Repairing a broken bag?

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Today I tore one of the straps on my heavy bag. I've done this before, and just replaced the whole bag (since it was old and tatty anyway). But this is a relatively new bag and I don't have the money to replace it, so I have to repair it. Has anyone ever replaced one of these straps? How do you go about it?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Adept-

I am going to assume this is not a leather bag (at least where the straps attach).

I suggest if you don't have a heavy-duty sewing machine that you take it to an upholsterer. They can put some material behind the area which ripped to reinforce it and then sew a new strap.

Good luck, this has happened to me and it is depressing.

Miles

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Duct tape and baling wire.... at least that's how McGyver would do it...

Actually Miles has the right idea. A professional upholsterer would have the machine to do it right... question would be if you could afford the upholsterer?

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Duct tape and baling wire.... at least that's how McGyver would do it...
You forgot that Macgyver can make a bomb out of gum!

Now, what the other guys said is to take the bag to an upholsterer and have them patch it up for you.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have to agree to take it to a upholster or a banner-making sif=gn company to stitch in re-enforced webbing and "d" rings.

OP
Adept

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cheers all. I took the bag into the upholsterer today, and they fixed it up for me for only $5.00

I've also taken this opportunity to re-hang the bag so it minimises wear on the straps.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Adept said:
Cheers all. I took the bag into the upholsterer today, and they fixed it up for me for only $5.00

I've also taken this opportunity to re-hang the bag so it minimises wear on the straps.
Good deal! Live and learn now eh? Cool! :D

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Glad it worked out for you. $5.00?? Cant argue with that!

OP
Adept

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
masherdong said:
Glad it worked out for you. $5.00?? Cant argue with that!
Yeah, I was pleasantly suprised. It took them less than half an hour to do it as well.

MACaver:Life is a state of constant learning!

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I usually buy the "navy" duffle bag and it holds up well cause the canvas holds up by sea-worthiness design.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I usually buy the "navy" duffle bag and it holds up well cause the canvas holds up by sea-worthiness design.
This was my first heavy bag-in 1975. I got free sawdust from a local lumbermill and sand from the beach. It was a great bag....til it ripped.

Miles

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Miles said:
This was my first heavy bag-in 1975. I got free sawdust from a local lumbermill and sand from the beach. It was a great bag....til it ripped.

Miles
The sand/weight was the thing that hurt it.....

A bag such as that was not designed to carry sand......

mine last seemingly forever......

Latest Discussions