Question about Nak Bup

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Miles:

Nice thought. The 9th comination in our kwan for level One practitioners is to "make a friend of the floor". Its dependable, constant and has its many-varied personalities just like people do. Learning how to deal with one kind of ground as compared to another kind of surface is part of learning the art. I don't recommend doing breakfalls on concrete or asphalt, but doing falling on a variety of surfaces can be an eye-opener regarding what makes some points in falling more important than others. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

W

whalen

Miles said:
My instructor says, "Relax, the ground will catch you."

Miles

I love it I am going to steal that line ,If he does not have copy rights.

Hal Whalen

Grubic

White Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
My instructor says, "Relax, the ground will catch you."
When I was real little I used to be afraid that I would fall out of the bed and hurt myself. My grandmother said something that calmed me down. When I heard it I thought that I'd be ok. Looking back on it now I have no idea why it calmed me down. She used to say "Don't worry, you won't fall farther than the floor!" It worked back then, but when I think about it now I don't know how I ever fell asleep as a kid :)

Grubic.

Kuk Sa Nim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kumbajah said:
I think nak bup is one of the most important and practical things we learn in Hapkido. You may never get into an altercation, but chances are you will fall down.

What I can get my head around is Nak Bup for distance and hight. Granted it looks cool and does bring a sense of accomplishment but... Any thoughts on the reasons behind practicing it?

Brian

Very good topic, and one I have personal experience in. One aspect of martial arts training that one is most likely going to use to protect ones life is the ability to fall safely. As a general rule of thumb, when our balance is upset and gravity takes over, the average person will fight against the falling motion. We must learn to know when not to fight it and go with it. How many seniors have died because of broken hips, etc due to a fall. I can't count how many times I've heard a story come back into my class by a student on how falling skills had saved their life. The key is learning proper technique, and good soft cushy mats. This will allow you to learn the technique, and not be worried about pain. Once the technique is taking hold, then start taking mats away. Remember, we do not have mats out in real life. Yes, you may be fortunate to fall on some nice grass in the park, etc. but your luck just may be that your feet hit the concrete, or you may also find the one hard spot in the entire park, etc.

To the main question: High falling and Distance Falling, I have personal stories for BOTH! Each time I looked up afterwards and thanked my teacher for giving me that skill.

While stationed in Korea, I fell over ten feet head first off a wing of a parked jet. I slipped and fell backwards onto the flightline, and instinctively did a high back breakfall, immediately popped up and got right back to work, until I noticed everyone had stopped and were frozen with mouths wide open. I then realized what had just happened, and made little of it, except thanking my teacher.

The other major instance was when I was hit while driving my motorcycle. I was going approx 45 mph, no helmet, leathers, etc. only wearing a t-shirt, jeans and topsiders. A car backed right into me and I actually hit his bumper with my right shin as my bike crumpled and flew, as I flew over the length of the car right into the middle of the street. I don't know how I kept my position, but I instinctively did a flying roll, tucked my head, protected my vitals and rode it out (I ended up being spit up and rolling about 3-4 times on the ground due to the extreme speed my body was going). I stood up waiting to see a bone sticking out somewhere, or blood, or something.....Nothing. I had a scrape and some gravel in my right palm and shoulder, and that's it.

I went right into class and personally thanked my teacher, and fellow students for constantly using me as their dummy in testings, and especially my teacher having me jump over soo many people, over and over in demos. Mostly without mats.

So, anyway, I thought you'd might find these actual stories interesting as they relate (in quite an extreme fashion) to your questions.

With brotherhood,
Grand Master Michael De Alba

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you very much for posting this, Kuk Sa Nim De Alba. I appreciate your taking time to post here. :asian:

JKN Ketchmark

Latest Discussions