Request Your Viewpoints

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
As far as i know he has black belts in tkd and hkd, And he put them together and calls it sung ja do. that would be 3, as far as the others. from what i understand it's a, I give you rank, you give me rank thing. I hear a lot of people with there own styles , org's. , etc. Do this. Go figure !!!! MITHIOS

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Turner
I hate to be one to judge, but the vast majority of the organizations that he is a member of are known diploma mills.

I am deeply embarassed to see that the organization that I founded is now used by such frauds. The International Dragon Kenpo Association was never intended to be an organization that confirms or confers rank. It's goal is to bring together martial arts to help them learn and grow, not to be a mutual ego stroking club.

Thanks for showing this Disco, it confirms my need to get out of the association. I refuse to be associated with a group that lacks fundamental integrity.

I am having a tuff understanding this post/ your profile?

1. You mentioned above that YOU founded an organization?
2. Your profile states that your 25 years old!
3. You have been teaching for 11 years, since 14 TEACHER!
4. Your Profile also states that you have been a student for 17 years and your a white belt?

I am not trying to sound critical, but what kind of classes were you teaching at 14..........

I too started in the martial arts young!

:asian:

OP
P

progressivetactics

where is this guy from? I need to train with him.....woooooo haaaaa..what a leader he must be.....a real go getter...to achieve so much....wow.....

What should we call him ? Probably grand poo bah!!!

Isn't standard soke protocal 8th dan?
I thought when you were appointed soke of a system, you were granted 8th dan....how come he is 10th in everything? Am I wrong?

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
The original site appeared to be the result of a paper mill. *shrug* If he continues to propogate such nonsense it will show on the mat and catch up with him to his detriment.

OP
T

twinkletoes

Boy, all those inflated ranks bother me, but not nearly as much as

DOCTORATE of PHILOSOPHY

As someone with a degree in philosophy, that just burns me up. If I ever go for my doctorate, I will follow it up by beating this guy silly.

~TT

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Christian Sokeship Federation?
Karate for Christ?
MY BS meter just went off the scale!

:sniper:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Damian Mavis
I'm a little curious what a 14 year old can teach people in the martial arts too......

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Anyone who has doubts as to what/whether a 14 year old can teach has never met Ms. Diserae Phillips. Frankly, before I met her, I'd have said the same thing, Damian. However, people at my studio still talk about what it was like to be on the receiving end of one of her techniques, and she taught kata to both my instructors. (she's since moved to Idaho with her family, but they come back to visit every so often...but not often enough for us, I assure you). She just received her 3rd degree black from Mr. Tatum, and she's truly earned every single stripe. Her dedication reminds me of many of the young athletes we see competing in the Olympics. Just goes to show ya, you can't always judge by age.

http://www.primalkenpo.com/

http://primalkenpo.com/diserae.htm

This is what Mr. Tatum had to say about her:

Comments by: Larry Tatum

"Over 34 years of teaching I've had the opportunity to work with some talented people of all ages. Most recently I was introduced to a young lady named Diserae. Her father ask me if I would work with her, I said yes and to bring her in on a Saturday. Not knowing what to expect, I asked her to demonstrate a few techniques. As she began, I could see that she moved like a warrior, not like a person doing Kenpo, but rather like a person that had embodied Kenpo.

Through the teaching of her father, Diserae had captured the essence of the concepts and principles of Kenpo. Her action is backed by precision, power, and speed generally found in older students. (a tribute to her father's teaching)

For the most part, my teaching to 7 of 9 (a nick name I gave her) was not to teach her how to move but rather how to take what she had already learned and interpret it in other dimensions which in turn would shed light into the strategies of Kenpo.

Diserae recently turned 15 and I can only imagine how she will grow in the art. Her parents have produced one of the best young Kenpoist I've seen in years."

ok.... now back to your usual topic.

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To those asking me questions, sorry. I haven't been paying much attention to this particular thread.

I started training in the martial arts when I was 7 out of pure need. I was a geek and I had to learn how to defend myself. I was too ashamed of that status to ask for martial arts lessons so I studied on my own. I went to the library and read bruce tegner books and any other book that I could find. I didn't have a TV so I didn't know much about the martial arts as a whole. What I learned I learned primarily on my own. After 6 years of study and fighting other children from the neighborhood started coming to me to learn from me. I pretty much only taught how to punch, kick, block, throw, joint locks, simple self defense techniques and basic tactics. Most of the training was sparring. I don't mean to give the impression that it was quality instruction, but it helped in giving my students confidence enough to stand up for themselves and gave one student in particular the ability to go longer without his asthma medication.

I was 15 when I began my formal martial arts training. My Dad noticed that I was teaching my brothers and other children and decided that he was going to show me some of what he knew from his days in Kung-Fu, Tae Kwon Do and Judo, but after one lesson he discovered that I was far better than he was at his brown belt skill level and paid for me to start learning Goju-ryu. I quickly earned my green belt and was content to remain at the green belt level for a couple of years.

I stayed with Goju-ryu until I joined the military at 18 at which time I picked up Hapkido. Hapkido was almost exactly the same stuff that I taught as a child, with the exception of the more flashy kicks. So I was quickly the favored student and was considered for Black Belt. The instructor went TDY and I was shipped out while he was gone so it never happened.

