Quick! Someone send this to my third grade teacher in 1981!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's the real truth on homework

Lisa Power
The Daily Telegraph EXCERPT:
March 28, 2012 12:00AM

CHILDREN are being lumbered with hours of homework every week - but the extra slog doesn't do them any good.

Research reveals primary school homework offers no real benefit - and only limited results in junior high school.

Only senior students in Years 11 and 12 benefit from after-school work, associate professor Richard Walker said.

"What the research shows is that, in countries where they spend more time on homework, the achievement results are lower," Dr Walker, from Sydney University's Education Faculty, said.
<<<SNIP>>>

"A little bit of homework is probably OK at all ages, if part of the reason is to help kids become self-directed learners," Dr Walker said.

"But what the research shows is that only happens when upper primary and middle school students are given some assistance.

"If we (ask) if homework benefits outcomes, then it is pretty clear it does not at primary school and has pretty limited benefits in junior high school and some benefits in high school from Years 11-12."
End excerpt
... I KNEW IT!!!
Luckily, most of my teachers grading was weighted heavier on test scores. I aced tests, I avoided homework the way politicians avoid actual work.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have twin boys in 3rd grade and it really surprises me the amount of homework that they bring home at thier age. I don't remember bringing that much homework home when I was their age.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is nothing new....It was a topic in a Child Psychology Course I took back in college...and I'm old.

They have been ignoring it for years and they will ignore it for may years to come

Latest Discussions