Red Belt

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just rented David Memet's film "Red Belt" & thought it was good. I'm interested in the thoughts of folks who train in BJJ on the fight sequences.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fun stuff, watched it last night actually.

While I did see a lot of 'Hollywood' and non-continuous footage (meaning, wth? How'd they get to there, from there). But, I took the entire thing with a grain of salt, it's meant to be a movie not a documentary etc. I liked the people they had in it, but parts of the script seemed weak or unfinished.

Overall though, good fun but wanted more technical jiujitsu and a little better script.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fun stuff, watched it last night actually.

While I did see a lot of 'Hollywood' and non-continuous footage (meaning, wth? How'd they get to there, from there). But, I took the entire thing with a grain of salt, it's meant to be a movie not a documentary etc. I liked the people they had in it, but parts of the script seemed weak or unfinished.

Overall though, good fun but wanted more technical jiujitsu and a little better script.

David Mamet, the director/writer, said that so much of JJ is lost on the screen because of the subtlties involved. They're not big movements like kicks & punches. I agree w/ the unfinished & weak parts. I didn't buy the cop/new BB did in the climax. (For example). Fo an MA flick, I thought it was good. For a film from "the great David Mamet" it wasn't really special. IMO

Latest Discussions