Saw a rather interesting “old” movie last night

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Gabriel Over the White House

As I sat there I was thinking about the current state of politics in the USA today and the current world situation as it applies to the USA. It was a bit of naiveté and yet at times rather scary as well as silly and every now and then I found myself thinking I wish we could do that today. Don’t judge it too harshly; it was made in the early 1930s after all. Also it was not released with it was finished because the studio head (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) was a republican and thought that it was a bit of a commentary on Herbert Hoover (Republican) so it was not released until 1933 when Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat) became President

There was one point where I thought, DAMN I wish we could do that and it was immediately followed by the thought damn I am glad we can’t do that.

If nothing else it is an interesting look at Hollywood’s view of the state of politics in the USA in the 1930s

Full movie

Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One to try and find the time for by the sounds of things.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I watched the same movie. I was wondering who was eating all my popcorn. :) As tongue in cheek as it may be, movies like this along with Mr. Smith and American President are pleasant reminders that politicians could be a bit more grounded if they chose to be. While maybe unrealistic in detail, conceptually, they have something to offer. I find them refreshing especially now when even the thought of turning on the tube is repulsive given all the smearing that's taking place. I don't even bother turning on the morning news while getting ready for work anymore. No commercials on Turner though. :)

Latest Discussions