Safest to ccw, 1911 or poly?

PatMunk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Frostbite ... I taught firearm qualification for a state law enforcement academy for several years and what we found that helped was when practicing ... instead squeezing the trigger ... think about pressing the trigger with the Glock and Pull the trigger with others ... if you squeeze the trigger you might not just squeeze the trigger but the whole hand which will cause problems with the sight alignment and hitting the target ... The only thing you want to move is the trigger finger while firing ....

Remember ... good stance, proper grip, good breath control, sight picture, sight alignment and press the trigger .. you should see some improvement with a little practice.

hope this helps

Frostbite

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Pat! I'll definitely try to keep that in mind this weekend. As I said, I really want to like Glocks. Not much to look at but so reliable and so many great sizes/calibers to choose from.

Although, if H&K ever made a 10mm, I'd be all over that.

Frostbite

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, I adjusted my grip and my trigger pull on my Glock and while I was shooting a bit left, the grouping was pretty tight, so overall I'm happy. Thanks to everyone who offered some advice. :)

bamarammin87

White Belt
Reaction score
100_0845.jpg

You can see what I carry. (Yes I'm also starting a workout plan to lose that belly)

100_0841.jpg

100_0843.jpg

You just have to be familiar with the gun and be DANG sure you get used to flipping that safety off. Shoot thumbs forward (as you should already) and just rest your right hand thumb on the safety, so you'll automatically flip it off. It's "safer" than alot of other guns to carry. Nothing at all dangerous about it, heck it's got a grip safety PLUS a nicely designed thumb safety (which was added later, it wasn't on the original 1911 JMB designed, because it's not needed)

bamarammin87

White Belt
Reaction score
The real safety is inbetween your ears. If you are not safe there in your gun handling, it does not matter what mechanical safety your gun has.

Brian, I've shot 1911s, P35s, Smith 39s, revolvers, and Glocks in very fast drawing and moveing matches in IPSC and IDPA for well over 20 years. Most of the time from concealment. Never ever had a problem with any of them.

All are quite safe if handled safely.

And as for chamber loaded, it not only is safe, but highly desireable in concealed carry (CCW.) You can't guarantee you will have both hands to rack the slide nor can you guarantee you will rack the slide all the way back either in a tense moment! Therefore if you carry a simi-auto, chamber loaded is the way to go. And if you fear chamber loaded..... get a revolver.

Deaf
Good post. What good is a gun that isn't loaded?

bamarammin87

White Belt
Reaction score
I had no safety issues with my 1911. I loved the trigger pull and the rigidity of an all metal platform. Mine had no MIM and was built from all wilson combat parts. It felt great in the hand and the thumb safety afforded me a nice high and tight grip. Disassembly was more of an issue especially with the 2 pc full length guide rod as I had to have and allen wrench handy to loosen it. I liked the fact that palm safety would not work if its depress halfarsed. What I did not like was its tighter tolernaces and the lack of a loaded chamber indicator. If the gun was dry the slide would stick... when lubed it ran smooth as butter.

I sold it in favor of my XD but thats not to say that I wouldnt purchase on again and use it for carry. I have my eye on the Dan Wesson line

I see you're eyeing dan wessons. I LOVE mine. It's a pm-7 in 10mm. Pm-10. It's SUPER accurate, about 5 times more accurate than I can shoot it. They are built using quality steel, no MIM crap on there, mainly ed brown parts, and DW tool steel parts. It is by far the best 1911 in that price range. NO comparison to a kimber. The fit on them is amazingly tight, and mine has functioned perfectly. I would highly recommend a dan wesson.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reading the above posts, no one seemed to address capacity. My CCW choice is my Paraordnance .45 1911 frame with Colt Combat Commander slide -- hi-cap. I have no problems deploying the critter while addressing the safety, and know I'll have the ordnance to trade for a bit.

Hate the idea of running out -- picture Tweety in a Sylvestre cartoon saying, "awww....no mo' boowits." If I'm going to wet myself, I'm going to be well prepared for it.

D.

bamarammin87

White Belt
Reaction score
Reading the above posts, no one seemed to address capacity. My CCW choice is my Paraordnance .45 1911 frame with Colt Combat Commander slide -- hi-cap. I have no problems deploying the critter while addressing the safety, and know I'll have the ordnance to trade for a bit.

