Respect

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So when you perform an act of common courtesy for a stranger, do you consider this to be "being polite to people that you don't respect?
It depends on where the stranger is and what the stranger is doing. A stranger called my house telling me that my computer was causing problems on their server. She wanted me to turn on my computer and allow her to remote into my computer to fix it.

I did respect her because I knew what she was trying to do. I politely told her thst I was in IT and that I would fixed it. Then I hung the phone up. Some may say I was bring polite. I just didn't see any need or benefit to me to get angry and call her names. I figure if she takes me as stupid then I'll pretend not to be irritated towards her.

Was I polite to her? Probably not. The "common courtesy" was probably more of a deception towards her just like her politeness was her deception towards me.

I learned a long time ago that not everyone who is nice to you respects you.

Have you already decided that a particular stranger with whom you never spoken is someone that you don't respect?
Depends on the person in the situation. Self defense teaches us not to take rides from strangers. We tell kids not to talk to strangers. If you have a peep hole in your door it's because you think the stranger may be someone dangerous. People buy ring to see who is at the front door. People buy security cameras to capture strangers stealing.

So yes. Sometimes I decide that I don't respect someone I never spoken to. Talking is not a requirement for giving respect or disrespect.

In the case you gave for being polite to coworkers that you don't respect, there are extrinsic motives behind that.
Not not really. Besides motives sounds underhanded. Maybe sometime's it's the best way to work and get things done

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've heard people say they don't respect another person until they earn that person's respect. I've often felt that's backwards.

I read something today on Facebook and it was both simple and profound to me. I've long felt this way but never heard it expressed so succinctly.

Respect doesn't have to be earned. Respect is the default. Disrespect has to be earned.

In other words, I respect everyone, until and unless they prove themselves unworthy of my respect.

Respect that you give someone is a reflection of you, not them. Certainly a person can be respectable or disrespectable, but they don't own how you react to them; that comes from you.

Showing respect is an integral part of yourself. Until a person shows themselves to be unworthy of respect, how can they deserve your disrespect?
For me, it also depends a lot on the context. I'm a lot slower to lose respect for a fellow student in class than I am to lose respect for someone arguing with me online.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
The God I follow gave a command to love people. When asked what the greatest commandment was He said “Love the Lord your God with all your heart….This is the greatest and most important commandment. The second is like it: Love you neighbor as yourself” also “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do the same.” So, there are those that I might not respect what they do or even hate what they do, but still respect them as people. They might have to pay a price to society, but there is hopefully room for redemption.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe these words have hierarchy.

1. friendly
2. polite
3. like
4. love
5. respect
6. loyal

1 < 2 < 3 < 4 < 5 < 6

For example, if I'm loyal to everybody, what does that mean?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe these words have hierarchy.

1. friendly
2. polite
3. like
4. love
5. respect
6. loyal

1 < 2 < 3 < 4 < 5 < 6

For example, if I'm loyal to everybody, what does that mean?
I'm surprised love isn't closer to loyalty.

Latest Discussions