RIP Net Neutrality.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So Alabama elects a democrat to Senate, and the FCC revokes net neutrality (and Ia m surrounded by people stuck in apathy)

It will at bare minimum affect our pocket books, if not throttle our access to content all together.

making my way through the tumbleweeds of the study, I found this:
10 years before the election....
upcoming dictatorship and the constitution....
The Coming Dictatorship, and the Constitution

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just so folks know what Net Neutrality actually is before the argument ensues

Net Neutrality
Net neutrality is the principle that Internet service providers must treat all data on the Internet the same, and not discriminate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication.[2] For instance, under these principles, internet service providers are unable to intentionally block, slow down or charge money for specific websites and online content.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is still hope that the courts will have more sense than Der Trumpenfuhrers stooges in the FCC.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a complicated issue. I think I'll go read an old fashioned paper book.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just so folks know what Net Neutrality actually is before the argument ensues

Net Neutrality
we got a taste of it, when Comcast extorted Netflix in exchange for not throttling bandwidth for Comcast customers for using Netflix streaming....

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is this not politics?
I keep seeing it come up on apolitical forums, which always leads to political arguments, but somehow everyone denies it's political.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is this not politics?
I keep seeing it come up on apolitical forums, which always leads to political arguments, but somehow everyone denies it's political.
only if we make it that way. we could be expressing our concern of the longevity of the MT sight. :angelic:

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Net neutrality can be discussed without politics, I think, but almost never is (including in this thread, already).

Politics are like marathon training, cross fit and veganism. People will work it into a conversation even if 1) it's unrelated, 2) no one asked.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Politics are like marathon training, cross fit and veganism. People will work it into a conversation even if 1) it's unrelated, 2) no one asked.
And when a thread is posted specifically about politics, the conversation will absolutely end up there.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Net neutrality isn't a political issue. It's a business one and in my opinion Big Business needs to be regulate because morality doesn't run the business, money does. We have seen examples of this in the past with how factories in the U.S. polluted the water and regulations were created to stop that because business isn't going to take the moral high ground. London has been through this. The U.S. has been through this. India and China are going through this. All of examples of what happens when businesses aren't regulated. People are regulated by laws, Businesses are subject to similar laws to prevent behavior that is destructive to the well being of society.

If you don't think businesses will exploit you or other companies if there aren't any laws about communication then think again. Businesses will do anything to make money so long as it's not illegal, and in some cases even if it's illegal they will still try to get away with it. Many of the business laws that are out there today that regulate the behavior of business, exists only because of the natural exploitative tendencies that businesses have. If big business would exploit people then you can be guaranteed that they will exploit the control over the Internet connections if given the chance to.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Net neutrality isn't a political issue. It's a business one and in my opinion Big Business needs to be regulate because morality doesn't run the business, money does. We have seen examples of this in the past with how factories in the U.S. polluted the water and regulations were created to stop that because business isn't going to take the moral high ground. London has been through this. The U.S. has been through this. India and China are going through this. All of examples of what happens when businesses aren't regulated. People are regulated by laws, Businesses are subject to similar laws to prevent behavior that is destructive to the well being of society.

If you don't think businesses will exploit you or other companies if there aren't any laws about communication then think again. Businesses will do anything to make money so long as it's not illegal, and in some cases even if it's illegal they will still try to get away with it. Many of the business laws that are out there today that regulate the behavior of business, exists only because of the natural exploitative tendencies that businesses have. If big business would exploit people then you can be guaranteed that they will exploit the control over the Internet connections if given the chance to.
Net neutrality isn't strictly a matter of whether businesses are regulated or not. It's a matter of what the point of the regulation is. And as something that is regulated by the government, and upon which opposing sides of the US political system tend to disagree, it tends to become a political discussion.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Net neutrality isn't strictly a matter of whether businesses are regulated or not. It's a matter of what the point of the regulation is. And as something that is regulated by the government, and upon which opposing sides of the US political system tend to disagree, it tends to become a political discussion.
well, if we manage to keep the conversation polite, there should be no problem.
We have reached a time n our lives where we cannot afford to be apolitical anymore.
Because everybody is:
you boss is using politics to keep your wages down, your landlord to raise your rent, and so on and so forth.

And currently we are at a cross roads where almost all life intersects with politics.
A noted philosopher called mankind 'Zoo-on Politicon' - political creature. An Anchient Greek I assume.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are no opposing political sides of net neutrality. The only opposing sides are those who would benefit from net neutrality and those who would benefit from not having it. Politics have nothing to do with it. People would have you believe that it's a political issue so that you overlook the reality of it. The more you think about it as a Red vs Blue policy then less you'll focus on what it really does. To prove my point, the first thing kempodisciple asked was if it was a political issue. He didn't ask what are the effects of having or not having net neutrality. He didn't ask what does net neutrality do or what did it prevent ISP providers from doing. If you want to muddy the waters about an business issue then you paint it as something political. This way you know people will either support or object to it without really understanding what it is.

