Remembrance Day Video

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cheers for that Gordon.

I don't know if it's because I know some of what my grandfathers went through in the First and Second World Wars but I always get very emotional about these things (that's my way of letting you know that you managed to reduce a grown man to tears with that :eek:).

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a great song and video - too bad it was prompted by one person's lack of response to a request for respect.

Thanks for the post!

OP
Gordon Nore

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cheers for that Gordon.

I don't know if it's because I know some of what my grandfathers went through in the First and Second World Wars but I always get very emotional about these things (that's my way of letting you know that you managed to reduce a grown man to tears with that :eek:).

Didn't mean to do that, Sukerkin. Actually, we had a wonderful Remembrance Day ceremony at school today, Friday, as the eleventh falls on a Sunday this year. Over the last week or so, I've read a number of books to children in my school about war and remembrance this week, I was feeling weepy myself.

Kacey said:
It's a great song and video - too bad it was prompted by one person's lack of response to a request for respect.

I showed my students a great film this week about Canada's veterans which was made up entirely of archived footage. One scene showed a small boy wandering through the demolished streets of Tortona, Italy -- even in this old black and white clip, you could see the terror in his eyes as he stared into the camera. In each class I asked the kids if anyone came from a town or city anywhere in the world that looked that way. Hands went up and jaws dropped in every single class.

Without a doubt, it was among the most profound moments I have ever had in the classroom.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have the Festival of Remembrance tonight in the Albert Hall, London of course tomorrow the Remembrance Sunday Parade in London.

Last month a new place of Remembrance was dedicated to all the service personnel killed or who have died in service since the last world war.

http://www.forcesmemorial.org.uk/the-memorial-project.asp

The Memorial is situated in the National Arboretum where there are many other mermorials that I think will interest many of you who are not from the UK.

http://www.thenma.org.uk/content/Memorial-Information-1105.shtml

Latest Discussions