RE: RyuShiKan - Hero or Zero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Mr. Hubbard you are a spanker. If it wasn't for the limited amount of good info I can find here, I would quit. Unfortunately, I was too late to put in my vote, but as a moderator you have crossed the line. As you said in your thread you are entitled to your opinion, but as an administrator, you don't have the right to publicise it.

Yes Robert is blunt and to the point, but if that is a problem for you, then why didn't you just kick him out? You continually tell us all to show respect to each other and then you come out with this bull$hit poll.

I think maybe you should quit. Admin/ moderator is obviously tooooo hard a job for you.

And that is all I have to say to you!
Good day sir.
--Dave
:soapbox:

M

MartialArtist

I wouldn't be surprised if this thread was deleted and/or locked so somebody has to get the last word in.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Daves entitled to his opinion.

So is MA.

Why don't one of you 2 put up a poll and see who wants me to step down. Actually, I'll do it for ya.

1 question...

If I do quit....

Who gets the website?

M

MartialArtist

Did I state that I wanted to oust you out? Nah. You're doing a good job as it is.

However, one suggestion that I have for the website is... I'll PM it

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA.
Got it. I'll reread it in the AM. Been a long day, so I'm a little loopy. Thanks! :)

OP
D.Cobb

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Maybe you didn't get the point I was trying to make, and that was for all your blustering about respect and doing the right thing, you are as ego driven as anybody else on this board.

You don't even carry out your disciplinary actions according to your own rules, and have shown that time and again with numerous posters, not just RSK.

It wasn't that I wanted you to quit, I was trying to say that as an Administrator/ moderator, your opinions aren't/ or shouldn't be public knowledge. It is just one of the many down sides to your job. Even if it were ok to publicise your opinion, then surely you could have done it with a little more civility and decorum.

You have posted that you wanted this site to be like someones loungeroom, with no huffing puffing or inflating of chests, and without anyone having to duck unfair attacks. Then you start this ridiculous post against RSK.

Ok I admit I am a bit biased, I do tend to look upon Robert as a friend, even though we have never met. I originally found him hard to deal with too, but I guess by examining his motives, I have found him to be both honest and respectful. You may not think so and that is your right. But I must say, if you were sitting in my lounge room and started something like that poll, I would personally turf you. This is your lounge room, but I still think you are wrong.

--Dave

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I don't come to this site to pick fights, so this will be my only post on this thread.

Originally posted by D.Cobb
Yes Robert is blunt and to the point, but if that is a problem for you, then why didn't you just kick him out? You continually tell us all to show respect to each other and then you come out with this bull$hit poll.

:soapbox: Maybe the poll on Ryushikan was mean-spirited, but he had it coming. Maybe finding out how others see him will encourage him to get the help he needs. Alright, so it probably won't. But banning him outright would have been much less fair. Ryushikan worked very hard to create the environment of persecution that he became a victim of. His being blunt and to the point was never an issue. (MartialArtist is blunt and to the point, but we like him.) His being a tactless keyboard warrior who went out of his way to pick fights was the issue. Leaving was his choice.

Bob Hubbard is a Martial Talk administrator, not a judge or arbitrator. Impartiality is not a trait that is required of administrators. Especially not when when they administrate for free.

OP
D.Cobb

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zepp
I don't come to this site to pick fights, so this will be my only post on this thread.

:soapbox: Maybe the poll on Ryushikan was mean-spirited, but he had it coming. Maybe finding out how others see him will encourage him to get the help he needs. Alright, so it probably won't. But banning him outright would have been much less fair. Ryushikan worked very hard to create the environment of persecution that he became a victim of. His being blunt and to the point was never an issue. (MartialArtist is blunt and to the point, but we like him.) His being a tactless keyboard warrior who went out of his way to pick fights was the issue. Leaving was his choice.

Bob Hubbard is a Martial Talk administrator, not a judge or arbitrator. Impartiality is not a trait that is required of administrators. Especially not when when they administrate for free.

So you consider it to be OK for frauds, liars and cheats to spread their wares via these forums? If it wasn't for guys like Robert, then guys like me would never find out. Or we'd find out the hard way. I never saw him go out of his way to pick fights, he just seemed to insist on honest answers to insightful questions.

Free or not is beside the point. And like I said, even if it was ok, then he could do it a little more repectfully.

--Dave

M

Master of Blades

So you consider it to be OK for frauds, liars and cheats to spread their wares via these forums? If it wasn't for guys like Robert, then guys like me would never find out. Or we'd find out the hard way. I never saw him go out of his way to pick fights, he just seemed to insist on honest answers to insightful questions.

--Dave

I dont get what is wrong with everyone....NO-ONE HAS EVER SAID THEY WANT FRAUDS RUNNING AROUND THIS PLACE! Never, ever! The problem was not that Robert was going around houding them out etc, it was the way he did it and the fact that HE DIDNT STOP! Its the same with Moromoro. He wasnt banned because of what he was saying half the time, it was the WAY he went about it.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Couple of points as I said my bit in the 'vote' thread:

Frauds - they will be weeded out eventually. It was never the weeding, just the methods.

Robert - He was not banned. Also, please do not attack him as he is not here to defend himself.

MoroMoro - he was banned due to his attitude, and other issues.

Dave - He, like everyone here, is entitled to their opinions, and is allowed to express that opinion as long as it is within our policies.