Hate the idea of running out -- picture Tweety in a Sylvestre cartoon saying, "awww....no mo' boowits." If I'm going to wet myself, I'm going to be well prepared for it.

D.

Yeah....us 1911 guys ain't got as much as the plastic wonders do...but that's the reason I carry a spare mag!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah....us 1911 guys ain't got as much as the plastic wonders do...but that's the reason I carry a spare mag!

Have you tried Virgil Tripp's Cobra mags yet? He now has 10 rounds available...

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is a personal choice but if you are going to go through the time and effort to carry concealed (legally of course) you should probably have a round in the chamber.

1911's are good guns because even locked and cocked there is a grip safety and you can still engage the frame safety lever for an additional step that only requires a thumb movement.

The only time I would not have a round in the chamber is if I carried a striker fired weapon that only has a trigger safety. The only reason I say this is because trigger safeties are not that safe and carried a loaded, cocked firearm inside your pants or even in a pancake holster is too much chance of a accidental discharge in waiting.

I think Glock and S&W make great guns like this but they are best used by police and sheriffs who keep them in a solid holster out from the body slightly, everyday concealed carry with these typses of weapons are much more risky. If you really want a striker fired, locked and cocked weapon that is a polymer then go with the Springfield XD series, they offer safeties now and have a grip safety like the 1911's so ADs are much less likely.

Before you decide shoot a lot of different guns, I tend to carry a steel snub nosed .357 magnum or a full size S&W TSW9 (dependant upon weather, situation and how I feel) in the everyday but for camping/hiking/fishing it is the TSW9 (with +P+) or a hand cannon like a .44 mag revolver.

1911's are heavy while you can get a light weight .380, 9mm, .38 or .357 that will do the job and then some. (dont rule out wheel guns unless you are set on an auto and a .45).

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only time I would not have a round in the chamber is if I carried a striker fired weapon that only has a trigger safety. The only reason I say this is because trigger safeties are not that safe and carried a loaded, cocked firearm inside your pants or even in a pancake holster is too much chance of a accidental discharge in waiting.

Many here would disagree.

If someone carries a Glock with a good quality holster that covers the trigger guard, there is simply no way that the gun can accidentally discharge. As long as someone uses the most important safety (the one between the ears), and keeps his finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire, then it's perfectly safe.

If someone cannot exercise enough discipline to keep the finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire, then I wouldn't be too keen on his ability to remember to engage a manual safety.

Glocks will not discharge, unless someone physically pulls the trigger. The Miami PD put a chambered Glock 17 in a shotgun clay chucker, and threw the loaded gun at a steel-reinforced concrete wall multiple times. Not once did it go off.

bamarammin87

White Belt
Reaction score

If someone carries a Glock with a good quality holster that covers the trigger guard, there is simply no way that the gun can accidentally discharge. As long as someone uses the most important safety (the one between the ears), and keeps his finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire, then it's perfectly safe.

If someone cannot exercise enough discipline to keep the finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire, then I wouldn't be too keen on his ability to remember to engage a manual safety.

Glocks will not discharge, unless someone physically pulls the trigger. The Miami PD put a chambered Glock 17 in a shotgun clay chucker, and threw the loaded gun at a steel-reinforced concrete wall multiple times. Not once did it go off.
Glock's have a internal safety, now to mention the safety physically on the trigger. If you are responsible, they are excellent guns. I love my 1911 but I love glocks too. Looking to get a g20 or 29 sometime in the near future. Very safe guns, just don't "mexican carry" without a holster.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As others have said, the Glock SafeAction design is all but impossible to make fire unless something presses the trigger. I suppose if you try hard enough, you could do it... but just about every AD with a Glock I'm aware of has involved either a finger or other object inside the trigger guard.

harold

Green Belt
Reaction score
The best gun for CCW is one that you are comfortable with, accurate, reliable, and will actually carry. If, for you, that means 1911, then the best is a 1911. If, instead, it means a Glock, Kel-Tec, or a J-Frame, then that is the best.

All this rigmarole over "best this" and "best that" is baloney. A gun that goes "bang" every time you pull the trigger and will hit what you're aiming at is what you want.

