Ranking Martial Arts for Self Defensw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is an interesting dilemma that one.

He could train MMA because he could do it at any pace. But training live with resistance would be difficult.

So then is there a component he could possibly do? So potentially boxing mabye?

That would at least provide a core skill.

(We do have a 70 year old train with us but he is basically all of judo. And a monster. So he didn't just wake up one day and start MMA)
It's not old age alone, it's the back. I injured myself with all the high kicks when I was training hard in TKD in the 80s. I thought I could never come back. But from conditioning using weights, I actually come back a long way. For 30 years, I can only do boxing type punching bags and in air, I can do front kicks without limitation. But all the side kicks are round kicks were out. The last year or so, I worked very hard both in weights, stick fight and kick boxing. Now I manage to round house kick to the knee level with force. That's a huge step for me already after 30+years. I would like to keep it that way.

Yes, live resistance on ground work require a lot of core strength(say twisting the back and apply force etc.). I just don't see I can survive at this point. I cannot afford to take a step backward on my injury anymore. Hey, at least I can do low round house kick to the knee, that's a very effective strike in fighting.

I am not going to go to any striking arts like boxing, that's what I've been doing all these years already. I had a few years in kick boxing type of training as my TKD class is really kick boxing. We didn't do anything tradition or forms until 2 weeks before belt test!!! After that, all went back to kick boxing.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score

He could train MMA because he could do it at any pace. But training live with resistance would be difficult.

(We do have a 70 year old train with us but he is basically all of judo. And a monster. So he didn't just wake up one day and start MMA)
Live training with resistance can be done on a spectrum
So I think one could train grappling etc at any age
However, the challenge is to find partners who can roll with you at the appropriate level of intensity

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
The best way to defend yourself is by combing Gun-Fu (or it's sister art, Click-Click-Pow) and Run-Fu.
That's a very... American comment.

Edit: I'll develop. "Gun-fu" is not a viable way to defend yourself in many parts of the world, due to regular civilians not being allowed to carry guns. Personally, I think we're better off for it, but that's another (long) debate.

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am only 69, but I also have back injury, I have to do a lot of conditioning to keep up with what I am doing, I don't think I want to challenge my back more on ground work.
I know lots of people with hinky backs who still manage to get in newaza/ground work.

Let your coach know about your limitations and don't let your ego think you're still 20. Get those two things and you'll be fine.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Newaza / groundwork is among the most forgiving elements of fighting. It is probably the easiest to ramp up or down in intensity levels and account for injuries. You just need coaches & partners who are willing and able to go at your speed and capabilities. I'm not 70 yet, but I'm WAAAAY past the age where I could realistically compete.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am only 69, but I also have back injury, I have to do a lot of conditioning to keep up with what I am doing, I don't think I want to challenge my back more on ground work.
Why do you think that grappling is harder on your back than striking?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Newaza / groundwork is among the most forgiving elements of fighting. It is probably the easiest to ramp up or down in intensity levels and account for injuries. You just need coaches & partners who are willing and able to go at your speed and capabilities.
I highlighted the important part.

If you go to a gym with a decent percentage of higher ranks (especially older individuals), then then you can get in some useful light flow rolling which can be safe for trainees with physical limitations. Lower ranks usually don't have the awareness and control to make that adjustment.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It certainly can be, especially when you have beginners sparring beginners. With experience grapplers can learn to both protect their own backs and look out for the safety of their partners as necessary. But there's a reason BJJ is sometimes referred to as the art of folding clothes while someone else is wearing them.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think it is, but it is common for BJJ Competitors to have lower back injuries. It's not the BJJ, it's the competitors. They will fight longer than they should, go harder then they should, and wait longer to tap than they should. Basically being competitive can lead to injuries. Same reason that Judo competitors are known for knee and shoulder injuries. :)

But if you're not so testosterone-fuled, and have good training partners and coaches that can ramp up/down to your requirements, you'll be fine.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read someplace the stripes on their belts look like bacon strips.
This is their gi...

1654718428935.png
1654718428935.png

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That's a very... American comment.

Edit: I'll develop. "Gun-fu" is not a viable way to defend yourself in many parts of the world, due to regular civilians not being allowed to carry guns. Personally, I think we're better off for it, but that's another (long) debate.
Lots of folks dying for that right to bear arms.
Best, most dangerous, most effective, and deadliest is Xuefu…discussion over ☺️
I like it. Do you spar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions