Request Your Viewpoints

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Mavis,

Sorry for the confusion. I acted dishonorably in the past, but I put al that aside so that now I'm acting with honor and starting over.

I admit it because it is what is right and because I felt guilty. I only taught for 6 months because the guilt was so strong that it made me physically sick and I wound up in the hospital.

Mr. Kehoe,

Ok, perhaps your 'determination' is not to seek the truth. What exactly are you determined to do? To prove that I'm young and stupid? Fine, I think that is an accurate statement.

Doug

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Turner
Mr. Mavis,

Sorry for the confusion. I acted dishonorably in the past, but I put al that aside so that now I'm acting with honor and starting over.

I admit it because it is what is right and because I felt guilty. I only taught for 6 months because the guilt was so strong that it made me physically sick and I wound up in the hospital.

Mr. Kehoe,

Ok, perhaps your 'determination' is not to seek the truth. What exactly are you determined to do? To prove that I'm young and stupid? Fine, I think that is an accurate statement.

Doug

If I were you I would not include things that you are not proud of in your bio, that would have avoided this entire discussion. I commend you for trying to redeem yourself and doing the right thing now but you should not run around telling people you have been studying 20 years or teaching since you were 14(15) if it was done in a dishonorable way or if you agree you were not qualified to do so. I started in the martial arts when I was 7 also and am now 28 I didnt start teaching until 2 years ago and my training from day one was in a school.

:asian:

OP
T

twinkletoes

Turner,

I think that the reason you are getting such negative responses is because you are trying to straddle a fence that wasn't meant to be straddled.

If, on the one hand, you are into home training, that's fine. It is ok to learn through lots of practice, coupled with a good regimen of training with partners to develop timing, distancing, and expose bad habits in your movement.

On the other hand, if you are into being ranked, running a "legitimate" school, or ranking others, then you need to forget what you've been doing, go to school, work your way up through the ranks the hard way (not by taking equivalency exams or jumping ranks), and earn whatever rank you are seeking.

I think the reason you have stirred such a reaction out of people is that it sounds like you want both. You want your time spent studying without an instructor to count as time spent with an instructor. It won't work like that. Let me see if I can give you a good analogy.

Imagine that you are into building things. You start when you are 14, by reading a lot and then getting supplies and building as many things as you can. You show other kids how to build things. You gain some experience. Someone sees your projects and suggests some classes in design or architecture. You take a few, but never really ride any of them out.

Years go by, and now you decide you want to be an architect. You have tons of experience in building things, but you don't have the degree. You go to college for architecture, but you want to place out of certain classes because you feel your experience has already given you that knowledge. In some ways, you are far more knowledgable than your classmates. In other ways, they are far more knowledgable than you, because they have been studying architecture at this college and you haven't. You decide that instead of getting a degree there, you will open your own architectural school, based on your experiences and observations building things. Now you will give people degrees in architecture.

Experience is awesome. It's the best teacher. There are a lot of martial artists out there who study at good schools but lack real experiences when it comes to the application of martial arts.

Coming from your background, you have experience. You can draw conclusions from the things you have experienced. You have probably learned some valuable things that students of regular schools will not learn. This is all OK, but confusing it with a teaching position in the martial arts is like deciding to open your own architectural college--you didn't go through that program, so why try to look like it? If you didn't go earn a black belt from X school, then it is not appropriate for you to be awarding ranks in that school's style.

If you are going to teach, you need to be very cautious about what you say you are teaching. You also need to be honest with yourself in terms of what you know, and how well you know it.

My personal recommendation to you would be that if you are interested in teaching, and you have a sincere desire to improve your own skills, then find a school, ANY school, that teaches something you would want to teach. At this point, it doesn't especially matter what. Once you do that, talk with the instructor and tell them that you have some mixed experience, but you just want to go through the ranks like everyone else. Once they award you a teaching rank, then go out and stick the appropriate name on whatever you are teaching. It doesn't matter if it's boxing or kenpo or JKD or wrestling or WHATEVER.

And best of luck to you.

~TT

OP
D

Disco

It looks as if everybody so far is in agreement as to the unlikelyhood of mastering that many disciplines. Now to answer the second part / question that was asked.

Would your viewpoint change, if the person in question was considered "legit" by the general martial arts society?

Turner - Commendable that you seek correctness. Foolishness to bear your soul to strangers. "Lessons Learned":asian:

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is commendable that you admit your mistakes and want to fix or avoid them ever again but I think you need to change your profile. Listing 17 years of training means to us that you have sweat and bled under the supervision of an expert for 17 years and that is a huge accomplishment.... it's also very misleading since it isn't the case. You taught your friends for a bit as a child and then 6 months you taught a school..... I don't think you should put you taught for 11 years..... it is also very misleading.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by A.R.K.
In the same light as the original post, how do people feel about...

http://www.usmaf.org/bio/connolly/

That is quite a number of high Dans to claim for one man imho.

I agree too many for one to achive!

ARK,

Do you know why your thread on above individual was deleted from the bad budo section?

OP
G

gojukylie

A man that chases more than 1 Rabbit ends up catching none.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doing the "right" thing can be hard. I see why people's eyebrows raised. It is now up to you to decide how the rest of your MA career goes.

May I recommend a trip to West Virginia soon, an email or call to Seig and/or Tess and you would have an instructor within a reasonable distance whose background is known. If not Kenpo, I have a very good friend, Rob LaPointe, teaching White Crane Kung-Fu in Arlington. There are a huge number of schools in the area according to him. His 1st Black was in Kenpo circa 1984 or so.

Good luck in your training. Remember only you can shape your destiny.

OP
T

twinkletoes

That is quite a number of high Dans to claim for one man imho.

Especially a man who left the military due to "disabling injuries." I have never met a disabled martial artist with so many high ranks, especially in arts like judo & tkd.

~TT

Latest Discussions