Questions about FMA styles and studying in the Philippines...

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol wrote that "You'll have 11 months for a lot of bad/improper habits to sneak in."

That's true for anyone (and true for most). An alternative is to learn a couple good/proper habits and machine these out for 11 months in between one month visits.

There's plenty of fighting spirit in both the Doce Pares and Balintawak camps. I suggest you try out a few teachers/schools and choose the one that helps you the most with your fundamentals. That's not to say that anyone or any one school is better than another - it's just that you may find one that's the best match to your learning style. Again - when it comes to long distance training, "less is more."

Best,

Steve Lamade

Salagubang

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
True, but I may have no other choice. At first I was looking to study the use of a weapon in China, but I soon learned that all has been lost, save for the bloody forms. I studied a bit of Kendo after that realisation, but the the only thing worse than quality of the instructors was their terrible lack of fighting spirit.

I want to go to battle and they want to tap each other and pay attention to points.

1: "Ha, I cut you!"
2: "No way! That's ********!"
Me: "I'll settle this." *Chops both idiots' heads off with a real sword*

Anyways, why fight with sticks and pretend they are swords when you can just fight with sticks and perfect that technique?

Unless I can find a good FMA school in China I'll have no choice but to go to the Philippines as outlined above.
=================================================
...One Instructor of KEAT FMA Group travels to Shanghai and stay there
for 2-3days every week. you can email them to make arrangement....
surely this is the cheapest way for you....but of course training in Cebu
is still the BEST

...try to contact my good Friend Master Kyle Abella as i mentioned you to
him yesterday.

Cheers!!!!

OP
MaartenSFS

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have several ideas now about studying Arnis... Thanks a lot for all the encouraging replies. After I get some personal problems sorted out here I will mostly likely start with the KEAT group. I have contacted with them and they seem really nice snd driven. I will consider about going to the Philippines later. Thanks again everyone. ;)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is outstanding news! Very happy for you Maartin! :)

PeteNerd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum. Let me begin with my background:

I am currently living in China where I am disappointed by the lack of weapons martial arts (They just wave flexible things and dance around). I tried various other weapons arts, but I just like sticks, especially telescoping batons. And I want to learn how to fight, not how to LAPR. So, naturally, I have come to find FMA and Indonesian MA quite intriguing.

I have two questions:

1) Which style is the most fit for me? I want to learn how to fight only with a single stick (Solo baston?) and nothing flashy. I want to learn something practical and very... warrior-like (I.E. Not like the "sword fighting" that some ******* call Kendo). I want to scream and hit things with sticks (I am not a psychopath, just spirited). Powerful hits and low stances are nice, but it needs to be practical as well. Disarms are interesting as well.

2) I want to learn in the Philippines. Every RMB should be worth 6 pesos over there so I hope to study for several months if I can. I want to learn the basics within that time and will devote myself to this cause. Where can I learn and how much would it cost to live simply while there (Including the cost of the lessons both one on one and class, so that I can compare prices).

I know that's a lot to ask but I hope that some of the people here with experience may know. Thank you for your time.

- Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker

Talk to Henry Jayme from Visayan Martial Arts. He teaches balintawak and tat kun tao in Ceub. His rates are very reasonable and he can probably help you find accommodation. I would highly recommend him to anyone.

http://www.visayanmartialarts.com/

Pete

Latest Discussions