Revenge? As a Martial Artist?

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
As for the Criminal Justice System, the way it is now days it should be called the Criminal's Justice System!
In terms of spousal abuse/domestic violence, I would say the emotional damage and lack of self assertiveness, determination to get out of there is the BIGGEST problem.

Most state laws state that the officers can arrest/detain a suspected abuser if there is evidence of the abuse (bruises and such) and the abused isn't the one pressing charges, instead it is the state doing it.

If there is no evidence of abuse right away and an officer asks the person straight out "do you need help" and the person refuses or doesn't try to get out of there....doom on you until you do.

It take two people for stuff like that to happen and these people find each other all the time until one or the other makes a personal change.

The criminal system is not designed to counsel abuse victims.

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Revenge is unnecessary. The idea that people will eventually get what is coming to them is not some mystical karmic idea. A rapist who gets away in one incident will be spurred on by his evil insanity to do it again, and he will get caught. Not only that but he has to live with the fact he is scum and he knows it. Once he is caught, if it is in my home state, rapists, once in the penitentiary tend to get a taste of their own medicine. A person who gets someone else unjustly fired, as in Technopunks analogy, well, I've seen things like things like that in real life, and eventually that supervisor will get found out. It is probably no secret to most people around that person that he/she is incompetent, lazy, untrustworthy, etc. It'll come out, because character always shines through. People who do bad things, bad enough to be revenge worthy, are almost always going to self destruct anyway. Liars, cheats, violent men and women are putting themselves through their own kind of hell every day, and are self destructing with hatred, fear and guilt. Life punishes you for being a scumbag so I don't have to.

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Basically, what comes around goes around! But in a revenge sort of way!
:idunno:

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Either way, we dont hear if they do because its kept under wraps. Maybe its the idea that people fear nothing will happen to the person who has caused them this pain therefore they believe its up to themselves to go out and "act" revenge. I think we already crossed the jist of it earlier in the thread though.

Regards

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
To defend your honor is not the take revenge

To bring justice is not to take revenge

Evil will win, when good men do nothing.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sin said:
To defend your honor is not the take revenge

To bring justice is not to take revenge

Evil will win, when good men do nothing.
Good men don't act on motives of revenge and know the difference between 'personal justice/satisfaction' (revenge) and social justice/legal action (both civil/punitive).....

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong but I hear a lot of people playing some serious headgames. Seems like what is coming across is that "Revenge is bad---unless you have very, very good reason". Put another way one could say "Revenge is good--- if you have a very very good reason". Either way what I think is coming across is that people want to put a Intellectual explanation on something that is emotion-driven. Emotions are not Thoughts and Thoughts are not Emotions. Intellect and Emotions are related or connected in some ways but are still very different. Maybe this is kind of confusing. Here, let me put this another way.

If you are in a situation where you think revenge is a viable alternative then maybe you should go ahead. Just don't kid yourself that what you are doing is all that different from what the person who injured you did. My thought is that you had better have a pretty heavy-caliber rationaliztion to get you by later in life when you finally have to face the fact that when push came to shove there was just that slender rationalization's difference between what you did and what the other guy did.

But now lets suppose that you DON'T do the revenge thing. Suppose you go and take the higher ground. Maybe the guy gets "karma'd" and maybe he doesn't. Maybe you learn about it and maybe you don't. Fact is, though, you are now caught in a kind of no-mans-land. You didn't take revenge yourself, but you also haven't been able to let it go, either. And you spend a lot of time dwelling on "what if---".

Fact is that the dynamic of Revenge actually has very little to do with hurting another person. It has to do with keeping your head occupied so you don't have to look at how you might have contributed to yourself getting hurt. BTW: Thats one of the reasons Revenge is so "hollow" when it finally happens. Sure you get that initial gratification, but then you have nothing to occupy your thoughts the rest of your life about what you might have done to get yourself into that situation in the first place. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
glad2bhere said:
Maybe I'm wrong but I hear a lot of people playing some serious headgames. Seems like what is coming across is that "Revenge is bad---unless you have very, very good reason". Put another way one could say "Revenge is good--- if you have a very very good reason". Either way what I think is coming across is that people want to put a Intellectual explanation on something that is emotion-driven. Emotions are not Thoughts and Thoughts are not Emotions. Intellect and Emotions are related or connected in some ways but are still very different. Maybe this is kind of confusing. Here, let me put this another way.

If you are in a situation where you think revenge is a viable alternative then maybe you should go ahead. Just don't kid yourself that what you are doing is all that different from what the person who injured you did. My thought is that you had better have a pretty heavy-caliber rationaliztion to get you by later in life when you finally have to face the fact that when push came to shove there was just that slender rationalization's difference between what you did and what the other guy did.

But now lets suppose that you DON'T do the revenge thing. Suppose you go and take the higher ground. Maybe the guy gets "karma'd" and maybe he doesn't. Maybe you learn about it and maybe you don't. Fact is, though, you are now caught in a kind of no-mans-land. You didn't take revenge yourself, but you also haven't been able to let it go, either. And you spend a lot of time dwelling on "what if---".

Fact is that the dynamic of Revenge actually has very little to do with hurting another person. It has to do with keeping your head occupied so you don't have to look at how you might have contributed to yourself getting hurt. BTW: Thats one of the reasons Revenge is so "hollow" when it finally happens. Sure you get that initial gratification, but then you have nothing to occupy your thoughts the rest of your life about what you might have done to get yourself into that situation in the first place. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Thats a nice post, I see what you mean. I guess it depends mainly on circumstance, your not going to take revenge on somebody in the same way if they accidently bumped your car compared to somebody who murdered your pet. I'm only using this as an example.

There probably is a balance, you must come from the situation not dwelling on the past yet knowing what you did was "right" and therefore you can settle your mind! Not that life is ever like this of course :idunno:

Latest Discussions