Sandlot Hapkido

OP
G

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought people were putting things together for the up-coming International in Jackson. Was I wrong?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

S

SmellyMonkey

I dunno. I thought sandlot hapkido was something you or Kevin would start.

Anyone have a link to the upcoming event?

Thanks,
Jeremy

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
SmellyMonkey said:
I dunno. I thought sandlot hapkido was something you or Kevin would start.

Anyone have a link to the upcoming event?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hello Jeremy,

I am sure you are saying this in fun, but please know that I have the greatest respect for the fact that Bruce, Rudy, Stuart, Mike, yourself and I among others can debate these issues in a civil way. It should speak volumes to you about who these men are - and how much we all care for Hapkido.

I get a laugh out of the guys that act like a discussion is the most evil avenue for real clarification of our points. We don't agree, but at least we keep the level of repect there, even if our voices go up a tad from time to time.

Now, about that sandlot, the building I just leased was not cleaned for 15 years - the carpet is just a dirt holster, so for at least a few days, I am in the sandlot for real. :ultracool

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, Bruce and I were planning an event but could not agree on whether the sand should be Korean or Japanese in origin. :idunno:

OP
G

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Jeremy:

I appreciate your interest but I would like to see this effort get off on the right foot. By this I mean that I think it would be a mistake to assign the effort to a particular individual or even group of individuals. When kids get together for a sandlot game they all just sorta turn-up and sort things out after they see who they have to work with. I heard Mike (Dunn) talking about Jackson, and I think we need to think in terms of using that as the first opportunity to get together and see what we can get done. People can use the various presentations, and we can either develop something during the day or get together after hours and work on things. The key to this as I see it would be people pitching in rather than just showing up and waiting for someone to "do-me-something". Did you have a particular agenda that you wanted to advance? Your in-put would be every bit as valuable as anyone elses', right?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
G

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
".......Actually, Bruce and I were planning an event but could not agree on whether the sand should be Korean or Japanese in origin. ....."

I don't suppose we could get someone to dredge-up some stuff off the bottom of the Eastern Sea---- say half-way between Korea and Japan? :)

Best Wishes,

Bruce

S

SmellyMonkey

You guys are nuts. :)

So what about this link? Can anyone post a link so I may read more about this upcoming event in Jackson?

OP
G

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jackson, MS, March 11-13, 2005
Master J. R West, 8th Dan, of West's Hapkido Academy, will host the "22nd International Hapkido and Korean Martial Art Seminar". The host Hotel will be the "Holiday Inn North" on the I-55 Frontage Rd. in Jackson. For exact dates and further information, watch this site or contact Master West at (601)-856-8487 or at [email protected] .

You can find the info here: http://www.hapkido.com/seminar_map.htm

Courtesy of Doc Clean (Andy).

Best Wishes,

Bruce

S

SmellyMonkey

Thanks Bruce.

So is this event good, hard training? Or is it mostly demonstrations? I've never been to a hapkido seminar before. I'd be interested if it was 4-6 hours of hard training every day.

Jeremy

D

Disco

If you go thru the site (link), they will list the seminar breakdown by times and what's being taught.

S

SmellyMonkey

Sorry, all I can find is what Bruce posted.

"Jackson, MS, March 11-13, 2005
Master J. R West, 8th Dan, of West's Hapkido Academy, will host the "22nd International Hapkido and Korean Martial Art Seminar". The host Hotel will be the "Holiday Inn North" on the I-55 Frontage Rd. in Jackson. For exact dates and further information, watch this site or contact Master West at (601)-856-8487 or at [email protected] . "

I've clicked around other various links and cannot find the breakdown by time that you mentioned.

Any help?
Thanks,
Jeremy

K

kwanjang

SmellyMonkey said:
Thanks Bruce.

So is this event good, hard training? Or is it mostly demonstrations? I've never been to a hapkido seminar before. I'd be interested if it was 4-6 hours of hard training every day.

Jeremy

Hello Jeremy:
One demo by the presenters, but it is not too long. The training is as hard as you want to make it. Most do, others loaf around (very little of that though), and still others join me in the parking lot during lunch for more than is scheduled lol. Two years in a row, I did lunch hour "soft" breaking sessions with a LOT of people getting right into it. Hotel staff thought there was a riot out in their parking lot lol.

Usually there are four rings going, and folks can choose who they wish to train with. A number of people from the forums are actually presenting, and the sessions are about one hour each. Because I have to drive back 1500 miles, I leave on Sunday morning. So, I normally do just two regular sessions, one on Friday evening and one on Saturday.

The schedule might include weapons such as: Dahn Bong with Geoff, Cane with Harold, Knife with Ray, I have done Rope techniques for the past two years (because I can't bring other weapons across the border), and you will find just about every type of empty hand technique training you might want.

You might see people like Geoff Booth, Hal Whalen, Holcombe Thomas, Fabian, Ray Terry, Dennis Mc Henry, Rich Hodder, Jere Hilland, and myself. JR usually does one long session for black belts only, and a number of his very able Masters also work some great sessions. Loads of fun:)

OP
G

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Now, if I could just dove-tail on what Rudy shared.

JR's event is organized along the lines of furnishing a wide assortment of skills and experiences from which the practitioner can cherry-pick those activities which are most interesting to them. The "sand lot hapkido" approach as I envision it, would be to turn this around 180 degrees. People could submit or openly request to investigate something that they want to work on. I think the "parking lot hapkido" that Rudy provided over lunch was exactly along these lines. A bunch of folks knew something they wanted more information on, and knew Rudy had experience in this. They approached him and there was a "spontaneous" activity. People went away with a very specific itch having been scratched. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

S

SmellyMonkey

Ohhhh...sounds like fun. Thanks Rudy and Bruce.

Is there enough room on the mats for everyone to train at the same time? Or do some people have to sit out to make room for others to train?

And about sandlot hapkido. Are we going to use the Jackson seminar to begin planning for other events? I've spoken about sandlot hapkido to my master, and she would be willing to help out. We don't have a lot of mat space because the school is small, but I think we could host if the group isn't very big.

Thanks,
Jeremy

OP
G

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Regardless of how large the groups are there always seems to be enough space. People just naturally work things out. There is also the matter that many of the groups are presented a couple of times and at different places on the schedule so that if there is a particularly large turn-out for one presentation, people can beg-off and participate in the next presentation of the same material.

As far as finding a place to get together, thats pretty much a no-brainer. The challenge is whether or not people will participate regularly in planning and then support the activities by attendence.

As far as mats go I have become pretty adept at packing my mats in the back of the truck and driving to wherever things are happening. Unfolded, each mat is about 5'X10' and I have about 12 of them. Haven't had any problems yet.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Latest Discussions