Saturday

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Folks:

Its a long drive down from Sault Ste Marie to Illinois so it gave me some time to reflect on my Saturday spent with the NKMAA folks at Rudys' main school.
Rather than simply say that the folks were "great" (they were) or that the workout was challenging (it was) I thought I would share my thoughts in terms of what people who have NOT made it to such an experience might appreciate knowing.

1.) Travel across from the States to Canada took about 5 minutes. About a minute and a half to cross the International Bridge, 2.5 minutes waiting in line and 30 seconds to assure the nice man in the booth that we had no weapons or evil intentions in coming to the Land of Great Hockey. No passports, money exchange or cavity searches.

2.) Driving around Sault Ste Marie is a challenge only because of the many 1-way streets. Once Kathy and I made it to the Best Western on Great Northern Road we picked-up a concise little street map of the town that made things much easier. Rudys' school was at the OTHER end of SSM, back at the International Bridge area, so I would recommend staying at the Days Inn closer to that end of town.

3. Down the street we ate at North 82 which was a fine steak house. Angus Beef, done right and served by a particularly friendly waitress. We paid in plastic but most of the places are set up to take US currency with barely a blink.

4.) Saturday morning was very much meeting a greeting as starts most Seminars. No attitudes or aloofness here. Many warm, firm handshakes, genuinely concerned questions about the drive and so forth. We bowed in 20 minutes after 10am, which for many seminars is "fashionably late" but drew a comment from Rudy who reminded his students that people had traveled a ways and expected to use their time appropriately. He then mentioned that folks who were interested could make use of extra training in swordwork as a sort of compensation. This was sort of a 1-2 punch for me. It was refreshing to have someone press for promptness but wonderfully surprising to have a Kwan Jang rearrange things to make sure this oversight was made-up for.

5.) The following comments about content come from my vast (???) experience in the world of seminars. As a 4th dan I am a bit past the place where I need to be taught one more time how to do "Turning Leaf" or "Four Directions Throw". From where I am in my Hapkido career the nuances are much more important, as are the views and contributions of my peers. The high points that I came away with for my day with Rudys people included the following.
a.) A deceptively effective stretching form that I will be using with my students as a warm-up for both staff work AND a quick and efficient intro for MTHand.
b.) An intro to the kuk sul approach to swordwork which included considerable work for the hips and thighs with its deep movements to and from the floor.
c.) A wonderful examination of footwork as it interfaces with even the most simple techniques.
d.) An examination of rope (belt) work as it interfaces with MThand techniques.
6.) Instruction was very much a group effort. By this I mean that Rudy provides the overall guidance for the group with gentleness, concern and true support and the individual pairs work WITH each other giving feedback and providing comments on application and execution. Time evaporated.

I have worked to pinpoint any negative experience in my mind and unfortunately I simply can't come up with any. People worked together great and I saw not one instance of anyone pushing some agenda. For myself I think to only area I would have liked to have seen modified might be the amount of time spent on any single aspect of training. I vote for a 5 minute minimum per drill, technique or method in order to give the best chance of both people doing and receiving the activity. So much material, so little time.

For people who are interested in experiencing Rudys' approach first hand there are seminars coming up in Houston and out in Oregon and I am sure Kat Kelly and Kevin Janisse will be making information known. Do yourself a favor and attend at least one of Rudys' seminars to experience a truely rewarding approach to the Hapkido arts. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

M

Master Todd Miller

Bruce,

Glad to hear the seminar was a good one. I would like to hit one of GM Rudys seminars if possible. Are there any in the New England area scheduled? :asian:

Take care
Todd Miller
Korea Jungki Hapkido & Guhapdo Assc.
www.millersmudo.com

K

kwanjang

glad2bhere said:
Dear Folks:

Its a long drive down from Sault Ste Marie to Illinois so it gave me some time to reflect on my Saturday spent with the NKMAA folks. Bruce

Da Soo IS a long way from just about anything, but the drive is easy as the I-75 is accessible from many places. For us Northerners who have to drive three hours to the next city, it is just a nice little jaunt to Chicago:)

glad2bhere said:
1.) Travel across from the States to Canada took about 5 minutes. About a minute and a half to cross the International Bridge, 2.5 minutes waiting in line and 30 seconds to assure the nice man in the booth that we had no weapons or evil intentions in coming to the Land of Great Hockey. No passports, money exchange or cavity searches.
Bruce

Warning, the Customs folks CAN get troublesome at times, and most people who have been here a time or two mention that they are training at my place. Since I have taught the various LEO forces (including Custom agents on both sides of the border) as a public service for some thirty years, it helps:)

glad2bhere said:
2.) Driving around Sault Ste Marie is a challenge only because of the many 1-way streets. Once Kathy and I made it to the Best Western on Great Northern Road we picked-up a concise little street map of the town that made things much easier. Rudys' school was at the OTHER end of SSM, back at the International Bridge area, so I would recommend staying at the Days Inn closer to that end of town.
Bruce

There are a number of places (various prices) to lodge on Bay street, and it is close to the main Mall for the ladies to keep busy. Many of the younger folks simply stay at the Dojang to make things more affordable.

glad2bhere said:
3. Down the street we ate at North 82 which was a fine steak house. Angus Beef, done right and served by a particularly friendly waitress. We paid in plastic but most of the places are set up to take US currency with barely a blink. Bruce

US dollars should give you an extra 30 - 50 %. It fluctuates.

glad2bhere said:
4.) Saturday morning was very much meeting a greeting as starts most Seminars. No attitudes or aloofness here. Many warm, firm handshakes, genuinely concerned questions about the drive and so forth. We bowed in 20 minutes after 10am, which for many seminars is "fashionably late" but drew a comment from Rudy who reminded his students that people had traveled a ways and expected to use their time appropriately. He then mentioned that folks who were interested could make use of extra training in swordwork as a sort of compensation. This was sort of a 1-2 punch for me. It was refreshing to have someone press for promptness but wonderfully surprising to have a Kwan Jang rearrange things to make sure this oversight was made-up for.
Bruce

