Saw a demo of a guy who was on one foot keeping a big strong man at bay effortlessly. How?

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
How is this possible?

I know its a clever technqiue and once I know it the mystery will dissapear. But right now I have no idea how he did it and I want to know. (it wasnt fake its a common thing in Tai Chi I think its called rooting or something like that)

Anyway his rear foot was flat on the ground. His front foot was off the ground completely. A big strong man was pushing against him and he could not budge him.

Why couldnt he budge him?

Was the Tai Chi guy contracting his hips and core and arms so they go ridgid and become difficult to move?

Hows this done?

Also why is it done?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haven't got the foggiest idea how it is done in Tai Chi.

But in Wing Chun the opponents force is channeled down into the ground through the stance making you heavier and them lighter.

OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
Haven't got the foggiest idea how it is done in Tai Chi.

But in Wing Chun the opponents force is channeled down into the ground through the stance making you heavier and them lighter.

How do they channel it down into the ground without leaning forward? Hows it done in wing chun and why is it done? Cheers!

OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
Um... Just so you know, that "Dempsy Punch" you asked about earlier is this exact same concept. :)

I thought it was something to do with that but I dont understand how because the other guy pushing you becomes your "front leg" so I dont get how it works? :)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Um... Just so you know, that "Dempsy Punch" you asked about earlier is this exact same concept. :)
Interesting comment. There are a multitude of theories about that punch. I read everything I could find and found 'experts' who didn't have the first clue and they were teaching rubbish. Apparently Dempsey wrote a book which talks about that technique but I couldn't find a copy. However, I believe it is a different concept to standing on one leg. The punch is a concept of wright shift. The other is mostly mental.
:asian:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thankyou

How do you do that?

Whats the purpose in combat of doing that?
It's a secret. If I tell you I will have to kill you. ;)

Seriously, it takes a lot of training and its use is in grappling.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
How is this possible?

I know its a clever technqiue and once I know it the mystery will dissapear. But right now I have no idea how he did it and I want to know. (it wasnt fake its a common thing in Tai Chi I think its called rooting or something like that)

Anyway his rear foot was flat on the ground. His front foot was off the ground completely. A big strong man was pushing against him and he could not budge him.

Why couldnt he budge him?

Was the Tai Chi guy contracting his hips and core and arms so they go ridgid and become difficult to move?

Hows this done?

Also why is it done?

was it Chen Xiaowang or a Zhaobao taiji person?

as previously stated, it is rooting

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
You want to be able to attack or defend from a position of balance if at all possible.
If you are being thrown or moved all over the place then you are not balanced.

OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's a secret. If I tell you I will have to kill you. ;)

Seriously, it takes a lot of training and its use is in grappling.

So basically you are saying its too valuable to you the information and you are not willing to share. Thats ok I dont expect you to share all your hard earned knowledge you can just tell me that I wont take offense youve helped me alot already and I appreciate your generosity!

I dont need to be able to do it I just want to understand how it works. I presume it relies on eccentric and isometric muscle contraction being stronger than concentric muscle contraction hence the "immovability" + probably body structure or strong skeletal alignment which also aligns well with the immovable floor?

Coupled with a channeling of the persons energy into the strongest structure you can make so he can never push you in a way where your structure will "give"?

These seemingly mysterious and advanced techniques are often quite simple but its difficult to work out whats going on until you know the trick.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So basically you are saying its too valuable to you the information and you are not willing to share. Thats ok I dont expect you to share all your hard earned knowledge you can just tell me that I wont take offense youve helped me alot already and I appreciate your generosity!

That's not what he meant. When someone asks me about something like this, my usual answer is:

I couldn't tell you, but I can show you. Do you want me to show you? Well, do ya?

For some reason, that usually ends the conversation.....:lfao:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is rooting. There is nothing special about it. If you have the strength and balance to stand on one leg I can teach and have you doing it within a few minutes. It about using your pelvis creating a bow with your body and directing the force through the body to the floor. It is utilized to stabilize the person to receive and redirect pressure, to create power for all your striking, kicking, kneeing.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting comment. There are a multitude of theories about that punch. I read everything I could find and found 'experts' who didn't have the first clue and they were teaching rubbish. Apparently Dempsey wrote a book which talks about that technique but I couldn't find a copy. However, I believe it is a different concept to standing on one leg. The punch is a concept of wright shift. The other is mostly mental.
I'm not sure what you are saying, but you throw the punch before you catch your fall, which means you are standing on one leg. End of story. :)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

You bet your *** you couldn't find it. Championship Fighting is currently selling on Amazon for $200-that's the paperback.

However, it's available online as a pdf, and here.

