questions

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
are there any schools that blend boxing and throws and ground fighting well that falls into the western martial arts section of things? or would this just be jkd?
what are some of the good points of wrestling for self defense? and are there moves that alow a person to bring the fight to an end when using wrestling? im just seeing if this kind of stuff can be made to work on the street and if anybody trains it that way.
i know that there is a book called chapionship street fighting that talkes about using headbutts and such but the basic outline of the book is based off of boxing.are there any schools that teach the "dirty" parts of boxing as part of the program to make it more for street self defense? i ask this because i would guss that most boxing techers are not going to tech this stuff.
also,here is a link to some books that look cool in this area.http://www.paladin-press.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=chapionship streetfighting
chech out the books "chapionship streetfighting" and "kill as catch can".
does anyone have either of these books? what do you think of them?

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Go watch some of the old UFC matches with Don Frye, Mark Coleman, and Dan Henderson. They are boxer/wrestlers who did very well in the matches.

By the way, how is training going at your new school, drummingman? I know you did a lot of posting over the past month or two before picking and I was wondering which one you went with.

AoG

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
hay aog.i still have not started up with any schools.i plan to soon though.im still looking at different schools right now as well.there is a jkd place that im looking at and i hope to be able to watch a class soon.i have never seen a jkd class before so that should be cool.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what are some of the good points of wrestling for self defense? and are there moves that alow a person to bring the fight to an end when using wrestling? im just seeing if this kind of stuff can be made to work on the street and if anybody trains it that way.
i know that there is a book called chapionship street fighting that talkes about using headbutts and such but the basic outline of the book is based off of boxing.are there any schools that teach the "dirty" parts of boxing as part of the program to make it more for street self defense? i ask this because i would guss that most boxing techers are not going to tech this stuff.
also,here is a link to some books that look cool in this area.http://www.paladin-press.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=chapionship streetfighting
chech out the books "chapionship streetfighting" and "kill as catch can".
does anyone have either of these books? what do you think of them?

I have "Championship Streetfighting" and think it's great. There's a thread on it in Western Martial Arts.

Wrestling pros and cons for self-defense? Pros are that it is a contact sport and practitioners become used to training their techniques against resistance - and also get in great physical shape as well. Cons? Wrestlers without crosstraining are particularly vulnerable against edged weapons (of course we're all vulnerable to edged weapons). IIRC, a wrestling coach in my area was stabbed to death by a teenager he confronted on school grounds. Not to say he would have done better with another art, just that the open takedowns they use need to be modified for self-defence or MMA - which UFC Champions with a wrestling background have done very effectively.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
there is a jkd place that im looking at and i hope to be able to watch a class soon.i have never seen a jkd class before so that should be cool.

That might work for you..You'll never know unless you give it a try..Keep us updated...

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Drummingman,

We do just the exact sort of thing you are asking about in our club here in northeast Ohio.

Along with lots of weapon work we focus on boxing with a focus on the older bareknuckle styles and on western grappling methods based around wrestling and sambo for our unarmed work.

Straight wrestling as you see in school needs some tweaking before it works well but start adding in submissions from catch and work on some other arts such as sambo and the wrestling starts to really make alot of sense as a core art to add to.

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
its a shame that your school is not closer to where i live.you or your teacher would not happen to know of any schools in va that do what you do would you?

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
drummingman, there was a website that was essentially a search engine for schools in different areas... www.martialsearch.com, I believe. It's only as good as the info provided from the schools in question, but it might help you find some schools you didn't know about before.

Did you try contacting Trident in Woodbridge yet?

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i went there last night.it seems to be a very good school and im thinking about signing up.whats also cool is that there is a link on trident to the school that i trained at in minnesota.it is called the minnesota martial arts academy.
did you train at trident? how did you find out about it?

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
will do brian.im still looking for a school that will work out for me time wise and style wise.i teach drums in the evenings so it's kinda hard to find schools that work out for me time wise.i also want to be up to speed heath wise (im still having some wrist problems) before i start.i am looking forward to getting started but im doing all the research i can do while im in this down time.plus,i love finding out about different styles and their backgrounds.
as you know,i do have lots of questions.

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i went there last night.it seems to be a very good school and im thinking about signing up.whats also cool is that there is a link on trident to the school that i trained at in minnesota.it is called the minnesota martial arts academy.
did you train at trident? how did you find out about it?

I took a demo class there, and later trained at GMU with one of their instructors, Ben Gilbert, in muay thai. If his instruction was any indication of the quality at the actual academy, then it should be a good time for you. (Note that Ben's no longer at the academy- he joined the Army and went out west somewhere... not sure where he is now).

A couple of guys went from Trident to One Spirit Martial Arts in Reston; I haven't been there, but they seem like a decent group of folks judging from their forums.

Latest Discussions