I can guarantee that Comcast does not look at this as a political issue regardless of how others may see it as a political one.

This is with net neutrality
april-26-2017-640x420.jpg

This is without Net Neutrality.
Net Neutrality
What was removed since the end of Net Neutrality?
"Comcast doesn't prioritize Internet traffic or create paid fast lanes." Since this is no longer illegal there is no reason for the companies not to do this and make more money for doing it. I'm not sure but I'm thinking Google and Microsoft may have already caught on to this which is why they started laying down their own telecommunications cables Facebook and Microsoft Are Laying a Giant Cable Across the Atlantic
Tech companies are laying their own undersea cables

By laying their own cables they would be free from any "foul play" by companies that currently provide Internet Connections. This makes sense to me because it eliminates the risk of having an ISP company being your competitor and sticking it to you the same way Comcast stuck it to Netflix. It's the same way that you pay to have cable access to specific channels. Soon your ISP will package your Internet like that.

You can actually see Comcast heading into this direction already. So anyone looking at this from a political view point is being side tracked by someone who doesn't want you to understand what is going on.
Xfinity Internet Service Speed

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We have reached a time n our lives where we cannot afford to be apolitical anymore.
True Words. Especially since much of what goes on in creating policy is often lobbied by big business and other interest groups and many of them are often there for non-political reasons to get a policy made or to get a policy removed that will benefit them. The political stuff that most people hear on the radio and news isn't even what's actually going on in Washington. Even Trump stated that he used to pay money to both parties in congress. The reason probably being that it takes both parties in congress to pass stuff.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are no opposing political sides of net neutrality. The only opposing sides are those who would benefit from net neutrality and those who would benefit from not having it. Politics have nothing to do with it. People would have you believe that it's a political issue so that you overlook the reality of it. The more you think about it as a Red vs Blue policy then less you'll focus on what it really does. To prove my point, the first thing kempodisciple asked was if it was a political issue. He didn't ask what are the effects of having or not having net neutrality. He didn't ask what does net neutrality do or what did it prevent ISP providers from doing. If you want to muddy the waters about an business issue then you paint it as something political. This way you know people will either support or object to it without really understanding what it is.

I can guarantee that Comcast does not look at this as a political issue regardless of how others may see it as a political one.

This is with net neutrality
april-26-2017-640x420.jpg

This is without Net Neutrality.
Net Neutrality
What was removed since the end of Net Neutrality?
"Comcast doesn't prioritize Internet traffic or create paid fast lanes." Since this is no longer illegal there is no reason for the companies not to do this and make more money for doing it. I'm not sure but I'm thinking Google and Microsoft may have already caught on to this which is why they started laying down their own telecommunications cables Facebook and Microsoft Are Laying a Giant Cable Across the Atlantic
Tech companies are laying their own undersea cables

By laying their own cables they would be free from any "foul play" by companies that currently provide Internet Connections. This makes sense to me because it eliminates the risk of having an ISP company being your competitor and sticking it to you the same way Comcast stuck it to Netflix. It's the same way that you pay to have cable access to specific channels. Soon your ISP will package your Internet like that.

You can actually see Comcast heading into this direction already. So anyone looking at this from a political view point is being side tracked by someone who doesn't want you to understand what is going on.
Xfinity Internet Service Speed

Coming from Comcast?!
It's about worth as much as a GOP election promise to the unwashed masses.

They already throttled bandwidth for netflix customers, until the company caved and paid the ransom!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So in this thread so far, there have been

-A reference to a democrat being elected

-A reference to the constitution/implication that this election is causing a dictatorship

-The suggestion that those in the FCC are "Der Trumpenfuhrers"

-Denial that the government regulating things is political (i don't know about red vs. blue, but for libertarians the government regulating business is absolutely political)

-And this phrase "It's about worth as much as a GOP election promise to the unwashed masses."

How exactly is this not political? Because as far as I can tell it is absolutely political.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And regarding the comments that my statement was distracting, or that it needs to be talked about. I agree that this involves business, but it is also political, and those stating it's not are in some form of denial. And I agree that it needs to be talked about, but this forum banned political discussions, and there are other places for political issues to be talked about (basically anywhere you look on the internet).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
-The suggestion that those in the FCC are "Der Trumpenfuhrers"

Wrong. Der Trumpenfuhrer is singular. The stooges are his appointed minions. And the chief stooge is a former employee of one of the companies (Verizon) that stands to make a huge profit off this.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wrong. Der Trumpenfuhrer is singular. The stooges are his appointed minions. And the chief stooge is a former employee of one of the companies (Verizon) that stands to make a huge profit off this.
Which does nothing about my point.

Latest Discussions