Reality ?

L

legend29

I recently read an article stating that if you wanted to learn martial arts for the street/self defense that you shouldn't pick an art that is sports related. Muay Thai and BJJ for example.It also stated that you should only train in those pacific arts if your goal is to compete, otherwise they have no value in them !

So I was wondering what others think of this and if there is any truth to it ?

Richie

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
people don't only train for 'reality' but it is up to the individual student to find the way to explore how training translates to reality. Find what you like, train consistently, understand the holes in the training so that you can adjust/find answers from other sources and move on. There are so many reasons and purposes people train that are 'other than reality/self defense.' This is no big deal as long as people don't try to dillude themselves about that idea.

OP
M

markulous

I agree. Find what is real about the art and take that from it.

And just because there are places that use certain arts for competitions and what not doesn't mean the whole system is based off of that. Muay Thai is a VERY good system(especially for me since I am tall and lean). That and boxing are my favorite arts. I'd like to see someone say Muay Thai is ineffective as they have their knee popped out from a shin kick.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out a specific art. I think a better approach is to visit the dojo and see what their approach is. If you see 100 trophies in the window, yeah, they probably ARE sports oriented. But just because they teach BJJ, eg, doesn't mean their main focus is sport.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with everyone here. It will largely be reflected by the training style of the instructor. Just remember: you will fight how you train. Pick a style that you feel works for you. Train hard. Don't close your mind to other ways. Don't fall into the trap of "My art is better than this one or that one." The most important? Start training now. Once you start to move and learn, the answers will come, if you keep an open mind, continue training, and question yourself. And hang out here. There's a real wealth of information from some very knowledgeable people.

So I was wondering what others think of this and if there is any truth to it ?
The truth, in the end, is found in the practitioner, not the art. It's all just movement.

Happy Training!
icon7.gif

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
I wouldn't rule out a specific art. I think a better approach is to visit the dojo and see what their approach is. If you see 100 trophies in the window, yeah, they probably ARE sports oriented. But just because they teach BJJ, eg, doesn't mean their main focus is sport.

My instructor has most of his trophies up in his school. They were from twenty-some years ago. Can't judge a school from its trophies. We have tournaments (TKD) but they are not for competition or for training for the Olympics, rather they are for experience and fun. We are WTF, and if someone wants to go to nationals (rarely) and on, that person can do it, but I wouldn't classify us as sports-oriented with the connotation that the objective is the Olympics.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
people don't only train for 'reality' but it is up to the individual student to find the way to explore how training translates to reality. Find what you like, train consistently, understand the holes in the training so that you can adjust/find answers from other sources and move on. There are so many reasons and purposes people train that are 'other than reality/self defense.' This is no big deal as long as people don't try to dillude themselves about that idea.

I agree with loki! I've said before that we all train for different reasons, and he is very correct in saying that its ultimately up to the student to find what he/she wants out of that training. Every art is gonna have its pros/cons, and that is probably one of the main reasons I crosstrain. Is it necessary to CT?? Nope. Its something that is an option and its an option that I have chosen.

As for what art is more effective...I'll admit that there are some arts that are better geared for the street than others. I really dont want to turn this into another art bashing session, but if you stop and look at all the arts out there, is very obvious to see. If you'd like me to go into more detail legend29, feel free to PM me, and I'd be happy to talk about it. I will say though, that the arts that you mentioned..Muay Thai and BJJ...IMO, they are effective on the street. Look at boxing as another example.....thats a sport and I'm sure that Tyson coud use his skills on the street!

Mike

OP

I thought most systems were reality based. Just the different ways people use them is what makes the difference.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
8253 said:
I thought most systems were reality based. Just the different ways people use them is what makes the difference.

Good question. Back when I first started training, I'd always hear people talking about the RBSD (reality based self defense) and I'd sit here thinking, "Gee, well I'm training to defend myself, so yeah, I must be training for that reality also." If you look at some of the RBSD instructors that you have out there such as Peyton Quinn, Sammy Franco, Marc MacYoung, Geoff Thompson, you'll notice a slightly different approach to their training.

One thing is that many of them seem to incorporate different training/aliveness drills. Peyton Quinn uses his adrenal stress classes, to prepare the student mentally and physically for a confrontation. Many of them also take out the fancy, flashy stuff that you find in many arts. Like I said in a previous post, I dont want to turn this into yet another bashing of arts session, but take a look at some of the arts out there. It shouldnt be too hard to figure out. Yet another thing that they've removed is the kata. If you really stop and think about it, what is it doing to help you fight?? IMO, nothing! Now, I've been doing kata for a long time, and still do them. And yes, they do contain hidden applications. Look at Dillman. Hes great at showing what the moves in kata can be used for. However, during the course of my training, I've come across few inst. that can actually tell you what you're doing in the kata. The typical conversation goes like this.

Me- "Can you tell me why we are doing this move and what its doing?"

Instructor- "Well,..........because thats the way its done."

Gee, doesnt sound like a good answer to me. So, I tried to figure it out myself, and fortuantely, by me doing that, and with the help of a few other instructors who also relized the benefits of knowing what you're doing, I was able to finally understand.

Now, back to the kata. Most of the RBSD teachers find that spending more time doing sparring and more alive training, they get more out of it, instead of standing there doing a dead pattern in the air, with no attacker, no resistance, etc.

In addition, many of them have taken the time and have really done their homework researching street fights, assaults, weapon attacks, etc, and base their training/instruction off of what they've found.

I hope that this was a help to you! :asian:

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome. :asian:

Mike

Latest Discussions