Question on drill

I

IFAJKD

I think to continue to se a training benefit, you have to add a mix into the drill. If Hubud is your base you add elements of trapping, dumog, HKE, knife stick etc. Sensitivity training is great and absoultly needed when training trapping but is 10 times more important when training the blade. Try gound fighting. Focus on takedowns with someone ending up in the guard or mount and hubud from there, now add a knife or any knife sensitivity drill. Have fun with it

B

Bob

Originally posted by IFAJKD
I think to continue to se a training benefit, you have to add a mix into the drill. If Hubud is your base you add elements of trapping, dumog, HKE, knife stick etc. Sensitivity training is great and absoultly needed when training trapping but is 10 times more important when training the blade. Try gound fighting. Focus on takedowns with someone ending up in the guard or mount and hubud from there, now add a knife or any knife sensitivity drill. Have fun with it

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated!!!
quick question, what does HKE stand for???

Bob

I

IFAJKD

Sorry, I get that sometimes and I should learn......
simply
Headbutts, Knees and Elbows. I really believe that these are without doubt the major combative tools you can have and to leave them out of sensitivity training is a bad decision.

B

Bob

Thanks, and I agree
I have been on both ends HKE and they are great tools....

Thanks again, great info!!!

Bob

Mao

Black Belt
Reaction score
I love sensitivity drills. Especially when the person your training with has no sensitivity. :) I was teaching an aikido class recently and introduced the concept of sensitivity during a couple of movements. Cripe, it was like a light went on over their heads! It appeared that they had never heard of this or thought of it. This was especially interesting because there was a person in the class who out rankes me. Their movement noticably improved and they could apply the technique much more easily. This illustrates the importance of cross training also, me thinks. :D

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mao
I love sensitivity drills. Especially when the person your training with has no sensitivity. :) I was teaching an aikido class recently and introduced the concept of sensitivity during a couple of movements. Cripe, it was like a light went on over their heads! It appeared that they had never heard of this or thought of it. This was especially interesting because there was a person in the class who out rankes me. Their movement noticably improved and they could apply the technique much more easily. This illustrates the importance of cross training also, me thinks. :D

Unfortunately, until recently, I was one of those people who had little sensitivity and I still get smacked around by the two FCS guros I train with :)

I think aikido people, particularly the higher ranked, need some sensitivity so they can adjust their techniques to inexperienced or smart-aleck uke who give them the wrong energy. If said uke is supposed to be giving you shomen uchi, and try changing it to something else when nage grabs them, then the nage should be able to feel that and adjust accordingly. That being said, I think the higher ranked aikido people do tend to develop that given time; it's just not explicitly trained like the FMA. Or maybe it is, but I just don't know any better :)

Cthulhu

Mao

Black Belt
Reaction score
cthulu,
Your right. There are alot of higher ranking aikidoka that do not use much control, or they get disgusted when working with a beginner because they can't rock. I think the importance of working with beginners is far reaching. It helps to develope some control, it helps to develope some tolerance for those who have not been training too long, it helps to develope the ability to teach, and it helps to develope patience. The beginner has more to offer than they usually know. Sometimes when a higher ranking person is amidst some beginners, their ego gets the best of them. That's when the teacher should step in. :D Perhaps use them as uke for the next movement. :D That wasn't very nice, was it? :rolleyes:

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mao,

I think one of the reasons the FCS guys like training with me is because they can better utilize their sensitivity. Both of them have such good 'neutral' energy, and they are so familiar with each other, they have to work hard to find each others' weaknesses. Me, they smack around at will :D

Cthulhu

Latest Discussions