Questions about Pyong Ahn Cho Dan/Preparation

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you haven't figured it out by what he means with "croos both open hands in front of the face, think of it as you are grabbing the inside of your opponents dobok, then twist out, then pull and front kick with your back leg simultaniously.

Ah! that's so simple, thank you! I wasn't sure if the palms were facing me, away or each other lol! But that does the job nicely! I suspect the book does it deliberately to make sure you ask an instructor which is a fair one really.

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
The book I work from is Grand Master Kang UK Lee, it's probably not as descriptive as it has photos. However a lot of the photos show the back view only on some which means I have to guess where the hands are sometimes as in Chil Sung Ee Ro, where it says " Simultaneously, cross both open hands in front of the face and bring them apart at eye level" in the picture you can't see the arms or the hands so I don't know what the hands are doing exactly! I can't ask my instructor, he doesn't know the hyung , I'm teaching myself which is reasonably easy as I have a good grasp of katas and hyungs plus stances and techniques..... as long as I know what they are supposed to be lol!

I have that book, actually, so I understand what you mean.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and tips. My instructor seems to be happy with my progress and I'm getting feedback on how to improve my techniques.

Also, we were doing stepping Hadan Sudo Makee with combinations the other night. We were twisting with Hadan Sudo Makee just like we do with Hadon Makee. That gave me a chance, in class, to practice.

I specifically asked about twisting in the form and was told not to, but to place my forward leg first before I chopped. This seems to force you to twist at the waist as far as I can tell. That was an important piece of information as I was likely to chop and move my leg at the same time just like we would in a low block or a high block.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you get past a certain point in your training the hyungs/katas become much easier as you will have already done the techniques and you just have to learn the actual order rather than learning a whole bunch of new techniques. It's quite satisfying when your instructor can take you through a new kata just by telling you what technique is next! If you have a book or video it's easy to follow as well when you know whats what!

It's good to remember though what you found difficult and how you got around it as you find yourself teaching others far quicker than you thought you would!

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Once you get past a certain point in your training the hyungs/katas become much easier as you will have already done the techniques and you just have to learn the actual order rather than learning a whole bunch of new techniques. It's quite satisfying when your instructor can take you through a new kata just by telling you what technique is next! If you have a book or video it's easy to follow as well when you know whats what!

It's good to remember though what you found difficult and how you got around it as you find yourself teaching others far quicker than you thought you would!

I had learned my 3rd form from the school video. I didn't learn the Pyung Ahn Cho Dan from the video because I didn't know what the various moves were, like the chop block down the middle or the low knife blocks. Even watching the video, knowing to look for arm preparation and defensive/offensive stepping wasn't that helpful. There are books we can buy but I haven't had the $$ to fork over yet.

At least I knew half of the form already. There is something exciting, though, about the challenge of learning new moves even if I feel like my brain is going to blow up sometimes.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had learned my 3rd form from the school video. I didn't learn the Pyung Ahn Cho Dan from the video because I didn't know what the various moves were, like the chop block down the middle or the low knife blocks. Even watching the video, knowing to look for arm preparation and defensive/offensive stepping wasn't that helpful. There are books we can buy but I haven't had the $$ to fork over yet.

At least I knew half of the form already. There is something exciting, though, about the challenge of learning new moves even if I feel like my brain is going to blow up sometimes.

Wow! I didn't start teaching myself until I'd got my 1st Dan and outstripped my TSD instructor! I've never had to teach myself the basic kata thankfully. It's impressive that you have taught yourself, it can't have been easy but I must admit I'm a bit appalled that you had to!

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My form is getting better and better. The Hadon Sudo Makees aren't quite "natural" yet (well, it's been just over a week since I started learning the form). I have to do this form in the competition in October so I want it to be great. I don't care about winning but I do care about executing the form well.

My daughter wants to teach me one of the Chil Sun forms and have me do that. Maybe later. Much later!

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow! I didn't start teaching myself until I'd got my 1st Dan and outstripped my TSD instructor! I've never had to teach myself the basic kata thankfully. It's impressive that you have taught yourself, it can't have been easy but I must admit I'm a bit appalled that you had to!
Well, I was taught the first form and second forms. The second, Gi Cho Hyung E Bu, was fairly easy as it's almost identical to the first, except for high punches and high blocks. The third form I did learn from our school's DVD; I was troubled that I didn't get feedback during the two months before my next belt test. By definition, as a beginner, I need correction. They thought I was doing great, come to find out. But I didn't know that. You can always go a little deeper in the back stance, you can always square your shoulders (that's a problem I have, sloppy shoulders), and a million other things.

This time around, they are paying much more attention to my form and correcting me. I ask questions, too, by the way. I am finding out asking questions is the best way to improve. There isn't always time for questions or an appropriate time. I wait for the instructor to ask if anyone has a question or if they are working with me one-on-one. The Pyong Ahn Cho Dan form has a lot of room for mistakes.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
My uniform is too floppy to snap - 8 oz. I really have tried to snap it with a good punch. I might was well snap a sock.

Well, I wouldn't have been surprised if you were doing your Pyung Ahns in a different order. I'd read something here about the third one having been first - some political thing where they'd been flip-flopped.

Okinawan Japanese Korean
Pinan Nidan(2) Heian Shodan Pyong Ahn Chodan
Pinan Shodan(1) Heian Nidan Pyong Ahn Nidan

Funakoshi Gichin (maybe his son) switched the order for the ease of learning.

Iain Abernethy has a theory that Pinan Shodan (our Pyong Ahn Ee Dan) was first because of the pedagogy behind the learning order. Check out his podcasts for more info.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okinawan Japanese Korean
Pinan Nidan(2) Heian Shodan Pyong Ahn Chodan
Pinan Shodan(1) Heian Nidan Pyong Ahn Nidan

Funakoshi Gichin (maybe his son) switched the order for the ease of learning.

Iain Abernethy has a theory that Pinan Shodan (our Pyong Ahn Ee Dan) was first because of the pedagogy behind the learning order. Check out his podcasts for more info.

Do you have the link to that podcast? I must be blind...

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, my back leg is bent. I don't see how a cat stance could be performed without bending your leg since it's meant to be a transitory defensive position. It's not a strong stance that you use to hold ground with. The bending helps you explode into more avoiding footwork or hopefully a more attacking posture. I'm rather fond of dropping into a cat stance as when I sidestep an attacker. I then immediately counter with a lead leg front kick, since the weight loading is already conveniently in place already.

Of course I am more of an Okinawan karate guy, so your mileage may vary.
The deal is we weren't going into a cat stance/hulgul jaseh at that point. It is some other kind of move. We only do the cat stance with the Hadon Soo Do Makees. I realize that's different than how some people do the form.

After doing the low block on the right side, we straighten our left leg, pull in the right foot on it's toe, do a downward hammer strike, then we pull the left foot in perpendicular to our left foot, performing a hammer strike /block at the same angle as an inside/outside block.

Latest Discussions