Quick question....

E

Elizium

Is training better outdoors or inside a dojo?

Do you prefer to train outside or in the safe confine of a dojo away from people. Are there benifits to being outside training than inside?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depends....

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

To do only one is silly. To say that one is better than the other is also silly.

Maybe it would be better to ask how much of a percentage of your training time should be devoted to one or the other.

OP
E

Elizium

It is something that I have never really done bar a few demonstrations.

I saw on Kutaki that someone posted saying that they train all the time outside, rain or shine, in all weather. I am thinking of training outside sometime, dunno when though :)

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does "outdoors" have to meen "outside of a building"? Can it not mean "a place other than the training hall"?

Do you train on stairways, frosty parking lots, cluttered areas, etc?

When you train alone, you can slow things down to a safe speed. I would not practice ganseki nage with a partner on a stairwell, but would do it by myself- simulating having a partner.

Without a partner, you can maintain your own level of safety even if you train in the dark, in the rain, in a low ceilinged room, between parked cars or any other situation you can think of.

Wear old clothing you do not mind getting trashed. Heavy clothes, light clothes, etc, as long as it is not what you wear in the dojo.

Mud can be fun........

Ever try figuring out what you could do in a pool in the summer? How about in the snow? I once even got some solo training done inside an ex-Soviet submarine. How about trying things out in a car? I knew a guy who had some idiot try to pull him from one to adminiter a beating. You never know.

The time you spend in the dojo is only a fraction of the time you can train. It just seems natural to take advantage of it.

Sorry if I seem to come off like I actually know something.

OP
E

Elizium

What I mean as outside as away from the confines of the walls of the dojo. As any area can be classed as a dojo (school gym, local neborhood center ETC), just a place away where you can feel something differnet under your feet and not crash mats.

Training on a stairway sounds interesting. But I guess the train anywhere for any occasion sounds nore likely than just walls and hitting your Uke. But mud??? Too many nights regarding videos and/or late night TV :uhyeah:

OP
K

Kokoro

You ain't lived until you've tried to train in Mud, does wonders in showing your weakness in balance, same as ice and snow.

Staircases another point in case, what happens if the attacker is above you, or below, stratergy needs to change.

Must admit not something I've taught in a long while, summer could be a fun time:partyon:never mind autumn (fall for our US friends) and winter:partyon:.

Elizium be prepared for staircase training near you soon:)

OP
E

Elizium

Kokoro said:
You ain't lived until you've tried to train in Mud, does wonders in showing your weakness in balance, same as ice and snow.

Staircases another point in case, what happens if the attacker is above you, or below, stratergy needs to change.

Must admit not something I've taught in a long while, summer could be a fun time:partyon:never mind autumn (fall for our US friends) and winter:partyon:.

Elizium be prepared for staircase training near you soon:)

Okay then, so can I have the keys to the back door... just in case. Oh wait... damn. The dojo is on the second floor and that means stairs. Damn the location.

OP
J

julian

try to train wherever we can i guess. way back i used to train inside and out
have some funny memoreys of a weekend course, where we all in our tabi ect walking down to the sea front to train on the beach(pebbles).
i kept wondering if someone would call the police..but realised some of the teachers were the police! so no worrys there.
also one of the most intresting things i had not bargined on is rolling on a slope,
feels so different.
take care with long grass though ..you never know whats hidden in it(broken bottles, rocks ect) play outside its fun!

OP
E

Elizium

Well as you was there in the early 1990's you must have done some wild things. But Kokoro will have something planned that would make me do something unexpected... or maybe not. I think he may have, or will Kokoro forget... Damn I hate being paranoid.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We used to train outside exclusivley at my old "school". Rain, snow, Sun... i didnt matter.

My current instructor prefers it to be "acceptable" outside for most outdoors training, unless we are specifically working on "fighting in the rain" or "fighting in the snow"... because he feels that training in adverse conditions "distracts" you from actually learning if you are focused on the conditions.

So... that all said... My opinion is both have their place, both have value.

OP
K

Kokoro

Your not being paranoid Elizium, just starting to understand where I'm coming from and hopefully going to, (but that could be a misconception).
:)
Look forward to tomorrow evening, you may be able to post after the event if you get the technique right, or the steps might win.

At least you can state you were with :iws:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
My current instructor prefers it to be "acceptable" outside for most outdoors training, unless we are specifically working on "fighting in the rain" or "fighting in the snow"... because he feels that training in adverse conditions "distracts" you from actually learning if you are focused on the conditions.

I think that is a good point. If you are trying to get a skill down, you should have the best condition for learning that skill. So when you first learn a move, it should be in a dojo and not a typhoon. After you get the skill down to a good level, you should try it as many adverse conditions as possible.

Latest Discussions