Reality becomes surreal...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good thing he had the Benjamins to afford the move.

Still seems like hes far from an aesthetic lifestyle.

It took me a while to think about this comment before I could formulate my thoughts. There are a lot of assumptions that one can make about the so called "aesthetic lifestyle", but I think it all comes down to where you start.

Imagine dropping your standard of living from hundreds of millions of dollars a year to maybe a million or two. These numbers make so sense to me. It's too far out of my range of experiences to even be meaningful. I'll wager its the same for many on here.

Yet, that kind of change is HUGE if you can even consider the starting point.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's something that's infected Britain too since I grew up.

My poverty-struck roots mean that I have a never-throw-anything-away mindset and I will try my darndest to mend something before conceding it is broken for good ... even then I'll probably keep it "for parts" :lol:.

It also means that I notice that these days nothing is made to last. My work-knife was made in the 1900's and carried by my grandfathe through two World Wars - the blade may be a little smaller than it was through a century of re-shapening but it's still as strong as ever. Would that I could say the same about a few knives of more recent vintage (the ones that had something akin to "Made In China" stamped in the blade rather than "Sheffield Steel".

However, we digress ... no matter how right we are :lol:.

P.S. From a couple of references above - are we talking about "aesthetic" or "ascetic"? For words so very similar in spelling they mean very different things indeed. One is essentially an appreciation of beautiful things, the other the abstinence from 'earthly' pleasures. Context would suggest the latter is what is meant?

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im assuming he/she meant "ascetic". I can see what he means, while leaving a billionaire lifestyle for a millionaire lifestyle may be a big change for that person, its far from a hardship IMO.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Im assuming he/she meant "ascetic". I can see what he means, while leaving a billionaire lifestyle for a millionaire lifestyle may be a big change for that person, its far from a hardship IMO.
Ohhh yeeaahh??? Can you imagine downgrading your car from a Ferrari to a Mercedes? *scoffs* perish the thought!

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or only owning ONE mansion and helicopter? The horror! The horror!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Or only owning ONE mansion and helicopter? The horror! The horror!

It's like I said...I don't get it, but it certainly sounds like a big deal. All I can say is that I hope I never have to do it.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you ever do, just contact me and Ill spare you the horrific event. :)

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Six pack abdominals beat any mansion, any car, any job. Now, if this guy was doing his p90x ab-ripperX program dutifully, this breakup would have never happened!

Latest Discussions