On the new post I was put working shifts so I didn't have access to instruction like I would have liked and so I purchased the Dragon Kenpo video learning course and studied it diligently. Meanwhile a Kempo school opened up within a few months in the facility where I worked so I was able to attend classes regularly.

After 20 months I was off of the shift work and took up Tang Soo Do in addition to my video study course and Kempo. Tang Soo Do was almost identical to my Goju-ryu training so I was given my Green Belt.

Over all, I studied Shorinji Kempo for 3 years and Tang Soo Do for 3 years. My Shorinji Kempo instructor had family issues come up and was frustrated with his inability to promote his students and so he stopped teaching. He stopped by my house one night to talk about it and saw the Dragon Kenpo certificate for 3rd Dan laying around and was excited about it and encouraged me to take over as the instructor. I was stupid and I did and taught for 6 months. The Tang Soo Do instructor got wind of it and I got a dressing down for 'lying to him' and saying that I'd only had a green belt. He said he knew I was lying but wasn't able to prove it until someone learned that I was teaching the class and told him and so I was scheduled for the equivilency test in Tang Soo Do. My tour of duty was over a month before that was to happen and so I moved and never tested.

Dragon Kenpo is primarily a home study course that is the standard certificate factory that any true martial artist hates. You get a video of techniques, a cassette tape that shares philosophy and a belt certificate. You don't have to test in order to earn it so it is the perfect sham. However the instructor introduced me to ideas that I agreed with and so I got involved. Well, shortly after getting out of the military I learned that Mr. Hutchison was trying to sell the Dragon Kenpo rights on E-bay. I thought that Dragon Kenpo could be turned around into a worthwhile home study course and so I created the International Dragon Kenpo Association to do just that. I wanted to gather together the black belts in Dragon Kenpo who had earned their blacks in other arts and transform Dragon Kenpo into something to be proud of instead of the sham. Also, Mr. Hutchison didn't do much towards creating a sense of brotherhood and so noone knew about other students in their area so that they could train together and this is something else I wanted to corerct. Well, I gathered together 10 Black belts and created a board, but the board decided that it was just going to be a fellowship organization for the sharing of ideas and I guess to be a mutual ego stroking society... So Dragon Kenpo will remain a sham.

Maybe it's apparent, but maybe it's not, but the study of the arts is my life. I go to work in order to pay for my study. Even while I'm at work I'm constantly studying and trying to learn new things. Ever since I was 7 I've trained for over 6 hours a day up until I left the military in 2000. The study is not just what I do, but it is who I am.

That should answer how I taught at 14, how I started my own organization. So... why the white belt? Perhaps that is now obvious from my story. My passion was Dragon Kenpo and no matter how much effort is put into turning straw into gold, it just can't be done. I was a fraud and now I'm starting over. It's a difficult thing because my past students, veterans of the martial arts, still write me and tell me of another instructor they've tried to study with but they just don't compare to my instruction. Teaching is something that I'm good at, it's something that I love. It's difficult for me to empty the cup. I know that I want to teach and when I inform potential instructors in my area of that they tell me that I'm not welcome to study with them because they don't want the competition. So I have to turn to distance learning, but I'm being super careful about starting that path. I'm doing my best to humble myself and do it right...

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Still sounds like a load of hooey to me.
Teaching at 14?

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do as you will, you sound like you are well on your way to having a few 10th dans and doctrins of your own?
:rofl:

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Thank you for your opinion, you are completely and fully welcome to it.
I'm also qualified to have it. How about you?

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by tshadowchaser
Please keep the posts friendly.
We can disagree but in a polite way
No impoliteness so far.
Don't confuse determination with rudeness, please.

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my previous post I made it clear that I have been a fraud in the past. I made it clear that I had lied and taught when I really shouldn't have. So it matters little to me if I am called a liar because the description would be accurate. What would I have to gain from calling myself a liar and lying in the process?

Honor is honor and it is not something that someone can take away or defend. If a person is honorable then they will act with honor and if a person is dishonorable they will act with dishonor. I have no good reason to get all huffy with someone believing that I'm a liar. However I'll allow determination to pay off...

I dug through some of my things and I have pictures of me and my students training when I was 15 and I also have the curriculum that I wrote at the same time. It'll take me a several days to get those pictures scanned and the notebook that I handed out to all of my students transcribed into word document (I'll even try to capture some of the stupid illustrations that I made in the notebook.) But I'll offer it up as proof and as an example of what I taught. It's certainly not a well done curriculum nor do the pictures display any real skill... hey, I was 15... I just said that I taught, I didn't say that I did it well. It is just an experience that has helped formulate who I am and where I'd like to go.

Comments were made about opinions. Well, the problem is that I don't have to be qualified to give an opinion. For me it is not an opinion it is a matter of fact.

Doug

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Comments were made about opinions. Well, the problem is that I don't have to be qualified to give an opinion.
:shrug:

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So what exactly are you saying? You mention acting with or without honour so which is it for you? Did you act with honour in the past? Or are you trying to say you acted dishonourably in the past but are now trying to live with honour to make up for your negative actions? I didn't really understand what you mean, I can't even tell if you are admitting to the lies and scam you did because you feel guilty or because you simply could care less.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Latest Discussions