I felt that the extra hour of sword training was the least I could do to negate the 20 minute delay. I also noticed that some people forgot to do their push-ups for being late:) I let it go this time, but you can be sure I will insist on it next year (if it happens again). Old habits are hard to change, and seminar or class... I teach them all the same way.

glad2bhere said:
5.) The following comments about content come from my vast (???) experience in the world of seminars. As a 4th dan I am a bit past the place where I need to be taught one more time how to do "Turning Leaf" or "Four Directions Throw". From where I am in my Hapkido career the nuances are much more important, as are the views and contributions of my peers. The high points that I came away with for my day with Rudys people included the following.
a.) A deceptively effective stretching form that I will be using with my students as a warm-up for both staff work AND a quick and efficient intro for MTHand.
b.) An intro to the kuk sul approach to swordwork which included considerable work for the hips and thighs with its deep movements to and from the floor.
c.) A wonderful examination of footwork as it interfaces with even the most simple techniques.
d.) An examination of rope (belt) work as it interfaces with MThand techniques.
6.) Instruction was very much a group effort. By this I mean that Rudy provides the overall guidance for the group with gentleness, concern and true support and the individual pairs work WITH each other giving feedback and providing comments on application and execution. Time evaporated.
Bruce

Isn't that always the way. Time flies when you are having fun. At my mid sixties, I can't believe how fast the main part of my life sorta got lost. I have to make the most out of what is left:)

glad2bhere said:
I have worked to pinpoint any negative experience in my mind and unfortunately I simply can't come up with any. People worked together great and I saw not one instance of anyone pushing some agenda. For myself I think to only area I would have liked to have seen modified might be the amount of time spent on any single aspect of training. I vote for a 5 minute minimum per drill, technique or method in order to give the best chance of both people doing and receiving the activity. So much material, so little time.
Bruce

Most people came on Thursday (some came on the Monday), so many had already been given some of the content of the seminar. I also keep an eye out to see if the majority of the group is ready for the next drill. Sorry if I rushed you a bit.

glad2bhere said:
For people who are interested in experiencing Rudys' approach first hand there are seminars coming up in Houston and out in Oregon and I am sure Kat Kelly and Kevin Janisse will be making information known. Do yourself a favor and attend at least one of Rudys' seminars to experience a truely rewarding approach to the Hapkido arts. FWIW. Best Wishes,
Bruce

Thank you for your comments Bruce. I always learn from feedback, and I'll make note of the various comments I hear so I can improve things. Main thing is that it seems you and everyone else had a good time and came away with something. Over the years, most people will find that 90% of the things presented in seminars are no great revelations; however, it is that other 5-10% that keeps us growing no matter how old we get or what rank we have.

FWIW. To address some of the concerns that have been voiced on the forum. No one was asked to make any changes to whatever stances, techniques, or actual art they practice.

What we DID look at is how the various arts, techniques, stances, etc. relate to each other. This gives everyone at least a look at how they can best use their own techniques to deal with other approaches, and IMHO this can only help you regardless of the art you practice.

In closing. The cost of the seminar was not anywhere near the $300.00 someone mentioned. Some folks stayed a week, and others stayed a day. Everyone paid a whopping $45.00. It was rumored on this forum that I am "in it" for the money?????

K

kwanjang

Master Todd Miller said:
Bruce,

Glad to hear the seminar was a good one. I would like to hit one of GM Rudys seminars if possible. Are there any in the New England area scheduled? :asian:

Take care
Todd Miller
Korea Jungki Hapkido & Guhapdo Assc.
www.millersmudo.com

Hello Master Miller: So far, I have nothing going in that area, but I am sure we will link up somewhere someday. For two people who like to learn, we can't help but run into each other:)

OP
G

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"....Over the years, most people will find that 90% of the things presented in seminars are no great revelations; however, it is that other 5-10% that keeps us growing no matter how old we get or what rank we have......"

This is a very difficult thing to give Rudy kudo-s on. Not because he doesn't deserve tons of recognition but because I think the recognition needs to be public and I fear that folks reading this might not understand what I am talking about.

Rudys' comment was right on the money. Past a particular point seminars do not provide any huge revelations for BB who are a bit farther along. Instead there are small, mostly chance, comments or observations which truely make such events worthwhile. As we both commented to each other that day untold numbers of light bulbs have clicked-on in peoples heads just by virtue of comparing notes during break, over lunch or after the day has closed out and people have collected in someones' motel room to blab into the wee hours. The nature of the seminar is not usually the number of techniques one pumps through but the frequency of insights one can take back to their individual schools. The Gueppies will always find new techniques interesting. For myself there are the subtle observations regarding weight transfer, economy of motion or training skills. For comparison, I will share that I had the honor of attending a seminar with Lim Hyun Su right here in Chicago. The two pieces that made the afternoon worthwhile were a re-acquaintance with forearm conditioning I remembered from Kyukushin days, and an invitation to re-assess the order in which I present some basic material to my beginners that made more sense. No extraordinary techniques, just a gentle tweeking of material and small things to consider. BTW this is the very same reason I have stayed with GM Myung as many years as I have. Anybody can put on a seminar and bang through 60 techniques in six hours. It takes a teacher to listen to a question, and coach the student to discover the answers for themselves.

Sooooooooooo, if people are following this, I hope they come away with the idea that Rudy's seminars are quite a bit more than just getting together to dump people on their butts. I'm talk about an educational experience that makes individuals better practitioners AND better people, all at the same time.

Best Wishes,

Bruce