Saying by instructors

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our GM says to students who do 3 months of karate then quit and then do 6 months of muay thai, then quit and start kung fu, then quit and start tkd -"man who digs many holes will not find water, only man who digs one hole and keeps on digging will find water". He says it in very broken english and it sounds like something mr. myagi would say.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you look back at these to really need to break them done, the first one is something like this:

We had no air condition or matted floors, why not?

We don't train on matted floors. When I had my own club we used to have no air conditioning or matted floors. It was COLD in the winter and HOT in the summer, but you just get over it :)

In America I think it's much more common to have professional fulltime dojang with A/C and mats, in the UK it's more common to have classes in a leisure centre (mostly without mats) or in school halls/community centres (without mats and A/C).

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't train on matted floors. When I had my own club we used to have no air conditioning or matted floors. It was COLD in the winter and HOT in the summer, but you just get over it :)

In America I think it's much more common to have professional fulltime dojang with A/C and mats, in the UK it's more common to have classes in a leisure centre (mostly without mats) or in school halls/community centres (without mats and A/C).
We train in a large school hall. Timber floors, no mats, no air con. Its bloody hot and humid here at the moment, Ive just got back from class and I doubt Ive got any body fluids left.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I can say is I am laughing my *** off right now.
Yes, I think I had an instructor say that to me before. :)
icon7.gif

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a side note, when I started kung fu training quite a few years ago, we did indeed train on concrete floors without padding. .

Nothing like "Whole body forgong" to make you tough.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think mine is the unsympathetic and somewhat politically incorrect "the ballet school is down the road"

We actualy have a dance class upstairs in the building. I somtimes tell the kids who aren't trying very hard that they are in the wrong room.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
2. When students hold their breath when they spar - "The government hasnt started charging for oxygen yet, so get as much of it as you can before you have to start paying for it".
4. "head kicks are just something you see in the movies"

Per # 2. when they hodl their breath I say they must doing underwater training. Perhaps wanting to be Navy Seals.

Per #4 . Hope Vitor Belfort never visits.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The infamous poor instructor whose "explanation" consists of "Like This" or perhaps even better "not like this, like this".

Or "No pain No Gain"

No Brain no pain.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Push your hips down like you're on a hot date." Sensei O.

Results in half the class laughing and the other half looking confused. We have 6 or 8 13-14 year olds, 3 or 4 18 year olds and the rest are mid 30's or 40's.

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Push your hips down like you're on a hot date." Sensei O.

Results in half the class laughing and the other half looking confused. We have 6 or 8 13-14 year olds, 3 or 4 18 year olds and the rest are mid 30's or 40's.

I suppose the kids laugh and the adults look confused? :D

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
An unknow scientific fact: The older you get, the stronger gravity gets.

Another one for the older crew when it comes to high kicks; The older you get the harder it is to get it up.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Good technique is forged on the anvil of hard training and tempered by sweat."
Grandmaster Sereff.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"Stop sucking." or along the same lines as that "Yeah, do that again, but this time try not to suck."

"When you hit the pad, the person holding it should feel like your going to break their arm."

"You have gaijin (foriegner) butt" -this is what is said when a person doesn't engage their hips properly.

"Next time try doing what I taught you instead of flailing around like a child throwing a tantrum."

"Your strategy to attack his hands with your face doesn't seem to be working."

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I teach at a Y, and my instructor and another instructor teach at community colleges - no dedicated facilities, we're only at our respective locations 2 nights a week, with the occasional extra class on the weekend. In the summer, the classes at the community colleges are outside on the grass.

Another saying: "People who don't breathe will turn blue, pass out, and hit the floor... then we'll have to waste time dragging you off to the side" - this statement repeated in my class caused a student of mine to look at me and then the rest of the class, and suggest they should all hold their breath and pass out so he could have a private lesson.

Phenix_Rider

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"Pain is weakness leaving the body". --Mr. D, although I believe he didn't coin it.

"What did you say, Is this too easy for you?"--Mr. D, usually said just before things get a whole lot harder.

That sounds awefully familiar... I trained with a Mr. D at Penn State.
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" was usually followed by "RIGHT Larry?" *Thump*

"My red belts should be able to FLY"

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I write good statements right on the walls of my dojang. Here's a few:

"AGAIN!" - Master Carmen Gallino

"Where the head goes, the body follows." - Doug Hall

This one is from a nine-year-old student of mine: "It's great that you know it; it's better if you DO it."

And this one is over the archway of my door: "If you're complaining, you're not training!" - Master Ken Corona