Rejoining Teakwondo

terry_gardener

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
has anyone stoped doing taekwondo for several months and then started again. how did you find it when you started again.

I am asking because i am going to start taekwondo again in the next couple of weeks after taking a 6 month break.

I enjoyed taekwondo but had to stop due to work commitments and couldn't get to the classes on time.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
had to stop for six years because my school closed down and my parents didn't have the money to drive 90 miles round trip 2-3 times a week...started up when I went to college...

It's just like riding a bike, you'll wipeout, but you need to just keep getting back up...oh...oops, wrong bike analogy...

It's just like riding a bike, once you learn you never forget...you may be a bit rusty...but things come back quick

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exercise is a lifetime thing. Taekwondo is a great way to get it in. Besides that there is not time like now to start...again. Just remember, we all get sore and its just telling your body what is weaker or sometimes its just a harder workout too. :D If you enjoy it, get back in there!!! TW

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good Luck with your training. It will likely take you at least 6 months to get back to where you were when you stopped.

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stopping for awhile is easy,starting over is hard for anyone. The one thing you must remember is it's harder the second time around. Make sure you set a good amount of time for warmups that is where we all should spend more time on. then stick to a complete workoyt on a day to day basis wheather you go to the Dojaang or not. Do your workout everyday for the allotted time frame never make time a excuse not to get your work-out done. I hope your journey will be the best for you.

V

Vinnie

I restarted after three months and i found it quite easy to get back in to it So dont worry:)

OP
T

terry_gardener

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I dont know if i should rejoin the club that i was with or somewhere else because the club that i was with is on tuesday and friday the friday lesson i will be able to get to easily starts 7.30-9.00 but the tuesday one i will find difficult to get to because it starts at 5.15-6.15 and i dont finish work till 5.00. Chief instuctor is 2 dan(with bad knee), assistant instructor red belt.

The other club but same company (chung do kwan) is about 18 miles away(about 30 mins) and it is on 4 times a week all at 7.30-9.00 which is perfect timing for me and it is adult only, chief instructor 4th dan, assistant istructor 2 dan. the club that i was in, was mainly young teenagers and kids.

Which one would you goto?

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Well, from over here it seems that the new club will better suit your needs, but that's not really something I can make a reliable judgement on. I'd suggest attending a couple of classes at the new place, maybe revisit your old club once, and then decide which one you'd rather stick with.

Have fun.

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had left the dojang once I recieved my yellow belt. I came back 6 months after being gone. I did this mostly because I was really missing it. I always promised to a friend that I'd join back up, and I didn't have a problem furfilling that.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I stopped Tae Kwon Do briefly a couple of times as a color belt because my mom wouldn't take me to class (this was before I could drive). Going back to class after a month or two off was like giving a crack addict a supply again after a monthlong break.

F

flyingsidekick

I'm getting back into Taekwondo after a 21/2 year break. It's been a about 1 1/2 since I been back in class and although I am not quite back up to the skill level I was when I stopped It's still as much fun as I remember it being. and everything is coming alot faster

Good luck to you!

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
terry_gardener said:
I dont know if i should rejoin the club that i was with or somewhere else because the club that i was with is on tuesday and friday the friday lesson i will be able to get to easily starts 7.30-9.00 but the tuesday one i will find difficult to get to because it starts at 5.15-6.15 and i dont finish work till 5.00. Chief instuctor is 2 dan(with bad knee), assistant instructor red belt.

The other club but same company (chung do kwan) is about 18 miles away(about 30 mins) and it is on 4 times a week all at 7.30-9.00 which is perfect timing for me and it is adult only, chief instructor 4th dan, assistant istructor 2 dan. the club that i was in, was mainly young teenagers and kids.

Which one would you goto?
Go with the 2nd choice, you don't need to be in there with children.:asian:

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's been almost a year since I left TKD, having worked up to Taeguk sam-jang, and I miss it, really. In a way, I feel guilty for having left and often wonder if I should finish what I started instead of sallying forth into another discipline.

I think getting back in shape would be the hardest part of returning after a lull.

D

Disco

From your post, you seem determined to involve yourself in some way with a martial arts discipline. Regardless of where you find yourself, conditioning will be a factor in your training. My suggestion is to follow what you feel you want to try. If you enjoyed TKD and the feeling is there, then go back. If you feel drawn to something else, go there. You must ask yourself why you left TKD in the first place. :asian:

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Disco said:
... If you enjoyed TKD and the feeling is there, then go back. If you feel drawn to something else, go there. You must ask yourself why you left TKD in the first place. :asian:
There is a joy to TKD which, I feel, I would find in nearly any MA. The primary reason I left was a relapse into daily drinking and smoking. With these two things now dealt with (no drinking, period, 5 months; no smoking 1 month) I feel that I could rejoin any discipline, provided I felt the necessary dedication.

Perhaps the hardest thing for me is returning, to some degree, with my tail between my legs.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only an Egg, Its only hardest the first day. Actually you will probably find a welcoming committee and be surprised. We humans are just that, and subject to error and weakness at times. No one is perfect and as you get older that becomes more and more apparent. So we all just forgive our mutual weaknesses and rejoice in our strengths-our brother and sisterhood.
Merry Christmas and hope you have a great New Year! TW

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Egg, I don't study TKD, but a different Korean martial art.

Going back with your tail between your legs indicates you have humility and if you can face each day one day at a time knowing your weaknesses, you can definitely step foot back on the mat. You have demonstrated your strength by staying sober for 5 months. You can do this. Your instructor will understand and if you need to have a private conversation with him or her, so be it.

Once you get in there and start training again, you'll know just how great it is to be back and you'll fall in love with TKD all over again.

HAPPY TRAINING AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

GK

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Perhaps the hardest thing for me is returning, to some degree, with my tail between my legs.

You'll be better for it regardless.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Going back to class after conquering personal demons does not require returning with your tail between your legs. You had some personal issues to work out and you got over them. Any legitimate Instructor should understand and welcome you back. However, you should inform your Instructor what is going on; he would undoubtably support you and work with you. Such is the Instructor/student relationship.
Returning to class after dishonoring or insulting your Instructor would require returning with your tail between your legs, because he may or may not choose to welcome you back.

Latest Discussions