Rubber folder trainers?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've done a few searches for these and haven't had any luck.

Does anyone know of any folder trainers that aren't metal and are decent for contact? I'd like to be able to train deploying and attacking with the knife against a live opponent.

Thanks,

Jeff

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never seen a rubber folder...What's wrong with the aluminum one???

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's the kind I use..Feels and looks real...

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never seen a rubber folder...What's wrong with the aluminum one???
I've gotten a few complaints about them. The adrenalin gets going and we tend to hit a bit on the hard side.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We use them in the academy because we want the rookies to get pumped...

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those NOK ones look pretty good.

I just wish I could find something like that that would make me unfold it as well.

Jeff

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That you are not going to find at this time. Maybe in the future.
But I want it now!!

Seriously though, this morning we did a little ground work with weapons. Had my red guns there and all that. So anyways, I'm under someones mount, and I grab the rubber knife and stab, no problemo. But the guy I'm working with starts going on about how that wouldn't have worked with a folder. So I say lets try it. Out comes the alluminum folder and gosh, when I strike with it he gets all whiny then. So I thought I'd look for something a little less painful.

Jeff

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But I want it now!!

Seriously though, this morning we did a little ground work with weapons. Had my red guns there and all that. So anyways, I'm under someones mount, and I grab the rubber knife and stab, no problemo. But the guy I'm working with starts going on about how that wouldn't have worked with a folder. So I say lets try it. Out comes the alluminum folder and gosh, when I strike with it he gets all whiny then. So I thought I'd look for something a little less painful.

Jeff

If you train to go to your folder while grappling it is amazing how often you can get it out and go to work with it. We are a tool based people so when training your grappling look for the spots when you can access your folder. (at least that is my motto)

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep, my training partner learned that the hard way this morning!

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love pulling a training knife while grappling...especially if they didn't know I was about to do it. I've noticed many people get this sort of "blank" look on their face when they realize that, while they may have been doing okay, now they're getting shanked. I know...I'm evil :D

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love pulling a training knife while grappling...especially if they didn't know I was about to do it. I've noticed many people get this sort of "blank" look on their face when they realize that, while they may have been doing okay, now they're getting shanked. I know...I'm evil :D
Yes, that is a great pleasure of mine as well.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But I want it now. But the guy I'm working with starts going on about how that wouldn't have worked with a folder. So I say lets try it. Out comes the alluminum folder and gosh, when I strike with it he gets all whiny then. So I thought I'd look for something a little less painful.Jeff

Tell him "You want reality???" "This is reality!!!"..Tell hin that the 20 something year old non-MA police rookies would be insulted if I used a rubber knife for realistic knife defenses..

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tell him "You want reality???" "This is reality!!!"..Tell hin that the 20 something year old non-MA police rookies would be insulted if I used a rubber knife for realistic knife defenses..
Good point.

In his defense, it was a rather hard strike right to the kidney. Then again, that's right where I'd want the knife to go.

Jeff

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good point.

In his defense, it was a rather hard strike right to the kidney. Then again, that's right where I'd want the knife to go.

Jeff

Yea there are certain areas that would feel pain more..I can sympathize ..I checked with the cop that I teach with because he has this large collection of weapons both real and non..Nothing close to a plastic folder...Sorry..I tried...

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Drac.

I'm sure someone will make one soon though.

Heck, I'll talk to my brother in law about it. He designs all kinds of plastic stuff.

Jeff

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have some good aluminum folders. (though they do not open) I use these quite often when grappling to show where it could be pulled out. My folding trainers are just to thin and scary to be moving around fast having someone pull them out.

I have some good action flex sparring knives that work great for grappling with a knife using full resistance. Definately working with tools during your grappling will make you appreciate being on your feet. I would hate to be involved in a violent enounter with someone on the ground and them pulling out a knife. Definately that would not be pleasant unless everything went your way.

Latest Discussions