Question

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am drawn to articles that are written about the old time Masters. I find it interesting to try and envision their mind-set, and try to understand where they were coming from. By reading these types of articles, it helps me to understand my art better.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like reading about Martial Artists who were successfully able to use their skills to thwart real life attacks, resulting in the bad guys arrest.
This sends a message that Martial Arts/Combatives training gives you an advantage in life.

Franco

Teufel Hunden

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am drawn to articles that are written about the old time Masters. I find it interesting to try and envision their mind-set, and try to understand where they were coming from. By reading these types of articles, it helps me to understand my art better.

I'm drawn to them as well. In addition, I really enjoy historical articles, or even ones with in depth looks at legends or passed down wisdom and the like. :D

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Practical step-by-step training articles about specific techniques, usually.

chaos1551

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like reading articles that focus on a specific style of MA, but delve into all aspects of it from application and technique to lineage and history.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm drawn to the articles that that talk about how everything I've ever studied or learned is wrong and that this article will show me the real way to defeat an attacker by being the most violent psychopath I could ever imagine.

They are very entertaining. I like articles about very old martial arts and articles about tactics and battlefield strategy.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like interviews with masters and fighters. Guys on the level of like Tadashi Nakamura (I list him first because he's my grandmaster) Fumio Demura, Jeff Speakman, Jerry Poteet, Jon Bluming, Larry tatum, Huk Planas, Shokei Matsui. I like articles about the men and what they do, I hate when they try to teach in magazines, it's limited space and concepts are never dleved into that deeply. It's a couple pictures and a line of explanation, you rearly get different angles or anythign that makes it much mroe than a curiosity.

Also, I love old fight stories. Those old Chuck Norris, Bill Wallace, Bob Wall, Pat Johnson stories always crack me up.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I am drawn to those types of articles as well for pretty much the same reason and I am also drawn to just about any article on MA history

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mostly MA history and articles on specific people and things they`ve done. I guess you could call them biographies of people who`ve really mastered an art or used it in real fights time and again.

I can get all the theory and technique instuction I want in class. I like to hear "war stories".

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Same as others: first person interviews of seniors, and translations of old articles/interviews given by karate teachers that have passed.

Latest Discussions