Question to everyone!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When we were in the Flower Hill shopping center and our sign said, "Karate/Kendo," lots of people called it karate. Now that we've moved to warehouse space and our sign says, "Korean Martial Arts," nobody calls it karate.

The last time I was asked about karate, it was a customer asking what style of karate we taught, similar to what Shesulsa said. I answered, "taekwondo," and then walked them over to Master Kim. The student signed up and is stil with us, though I've never heard him say, 'karate' after that.

Daniel

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Karate" is a group heading for a large number of martial arts. It is not, in and of itself, a single martial art.

This is also becoming the case with taekwondo :)

Already happened with hapkido ;)

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Karate is still going to be the blanket term...especially to people who have never been exposed to martail arts at all. That's what the media does for us...

I've been asked if I was a ninja before.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have never observed this. I certainly don't think you're making it up, but I've never seen it. What is generally grouped under the hapkido heading? Not debating you; I am curious.

Daniel

Well, look at karate: it is actually, as noted, a catch-all name for a long list of "ryus." They all punch and kick, but there are significant differences in their focus and curriculum.

The same is true of hapkido: one catch all name for a (not QUITE as) long, list of kwans. We all kick, throw, choke and joint lock, but there are significant differences in our focus and curriculum.

And, to restate my former claim: the same is happening in taekwondo.

Does a TKD practitioner train, WTF sport? Kukkiwon "Taegueks" traditional? ITF "Chong Hon" traditional? ATA TKD? American Freestyle?

Give it a few years, and saying you study "taekwondo" will require futher explanation.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, look at karate: it is actually, as noted, a catch-all name for a long list of "ryus." They all punch and kick, but there are significant differences in their focus and curriculum.

The same is true of hapkido: one catch all name for a (not QUITE as) long, list of kwans. We all kick, throw, choke and joint lock, but there are significant differences in our focus and curriculum.

Does a TKD practitioner train, WTF sport? Kukkiwon "Taegueks" traditional? ITF "Chong Hon" traditional? ATA TKD? American Freestyle?

Give it a few years, and saying you study "taekwondo" will require futher explanation.

I agree in a few years we will need to be really explaning to everyone that things are differentat all the schools.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree in a few years we will need to be really explaning to everyone that things are differentat all the schools.

And Terry, I suspect over time the arts will murge many of their best techniques.

The martial arts have been here at times where very little was written down and people didn't travel so far. As a result most kind of kept to themselves and developed their ways to fight people who were fighting them the same way.

But nowdays, between Hollywood and the internet, so many ideas exchange back and forth I can see a much more effective martial art growing. One that has the best techniuqes all the arts have to offer. And that includes philosophy.

JKD started that way (and at heart I'm a JKDist.) I hope to see one day the term Karate means THE martial art.

Deaf

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, I have been mulling this over. I used to try to tell people TKD=/= Karate, but frankly, it does not matter.

Maybe if I was Japanese or Korean or Chinese. But I am not. And considering how the situation is internally....it is completely irrelevant. What matters is what you do, not what everybody else calls it.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I appreciate the reply. I am at present a novice hapkidoin; pal geub (yellow belt at our dojang), getting ready to test for chil geub, which is a green tip at our dojang. I've been focusing on the curriculum and am only just starting to get a feel for hapkido as it exists outside of our dojang. Taekwondo, on the other hand, I am very familiar with in regards to the various kwans and federations.

I'd say that point is essentially here within the taekwondo community, as evidenced by many of the discussions here and on other forums.

Daniel

TaeKwonDoKevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A mother of one of my students calls me Sensei, the DoBok a Gi and the Dojang a Dojo.:confused:
I have tried to explain the difference to her....No Success....come to find out, her brother is a Black Belt in KARATE.:rolleyes:

Yea, other parents call it Karate, so some of the young kids do. I correct the students.

-Kevin

Latest Discussions