Rou Chyuan martial art compilation(1)

dre2308

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
柔拳(Rou Chyuan): Chinese muti-style martial art.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

dre2308

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Note: The Karate style uniforms we wear are for the purpose of grappling while practicing our wrestling technique. We are Chinese people practicing traditional Chinese martial arts.

Uncle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well that was a wonderful example of breakfalling, dancing, and highly compliant training but very much lacking in anything I'd call martial arts.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Note: The Karate style uniforms we wear are for the purpose of grappling while practicing our wrestling technique. We are Chinese people practicing traditional Chinese martial arts.
We Chinese people have our own wrestling jacket. There is no need to borrow Karate style uniform to train traditional Chinese martial arts wrestling techniques.

shangpuyin.jpg

scjacket.jpg

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
But they may not have easy access to them... The karate uniforms are perhaps much more convenient and cost effective.

OP
D

dre2308

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We Chinese people have our own wrestling jacket. There is no need to borrow Karate style uniform to train traditional Chinese martial arts wrestling techniques.

The picture you showed above is (保定快跤)Bao Ding Kuai Jiao, which is only a type of wrestling in China and has also been learned by Grand master Tong while he was in China.

We don't wear that type of uniform since wrestling(or throwing technique) is only a fragment of our style.

Yes, Karate style uniform may be foreign but it is quite convenient. However, if you wanna go deeply into the origin of the uniform, it is actually from China too!!

Search
左衽 右衽 if you understand Chinese character.

Honestly we would love to wear something more of Chinese culture, but I guess the karate uniform was what Grand master Tong could get at his time and it was more economically efficient cuz you don't want to buy a new uniform every time after you practice, right?

We too have Chinese style uniform in our style.
(What the master wears at 2:06 )

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The picture you showed above is (保定快跤)Bao Ding Kuai Jiao, which is only a type of wrestling in China and has also been learned by Grand master Tong while he was in China.

We don't wear that type of uniform since wrestling(or throwing technique) is only a fragment of our style.

Yes, Karate style uniform may be foreign but it is quite convenient. However, if you wanna go deeply into the origin of the uniform, it is actually from China too!!

Search
左衽 右衽 if you understand Chinese character.

Honestly we would love to wear something more of Chinese culture, but I guess the karate uniform was what Grand master Tong could get at his time and it was more economically efficient cuz you don't want to buy a new uniform every time after you practice, right?

We too have Chinese style uniform in our style.
(What the master wears at 2:06 )

Wow... you really have no idea who he is...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was just pulling your legs. I would be the last person on earth who cares about "uniform" (I like to train with T shirt and shorts). :)

The picture I showed was 善扑营(Shan Pu Ying). During the 清(Qing) dynasty, there were 200 Chinese wrestlers served as emperor's body guard. The Chinese wrestling jacket was commonly used in China during the ancient time. There was unwritten rule that when you had your wrestling jacket on, if anybody challenged you, you had to accept the challenge. It was called "hero skin" and people had it on with great honor.

OP
D

dre2308

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was just pulling your legs. I would be the last person on earth who cares about "uniform" (I like to train with T shirt and shorts). :)

The picture I showed was 善扑营(Shan Pu Ying). During the 清(Qing) dynasty, there were 200 Chinese wrestlers served as emperor's body guard. The Chinese wrestling jacket was commonly used in China during the ancient time. There was unwritten rule that when you had your wrestling jacket on, if anybody challenged you, you had to accept the challenge. It was called "hero skin" and people had it on with great honor.

Cool. I didn't know this history to be honest. Thanks for the information. I recognize the same uniform used in (保定快跤)Bao Ding Kuai Jiao so I know they must have some connection.

Grand Master 常東昇((aka Flying Butterfly) of Bao Ding Kuai Jiao is the expert in this art and some of his students are still teaching in Taiwan so that is how I know it.

When 善扑营(Shan Pu Ying) organization disbanded, the wrestling art spread throughout the country forming many lineages and master 常東昇 is one of them.