Me - Reality check recieved, and I will seek to improve the areas I agree on. 1 thing - I will be being more vocal in my opinions in the future. The key is seperating my opinion from being able to administer from a neutral position. Even if I think someones a major butthead, I try my hardest to give them the benifit of the doubt and chances to 'fit in'. Some boards will boot you if you slam the 'boss'. This board doesn't work like that.

Whenever I am required to administrate this site, I do my best to leave my personal feelings out of the equation. I have in the past refrained from voicing my thoughts until other staff have looked at the issues and given theirs. I do my best to be fair. I am only human though, and at times, my frustrations will show through, esp. in the hotter issues when theres a few hundred posts to review, all parties are burying you in emails, the fights still brewing and everyone involved is screaming 'Do Something".

:asian:

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Free or not is beside the point. And like I said, even if it was ok, then he could do it a little more repectfully.

--Dave

If you don't like it, start your own forum.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was away when the poll was done. (I was traveling out of the country on business and was gone for nearly two weeks.) I agree with D. Cobb that administrators must respect the privacy of members--which we try very hard to do--and that the poll regarding RyuShiKan was at best in questionable taste.

On the other hand this was a very special case, and things were spiraling out of control. I am continually shocked and disappointed by how many martial artists refuse to grant us the simple courtesy of applying the same "It's your dojo so I'll follow your rules while in it" attitude they'd take if they were on the floor while I was teaching.

We've discussed the matter internally. It was a tough situation no matter what was done. As always, we hope to improve our procedures and learn from it. Threads like this help us do that, and help keep us honest, and we appreciate it. Mr. Cobb is doing nothing more than asking us to do what we say we do and be what we say we want to be and that is very welcome. There's no sarcasm here--I mean it 100%. Constructive criticism is always welcome. Thank you Mr. Cobb for trying to help us improve and thanks to you and everyone who tries to understand that we're doing our best in what is a more difficult job than people realize.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

M

MartialArtist

I don't think RSK started any fights. He didn't say, "Who here claims that they have a high rank" and so forth. He acted after one person made a questionable claim.

A

A.R.K.

Was not there a history of suspensions?

Was there not a history of warnings?

Was there not a history of locked threads only to have a new one started?

Whether the poll was right or wrong is now a mute point. The percentages did indicate overwhelmingly there was a problem in the areas of attitude and approach.

Dave, if you wish to think of him a honest and respectful that is entirely your right. There are many who would respectfully disagree as is our right. The key word is respectfully. I bid you peace.

The RSK chapter is closed, why reopen it? There is a wealth of information on this board and quit a few folks with friendly attitudes in which to converse with.

R

Rob_Broad

As a person who was privy to some of the behind the scenes info for a while. I saw how anytime RSK was asked politely to tone it down some he became beligerent with who ever asked him to do so. He incessentaly tried to bullythe moderators and admins into his way of thinking. He drove many beginners away, they were afraid of incurring his wrath. The guy had some very good information but it was noth worth the BS that had to be put up with to get it. Yes hemade friends here, and I know they still communicate on other forums and that is great. But at Martialtalk, he often acted like an *** when dealing with the staff.

OP
D.Cobb

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by A.R.K.
Was not there a history of suspensions?

Was there not a history of warnings?

Was there not a history of locked threads only to have a new one started?

Whether the poll was right or wrong is now a mute point. The percentages did indicate overwhelmingly there was a problem in the areas of attitude and approach.

Dave, if you wish to think of him a honest and respectful that is entirely your right. There are many who would respectfully disagree as is our right. The key word is respectfully. I bid you peace.

The RSK chapter is closed, why reopen it? There is a wealth of information on this board and quit a few folks with friendly attitudes in which to converse with.

Like you say, RESPECTFULLY, is the key. I was just trying to point out the discrepancies between what Mr. Hubbard wants from us and then what he did in front of us.

Hindsight being what it is, I probably could have worded the thread starter a little better, and would like to apologise for the comment about Mr. Hubbard being a spanker. However for the rest, I don't think I was wrong. It wasn't even so much, that he had an opinion, as I've said before, but how he aired it.

--Dave

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just so its clear, as far as I'm concerned, everythings cool between Dave and me.

I try to do the best I can, but I'm only human, so sometimes slip up. When that happens, I expect to be called on it the same as we would call any member.

OP
D.Cobb

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
I was away when the poll was done. (I was traveling out of the country on business and was gone for nearly two weeks.) I agree with D. Cobb that administrators must respect the privacy of members--which we try very hard to do--and that the poll regarding RyuShiKan was at best in questionable taste.

On the other hand this was a very special case, and things were spiraling out of control. I am continually shocked and disappointed by how many martial artists refuse to grant us the simple courtesy of applying the same "It's your dojo so I'll follow your rules while in it" attitude they'd take if they were on the floor while I was teaching.

We've discussed the matter internally. It was a tough situation no matter what was done. As always, we hope to improve our procedures and learn from it. Threads like this help us do that, and help keep us honest, and we appreciate it. Mr. Cobb is doing nothing more than asking us to do what we say we do and be what we say we want to be and that is very welcome. There's no sarcasm here--I mean it 100%. Constructive criticism is always welcome. Thank you Mr. Cobb for trying to help us improve and thanks to you and everyone who tries to understand that we're doing our best in what is a more difficult job than people realize.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

Thank you for your kind words sir. But in hindsight, maybe I could have worded my post a little better too.

--Dave

M

MartialArtist

Rather have a 100 fraud busters (RSK did not go out of his way to hunt people down unless they made a claim first) or RSKs than one fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions