Sacrifice

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something I've been thinking of for a while now...

What are you willing to sacrifice for your country? If you believe your country is worth sacrificing for, what makes it so worthy? What is the cost of remainig a free society and a free nation?

I'm not just talking about joining the military, though if you want to discuss that, thats fine... while my primary thought here centers around current affairs in the US, members from other countries are free to reply. The questions are purposely meant to be vague :)

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
at this point, i'm not willing to sacrifice much at all for my country, defined as the government currently running the joint.

i'd be willing to sacrifice quite a bit for the ideals that comprise what one might call the 'myth of america', if i belived there was a reasonable chance of real change in that direction.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
at this point, i'm not willing to sacrifice much at all for my country, defined as the government currently running the joint.

i'd be willing to sacrifice quite a bit for the ideals that comprise what one might call the 'myth of america', if i belived there was a reasonable chance of real change in that direction.
So if the Canadians banded toguether with the Albanians and mounted an attack you would flee to Mexico?

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thats part of the problem I think... you are willing to actually do something as long as your country is exactly what you want it to be... we have gone from "Ask not what your country can do, ask what you can do for your country" to "Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you"...

The US has never been perfect, and I never expect it to be perfect. However, its my home. I love it as much now as I did when Clinton was president or when Democrats controlled congress. In the next election in '08, if things change hands, I'll -still- love my country and be willing to sacrifice. I just have a hard time understanding the opposite...

I see alot of bumper stickers saying things like "GW is not MY president". While I understand what they are trying to say, he IS your president, and the electoral college said so. In '08, we will have a different president, and even if I did not vote for him, he will still be my president.

So, you don't like the war, so you won't be willing to sacrifice... so, some people don't like abortion, so lets get them out of service too. Some people don't like the legal system and Supreme Court decisions. Those people don't need to serve either. Some don't like paying high amounts of taxes. Perhaps they got a speeding ticket and now don't like the police... Where does it stop? Every decision and law passed makes huge decisions. If we EVER go to war will you EVER be content? What on earth justifies EVER going to war?

Personally, there are alot of things I'd love to change. There are always flaws that will exist. Thats part of how this country works. Perfection is not out there. Regardless, I'm still happy and proud to be an American. I still believe in what you call "the myth of america". Perhaps I'm a fatally optimistic :) I think I'm not alone though...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, what happens when a person stops believing in your country? What becomes important then? Is Nationalism every supposed to be so strong that it overrides those things?

I find this particular phrase, though somewhat misapplied, apt, "Athiests make poor suicide bombers."

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, what happens when a person stops believing in your country? What becomes important then? Is Nationalism every supposed to be so strong that it overrides those things?

I find this particular phrase, though somewhat misapplied, apt, "Athiests make poor suicide bombers."
Atheists are a fairly scucidal bunch actually, but they lack the motivation to wipe out the infidel.
Sean

Latest Discussions