Reputation of some Western teachers of Taiji

OP
S

Shadow Hunter

I just got the book "Power Taiji" second hand. I was somewhat surprised in that the author Earl Montigue says that you should do "weighted turns." In other words, instead of moving back and then when the weight is off the lead foot shifting your feet you should shift while the weight is still on the lead foot. I have never heard of this before. I do not have a very broad education in Taiji, but I have had a long experience under a few teachers and I have never heard of this from them.

Also, Earl M also seems to say that everything that we know as Yang style Taiji is wrong and only his version is the combat effective version. I find that hard to believe.

Has anyone else heard of this type of weighted turn in Taiji, especially in the Yang style?

OP
T

Taiji fan

I also have a copy of te book you refer to and have seen Erle on video. It would appear that what he is describing is a misunderstanding of a real weighted turn. Rotations onto the front leg such as the transition from left ward off into right ward off involve a weighted rotation on the front leg....but in the way Erle has done them in both the book and video during the step forwards, is the best way to damage your knees. The degree of weight-shift is directly related to how much you need to turn a foot or step, it is also part of the connection between upper and lower body as well as understanding the yin phase of the movement. It is correct to sit back ( to varying degrees) to clear enough weight to reposition the lead foot. When taking a step and therefor spending some time on one leg.....the weight should be 100% on the supporting leg.

Also, Earl M also seems to say that everything that we know as Yang style Taiji is wrong and only his version is the combat effective version. I find that hard to believe.
:rolleyes: yes I have heard that before. It is interesting that his Yang style bares little resemblance to the Yang family's style......draw you own conclusions from that one! :asian:

Latest Discussions