And here you go, directly from the relevant chapter-Rory Miller also has a good explanation on his blog, one that also deals with how counterintuitive this is to a martial artist whose been taught to never lose their balance..... (I'll ty to post some video later, but the late Carl Cestari had some good stuff on this, as do a few others-it's also hell with a knife in your hand....stab someone with this and they're gonna know it...:lfao: ):

[FONT=cd9800308d99869d16526980#f49100]The Falling Step[/FONT] [FONT=cd9800318d998e9e16526980#f49100]Stand in the middle of the floor. Point your left foot at any distant object in the room. Place your right foot to the rear and slightly to the right of your left foot (Figure 3).For a chap about five feet 10 inches tall, the heel of his right foot should be about 18 inches back (and slightly to the right) of the heel of hisleft foot.Let your arms dangle loosely at your sides; you won't need to use them in the step.Bend your knees slightly. Bend your body forward slightly as you shift your 'weight forward onto your left foot, so that your right foot is restingonly lightly on the ball of the foot. Remember that the knees are still slightly bent. Teeter up and down easily (half-bouncing without leaving thefloor) to make certain you're in a comfortable, balanced position. If your position does not feel balanced and comfortable, move your right footabout slightly- but not much-to get a better balance as you teeter. You are resting only lightly on the ball of your right foot, remember. Stop teetering, but keep the knees slightly bent and your arms at your side.[/FONT]
13-d1932203b3.jpg

[FONT=cd9800318d998e9e16526980#f49100]Now-without any preliminary movement-take a long, quick step forward with your left foot, toward the object at which your left toe had beenpointing (Figure 4). I emphasize: NO PRELIMINARY MOVEMENT BEFORE THE STEP.You unquestionably will be tempted to shift some of the weight from the left foot to the right foot just before you step. But don't do it. Donothing with the right foot, which is resting lightly on its ball, NO PRELIMINARY MOVEMENT! Just lift the left foot and LET THE BODY FALLFORWARD IN A LONG, QUICK STEP. The left foot should land flat and solid on the floor at the end of the step.It is a quick, convulsive and extremely awkward step. Yet, it's one of the most important steps of your fistic life; for that falling-forward lurch isthe rough diamond out of which will be ground the beautiful, straight knockout jolt. It's the gem-movement of straight punching.Try that falling step many times. Make certain, each time, that you start from a comfortably balanced position, that the body-weight is restinglargely on the left leg, that the knees are slightly bent, that the arms are at your side, and that you make no preliminary movement with the rightfoot.I call that forward lurch a "falling step." Actually, every step in walking involves a small "fall." Walking is a series of "falls." But in this particular step, the fall is exaggerated for two reasons: (1) your weight is well forward when you step off, and (2) the step is so long that it gives gravity achance to impart unusual momentum to your body-weight. The solidity with which your left foot landed upon the floor was caused by your momentum. The late Joe Gans rarely missed with a long, straight punch; but, when he did you could hear for half a block the smack of his leftsole on the canvas.Although the weight of your body was resting largely upon your left foot when you stepped off, you didn't fall to the floor. Why? Because thealert ball of your right foot came to the rescue frantically and gave your body a forward spring in a desperate attempt to keep your bodybalanced upright-to maintain its equilibrium. Your rescuing right foot acted not only as did the slope of the hill for the sledding boy, but also as aspringboard in the side of the hill might have functioned had the sledding boy whizzed onto a springboard on the side of the hill. The left footserves as a "trigger" to spring the right foot. So, the falling step sometimes is called the Trigger Step.I warned: DON'T MAKE A PRELIMINARY MOVEMENT before stepping off. Had you followed your natural inclination and shifted your weightto the right foot before stepping, that action would have started your body-weight moving backward-away from the direction in which youintended to step. Then you would have had to lose a split-second while your right foot was stopping the backward motion and shifting your weight forward again before the punching step could be taken.Learn now and remember always that in fighting you cannot afford to give your body the luxury of a useless preliminary or preparatorymovement before shooting a punch. In the first place, your target may be open for only a split-second, and you must take advantage of thatopening like a bolt of lightning. Secondly, preliminary movements are give-aways-"tell-tales"-"telegraphs"-that treacherously betray to your opponent your own next action.Joe Louis was knocked out in his first fight with Max Schmeling principally because tell-tale movements of Joe's left glove disclosed the factthat he was preparing to shoot a left jab. Schmeling timed Joe's telegraphs and smashed him again and again with straight rights to the head.[/FONT]
14-3fa6651a94.jpg

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are saying, but you throw the punch before you catch your fall, which means you are standing on one leg. End of story. :)
Except that to punch they are lifting and dropping the front foot. Totally different to the standing on one leg exercise.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You bet your *** you couldn't find it. Championship Fighting is currently selling on Amazon for $200-that's the paperback.

However, it's available online as a pdf, and here.

And here you go, directly from the relevant chapter-Rory Miller also has a good explanation on his blog, one that also deals with how counterintuitive this is to a martial artist whose been taught to never lose their balance..... (I'll ty to post some video later, but the late Carl Cestari had some good stuff on this, as do a few others-it's also hell with a knife in your hand....stab someone with this and they're gonna know it...:lfao: ):
Yes, that's what I found but I couldn't get the PDF to download. Thanks. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

As I recall, Kirk Lawson has posted Dempsey's book on Lulu... You might check that out.

Latest Discussions