Review and thoughts, please

student of the game

White Belt
Reaction score
I posted this out of sheer curiosity. I remember the school from 5 or 6 years ago as a Universal Kempo Karate school. I noticed that the sign had changed and was curious what ya'll thought. Thanks for the input.

Greetings I am new to this site but have been involved in Kenpo for over 20 years. The school in question used to be a part of the Universal Kempo Karate Association its chief instructor was Mr Chris Rigone, who is a student of Professor Buell. When the sign changed on the school I asked one of the instructors which had competed at the commonwealth games were they all changing to Tracy's Kenpo? His only answer was you're joking, right? I have invited Mr. Perez and his students to tournaments on many occasions to never receive a response of any kind. I once asked if I could observe a class and was told classes were for students and instructors of his school only.
That is all I can say about that hope it helps in some shape or fashion

student of the game

White Belt
Reaction score
To my knowledge, Tracy's is the only system that uses the phrase, "traditional kenpo" to describe what we teach. I could be wrong. But Mr. Perez and his student who owns the school in Hampton are the only Tracy's Kenpo schools in the state.

Was Mr. Perez the owner of the school when it was Universal Kempo Karate? Or has he moved into a location that just happened to be a studio in a past life?

Yes Mr. Perez was the owner when it was Universal Kempo

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings I am new to this site but have been involved in Kenpo for over 20 years. The school in question used to be a part of the Universal Kempo Karate Association its chief instructor was Mr Chris Rigone, who is a student of Professor Buell. When the sign changed on the school I asked one of the instructors which had competed at the commonwealth games were they all changing to Tracy's Kenpo? His only answer was you're joking, right? I have invited Mr. Perez and his students to tournaments on many occasions to never receive a response of any kind. I once asked if I could observe a class and was told classes were for students and instructors of his school only.
That is all I can say about that hope it helps in some shape or fashion

Being nosy here, what sport were they doing and what country did they represent in the Commonwealth Games? Always enjoy them and they are in Scotland next time.

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a few observations:

- No videos or pictures of training

- No lineage or list of associations

as has been said before, DO NOT sign a contract until you are comfortable with the instructor and the classes.
Be sure to take advantage of any introductory program or trial lessons.

Chris

Latest Discussions