somebody the wrong way.....
:asian:

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i never approach this kind of thing in a critisizing way (since i may be the one who is not understanding!)
i just say that i am confused and could we go over the technique step by step. I may also ask what the pro's or con's would be of doing it this way vs. another way.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have 2 students that I have asked to speak to me if hey see me makeing a lage mistake. Many times I will see a look in the eyes of one of them because I have changed a technique a little. I then show them why or tell them try it this way and see if you ca tell me why i did it this way.
Small differences occure from schol to school, instructor to instructor. Large differences should not occue with in a system without some good reason. (Just MHO)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did this problem ever get resolved? If so how did you go about it.
If you tried and faile to get results what happened?

Latest Discussions