quick question on cuts and fouls

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had a question about the UFC.

If a fight is stopped due to cuts, who wins? The one that cut the other? Determined by points? If points, what happens if the first jab opened up a brutal cut?

What happens if a fight ends due to an accident foul? Such as an eye gouge or groin strike? Would it be points? Again, what is it happens exceptionally early in a fight?

Thanks!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Had a question about the UFC.

If a fight is stopped due to cuts, who wins? The one that cut the other? Determined by points? If points, what happens if the first jab opened up a brutal cut?

What happens if a fight ends due to an accident foul? Such as an eye gouge or groin strike? Would it be points? Again, what is it happens exceptionally early in a fight?

Thanks!

If a fight is stopped for a cut then the cut itself has been deemed too deep or interfering with vision as to endanger the fighter. Therefore the fighter with the cut loses the fight.

If a fight were to end on a foul and that is the reason for the fight being lost. Then I believe the person who committed the foul would be the loser. (I am not 100% sure on this one but it makes sence)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A cut serious enough to cause the doctor to stop the fight is considered a fight ending injury, the person bleeding loses.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not sure about UFC rules but ours state that if a fight ends in injury because of a foul the person committing the foul is disqualified. If the 'foul' is unintentional ie a thumb in the eye causing a fight to be stopped it may be declared a no contest. It all depends on the circumstances. The ref will decide how bad the foul is, they may warn first, letting the fight continue or may disqualify immediately.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

If it was an intentional foul and the fighter is unable to continue then the offender is disqualified. If they are able to continue they will have points deducted.

If it was a accidental foul it depends on the round. If it was in the first 2 rounds of a 3 round fight, or the first 3 of a 5 it is declared "No Contest", if it was in the 3rd of 3, or 4/5 of 5 it goes to the judges for scoring

1. If a contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts is stopped because of an accidental
foul, the referee shall determine whether the unarmed combatant who has been fouled can
continue or not. If the unarmed combatant’s chance of winning has not been seriously
jeopardized as a result of the foul and if the foul did not involve a concussive impact to
the head of the unarmed combatant who has been fouled, the referee may order the
contest or exhibition continued after a recuperative interval of not more than 5 minutes.
Immediately after separating the unarmed combatants, the referee shall inform the
Commission’s representative of his determination that the foul was accidental.
2. If the referee determines that a contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts may not
continue because of an injury suffered as the result of an accidental foul, the contest or
exhibition must be declared a no contest if the foul occurs during:
(a) The first two rounds of a contest or exhibition that is scheduled for three rounds or
less; or
(b) The first three rounds of a contest or exhibition that is scheduled for more than
three rounds.
3. If an accidental foul renders an unarmed combatant unable to continue the contest
or exhibition after:
(a) The completed second round of a contest or exhibition that is scheduled for three
rounds or less; or
(b) The completed third round of a contest or exhibition that is scheduled for more
than three rounds,
the outcome must be determined by scoring the completed rounds and the round
during which the referee stops the contest or exhibition.
4. If an injury inflicted by an accidental foul later becomes aggravated by fair blows
and the referee orders the contest or exhibition stopped because of the injury, the
outcome must be determined by scoring the completed rounds and the round during
which the referee stops the contest or exhibition.
(Added to NAC by Athletic Comm’n by R070-01, eff. 8-31-2001; A by R076-03,
12-3-2003)
- http://boxing.nv.gov/docs/MMA RULES Expained.pdf

Another larger, rules source:

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NAC/NAC-467.html#NAC467Sec698

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I've heard during interviews of fighters, there are many who strike using elbows in specific ways with the intention of opening up a cut for a victory.

I think this detracts from the "as real as it gets" goal of these events as a cut is often a nuisance or disadvantage (blood in the eyes), but not necessarily a fight-ender.

Maybe they should start requiring them to wear "elbow gloves" to prevent them from using this strategy ;)

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I've heard during interviews of fighters, there are many who strike using elbows in specific ways with the intention of opening up a cut for a victory.

I think this detracts from the "as real as it gets" goal of these events as a cut is often a nuisance or disadvantage (blood in the eyes), but not necessarily a fight-ender.

Maybe they should start requiring them to wear "elbow gloves" to prevent them from using this strategy ;)

The rule has more to do with preventing political interferance from people who see blood and think of animals than anything else.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think so, there have been some pretty nasty looking cuts not get stopped, just depends on where they are and if there is any danger from them.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've definitely seen more than one match that started with a guy wearing white shorts and ended with him wearing red shorts.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
The rule has more to do with preventing political interferance from people who see blood and think of animals than anything else.

I agree.

But the result has still been the "cut the guy with the elbow to win the fight" strategy being used by some fighters.

(As opposed to "knock 'em out" or "make 'em submit)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think so, there have been some pretty nasty looking cuts not get stopped, just depends on where they are and if there is any danger from them.

A recent UFC fight on the Tuf show with Bam,Bam. (cannot remember his name) He was cut but they allowed it to continue on due to the fact that it was not bothering him. Lots of blood but he still dominated the fight.

Latest Discussions