Rampage vs. Griffin

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
Awesome fight! I loved how Forrest didn't back down or cower away from Rampage at all! He was always in there taking all the hits and getting great strikes in there especially with those kicks to Rampage's leading leg. It was hard deciding who to root for on that one. At first I was rooting for Forrest Griffin because he was the underdog but as soon as I saw Rampage get hurt from those kicks to his leading leg I began rooting for him. I'm glad Forrest won though and I think he completely deserved it but I'm sad that Rampage's trainer will now retire or so he said it was on record. He said that if Rampage lost then he would retire and Rampage lost.

Another fight that I especially liked was Chris Lyttle against Koshchek. Chris was doing good at the beggining but Koshchek took him to the ground and that was the end of him. But Chris stayed in there he blocked as best as he could and fought back despite how much blood he was loosing! He lost A LOT of blood from gashes on his face and it was just flowing from his face into good size puddles but he kept in there, he didn't tap and he just kept going despite how weak he was becoming until the timer ran out. Chris had a lot of heart in that fight and I realy admire him for that.

Cheers to him. :headbangin::cheers::asian::bangahead:

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am super suprised Forrest won but I much prefer him to Quinten. Quinten has done nothing to impress me outside of the ring. He just constantly behaves like a tool. Can't wait to see the fight. Sounds like a war.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the video:

http://www.mmaroot.com/quinton-rampage-jackson-vs-forrest-griffin-ufc-86-video/

It was a great fight!
icon6.gif

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, was a great fight and glad that Forrest did win this one. Also happy with Rampage acknowledging that he got his *** kicked fair and square, so in that respect Rampage was a great Lightweight Champ as well.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Quinten has done nothing to impress me outside of the ring. He just constantly behaves like a tool.

His job is to win fights inside of the ring, not try and impress people outside of the ring. Outside of the ring he has a awesome personality and seems like a cool down to earth guy. How is he a tool? All he has done was win in Pride and UFC.

OP
Fiendlover

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
His job is to win fights inside of the ring, not try and impress people outside of the ring. Outside of the ring he has a awesome personality and seems like a cool down to earth guy. How is he a tool? All he has done was win in Pride and UFC.
I agree. He is a really cool guy outside of the ring and even so after the fight when he admitted that he got his *** handed to him. When he's in for the fight he's in for the fight.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Forest definately controlled this fight and that is why he won. I think that if Jackson would have fought like he did against Liddel the outcome could have been different it seemed that when Jackson did rush Griffin he was definately in control but then again it does take some awsome stamina to keep that going a whole fight.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I enjoyed this fight. Both fighters have great conditioning and a championship material in my book. I do think Griffin is a better fighter though. He basically started picking Jackson apart. He dominated him in ground game, and he basically set the pace for the stand up. That is what the judges noticed. Jackson was mostly counter striking and only hitting half the time. I wish all fights were this good though. full 5 rounds that were incredible. I would love to know what Jackson did to make the pain go away in his leg. I thought he was done in the 2nd. Way for him to pull through and go almost 3 more full rounds ! Would love to see a re-match.

OP
Fiendlover

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would love to know what Jackson did to make the pain go away in his leg. I thought he was done in the 2nd. Way for him to pull through and go almost 3 more full rounds ! Would love to see a re-match.
Oh I know! I thought he was done too. It shocked me when Joe Rogan asked him how his leg was and Jackson said that it didn't bother him until Forrest kicked him there again. Wow. I can't wait for the rematch too. It'll be awesome!!!!!!

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am super suprised Forrest won but I much prefer him to Quinten. Quinten has done nothing to impress me outside of the ring. He just constantly behaves like a tool. Can't wait to see the fight. Sounds like a war.

Cheers
I don't know about his behavior outside the ring but I thought he handled this defeat with class.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about his behavior outside the ring but I thought he handled this defeat with class.

It is very humble of him when he told Joe that, "Forrest, whooped my a**". Then, when he was asked about his leg, he said that Forrest jacked it up.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score

He seems easy going I guess. I watched 'rampage unleashed' (I'm pretty sure that was the title) and he just behaved like an idiot through the whole documentary(if it can be called that) with some of his mocking behavior towards the Japanese in the video being borderline racist. I hoped to get some good training footage or something but it was just a waste of time. He admits to being lazy and needing a trainer to whip his *** into shape but seems to have no real drive himself to rectify that. One thing I like about MMA is the fact that after getting beaten most fighters are respectful and admit they got beaten by a better fighter so that really doesn't make him stand out too much as most fighters a classy losers. I guess Rampage Unleashed was a poor area with which to introduce myself to Quinten.

Cheers

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WOW, it seems I miss a great card and a even better fight for the belt.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Forrest did a great job. Ate some hard punches and yet kept his head in the fight. Really well done.

Rampage looked smaller in the chest and shoulders than he used to be and seemed to not have the viciousness and strength he has demonstrated in other fights.

bootcampbj

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Indeed an awesome fight. Great strategy by Forrest, and it paid off in spades with that crushing leg kick.

Forest has some amazingly powerful kicks, good to see them put to good use with more strategy now.

I also can´t wait for the rematch.

- bj

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Jackson does not seem "like a tool" to me. Interviews I have seen of him have been friendly, humorous, and humble.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jackson does not seem "like a tool" to me. Interviews I have seen of him have been friendly, humorous, and humble.
There's a bunch of videos floating around from his early days in Japan where he was doing stuff like getting random fat Japanese guys to say "I have nice boobs" basically him getting people to repeat stuff they had no idea what it meant to make them look stupid etc.

He's apparently mellowed quite a bit after finding religion so it's not totally fair to hold his old jerky ways against him now.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO it was the leg kicks that decided the fate of the fight, if you notice forrest threw them to the knee ( which is in the rules but isnt that nice to do not because its more effective then the centre thigh but because it can cause more serious and long term injuries) after that jackson could not close the distance fast enough, when he did i thought he threw the better punches unfortunately for Rampage by round 4 and 5 there was too much damage done to his leg chase forrest down, so all you really got was forrest striking an immoblie man........not to mention for personal experience trying to throw anything of the left hand after having you lead leg 'jacked up' is not only painful but usually useless.

Good fight though, im not sure the leg kicks where the plan but it did work.well done to forrest.

Also it was interesting to see how big the holes in Rampages ground game were he will need to work on that because any fighter that watched that fight just saw a massive opening.

look forward to watching the rematch soon.