Yes, we all have our personal preferences and that exactly what they are: PERSONAL. Make your gun your personal weapon. I'll stop before I ramble any more.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

That is almost word for word what I tell my handgun students. Well said sir.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you want to carry your 1911 with a round in the chamber, it's perfectly safe to do so, as long as you have a well-made 1911.
A well made handgun is key, but people often overlook the importance of a well made holster that is well matched to your carry piece and its design and safety features. Too often I see people carrying a well made handgun with a round chambered, in a holster that does not offer enough stability, retention, does not protect the trigger enough or is too soft to guarantee protection etc. Of course, these issues also need to be addressed with training regarding the proper draw and re-holster.

But they do require the discipline to keep your finger off the trigger except when you intend it to shoot.
Don't they all? ;)

if you fear chamber loaded..... get a revolver.

Agreed, it seems silly to carry concealed without a round chambered.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A well made handgun is key, but people often overlook the importance of a well made holster that is well matched to your carry piece and its design and safety features. Too often I see people carrying a well made handgun with a round chambered, in a holster that does not offer enough stability, retention, does not protect the trigger enough or is too soft to guarantee protection etc. Of course, these issues also need to be addressed with training regarding the proper draw and re-holster.

No kidding. I've lost count of the number of people who spend 500 dollars for a new Glock pistol, or even 700 dollars for a new HK, but decide to go cheap with the holsters, buying some Uncle Mike's Sidekick ballistic nylon holster.

The sad thing is, that people are going to throw away that holster, and will have wasted 10-20 bucks, when they could have had a nicer leather holster from a decent manufacturer (Desantis, Galco, etc), for 40-50 bucks in the first place.

Even the premium holsters, such as Mitch Rosen, Milt Sparks, etc., aren't too expensive. The Rosen Gunleather company has the "express" line which still offers an excellent product for 75 bucks.

bamarammin87

White Belt
Reaction score
No kidding. I've lost count of the number of people who spend 500 dollars for a new Glock pistol, or even 700 dollars for a new HK, but decide to go cheap with the holsters, buying some Uncle Mike's Sidekick ballistic nylon holster.

The sad thing is, that people are going to throw away that holster, and will have wasted 10-20 bucks, when they could have had a nicer leather holster from a decent manufacturer (Desantis, Galco, etc), for 40-50 bucks in the first place.

Even the premium holsters, such as Mitch Rosen, Milt Sparks, etc., aren't too expensive. The Rosen Gunleather company has the "express" line which still offers an excellent product for 75 bucks.

You speak the truth. Guns won't carry worth a crap in a junky holster most of the time. They're uncomfortable, sometimes unsafe, and don't conceal well. That's why I bought a covert IWB from desbiens for 90 dollars: http://desbiensgunleather.com/iwb.html and I can conceal my full size 1911 in t-shirts or whatever I want to wear. :jediduel:

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I agree, a good holster makes a difference, and I never said that a Glock or similar would easily generate an AD and yes, keep your finger off the trigger until your are ready to shoot but I was just thinking more along the line of a novice or the careless who take it out and leave it on a table or cabinet (etc...) and someone who is interested in guns but doesn't know them cranking off a round. Striker fired guns (I carry one at work, an M&P9) are combat guns and are great LE tools but for off duty I use something with a real safety because it is just one more step someone has to take to make it work. For this reason, unless you need to carry it for work or something else I would not choose it (besides if you get a second chance on the round with a DA pistol you wont with a striker fired gun).

bamarammin87

White Belt
Reaction score
but for off duty I use something with a real safety because it is just one more step someone has to take to make it work.

One a little more time to get shot/stabbed/slashed/killed, especially if you forget the safety and just start squeezing on the hammer. I carry a 1911, but I LOVE glocks just because they are "point and click". It is unresponsible to leave a loaded gun laying out anyways, anybody could grab it and figure out how to turn the safety off and fire it off. I'd rather my gun be faster, then more child proof. I don't children or anybody else near my gun anways. If it's loaded, it's on me, or locked up until I go to sleep. Fewer safeties the better....long as it won't fire when dropped. Same thing with a revolver, heavy-ish trigger pull, no need for a safety. Just point and click. :ultracool

Latest Discussions