Rickson Gracie interview about tournament/competition Black Belts

Discussion in 'Grappling / Brazilian Ju Jitsu / Wrestling' started by Danny T, Dec 27, 2014.

  1. Danny T

    Danny T Senior Master

    • Supporting Member
    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2002
    Messages:
    3,971
    Likes Received:
    2,065
    Trophy Points:
    388
    Location:
    New Iberia, Louisiana USA
    Just listened to an audio interview with Rickson Gracie talking about ranking.

    I paraphrase but what he stated is:
    At black belt if you are only a tournament or competition black belt then you are an amateur BB. If you are an instructor in a school you should be a professional BB and he strongly recommends you to continue in self defense aspect of JJ and become a complete BB. As a tournament or competition only BB you are 25% of what is BJJ. The other 75% is about self-defense and is not the same as competition BJJ.

    I find this very interesting. Thoughts?
     
  2. Buka

    Buka Grandmaster

    • MartialTalk Mentor
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2011
    Messages:
    9,247
    Likes Received:
    5,809
    Trophy Points:
    448
    Location:
    Maui
    If I was going to stake my life on the advice of a Martial Arts instructor......he'll do just fine.

    I agree with what he said. I feel kind of silly writing that, but I do agree.
     
  3. Brian R. VanCise

    Brian R. VanCise MT Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2004
    Messages:
    27,744
    Likes Received:
    1,515
    Trophy Points:
    263
    Location:
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Hard to argue with Rickson here. The self-defense aspects of BJJ have been overlooked by many Brazilian Jiujitsu schools. This is unfortunate for those who attend a competition only academy. Rickson is correct in that BJJ is more than just competing in a tournament! Not everyone will compete so self-defense skill sets should be a regular component in a BJJ Academy.
     
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Danny T

    Danny T Senior Master

    • Supporting Member
    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2002
    Messages:
    3,971
    Likes Received:
    2,065
    Trophy Points:
    388
    Location:
    New Iberia, Louisiana USA
    Agreed.
    Rickson's new organization's rules are designed to push their competitions toward a more self defense aspect. Like deducting points for pulling guard or stalling. Should make bouts more interesting.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Hanzou

    Hanzou Grandmaster

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2013
    Messages:
    5,035
    Likes Received:
    718
    Trophy Points:
    263
    I consider myself fortunate that I attended more "traditional" Bjj schools. When people tell me that they don't learn stand up, throws, takedowns, and how to deal with someone hitting them while grappling, it really blows my mind.
     
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Brian R. VanCise

    Brian R. VanCise MT Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2004
    Messages:
    27,744
    Likes Received:
    1,515
    Trophy Points:
    263
    Location:
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I feel fortunate in that respect as well!
     
  7. Tony Dismukes

    Tony Dismukes MT Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    Messages:
    5,377
    Likes Received:
    3,861
    Trophy Points:
    448
    Location:
    Lexington, KY
    I would use different terminology. I would agree that someone who only learns the tools for tournament competition is only learning a portion of the art. "Professional" I would reserve for someone who is making a living at the art (or training full time as if they could make a living at it).

    I should have my BJJ black belt in another couple of years or so. I train both the sportive and the combative aspects of the art. I will not be a professional black belt. I will be a hobbyist who trains 10-12 hours per week.

    The Miyao brothers train (so far as I know) pretty much exclusively for sport grappling tournaments. They literally live in their gym. (Not a figure of speech - they live there.) They train full time - probably more than 40 hours per week. They are professionals.
     

Share This Page

Search tags for this page

buka rickson

,

rickson gracie on competition