Question about a technique against a tackle

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo Yahoo said:
Not to pick on you Josh, because I do understand what your were saying, but your statement brought to mind something that me and some of my kenpo buddies were talking about this week.

Again not to pick on Josh, but the wording reminded me of an old Jim Carrey skit on In Living Color. The one where he was a women's self defense instructor, who was teaching a defense against a knife and got stabbed by his student. While bleeding profusely, he went on to inform the student that like most beginners in the martial arts the woman attacked wrong.

Sometimes I think we get so caught up in the TECHNIQUE itself and forget that we have tools and concepts in place that when used correctly will provide a response for a number of different attacks.

Again, I don't think that Josh was implying this but it just reminded me of a conversation from earlier. (I'm at work now so I had to cut this a little short I will post more later).

Kenpo Yahoo,

Hello sir. I understand your point of my wording and it is funny as well because I just recently downloaded that particular clip to my computer at the school, thanks to Mr. Dahl of Denmark for finding it for me :) Great clip. (If anyone has not seen it, I will be sure to e-mail it!)

In anycase, I kind of left out the details when I mentioned, "... if properly attacked." The way I see this attack and the way I present it to my students in the school is to be dealing with a experienced wrestler/ grappler shooting at your legs from a closer distance... rather than this running bull approach from a longer distance. Yes, the technique can deal with this attack as well. I do not want to sound like I am throwing certain attacks to the side, however I feel a shoot is harder to contend with.

I recommend everyone to approach this particular attack in many ways... from a slight angle, very close, a slight run, a hesitate wrestler, a full out charge, and so on... My original point in the post above was for the placement of the knee strike.

Sorry for the missing details. Wish you the best.

Respectfully,
Josh

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is CRAZY: Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer In waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and llsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mind deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. amzanig, huh? :uhyeah: ]

Hey i loved it kenpo yahoo

K

Karazenpo

hammer said:
This is CRAZY: Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer In waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and llsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mind deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. amzanig, huh? :uhyeah: ]

LOL, I like that one Hammer, and I had no problem easily reading it either, lol, good one!

T

triwahine

hammer said:

Hammer,

I had no problem reading this. Thanks for sharing.

:)

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score

Gents i better get in quick , this was taken from KENPO YAHOO, quote, my post was refering thanks to KENPO YAHOO , I THOUGHT IS WAS PRETTY COOL, also lol,

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
CB2379 said:
Hi Everyone,
Yesterday I learned a technique named Intercepting the Ram, which is a technique against an attempted tackle in which the person ultimately has made contact is attempted to wrap his arm around you.

The first part of the technique calls for the defender to step to the side and raise the right leg to crush his chest while taking the right fist and hammering the back of the neck.

I am somewhat concerned about whether going on one foot while someone charges you will cause more harm for the defender because it might throw them off balance. I know we are taught to drop our weight and with out knees locked but I think that as someone charges you with full force, taking a slight step away and raising your leg could hurt you more then them.

Does anyone have any insight on this so I can take these suggestions to my class tomorrow?

Thanks,
Chuck
i was to lazy to read all the posts; sorry if i repeat what someone already said.

i really don't like assuming, but i assume you are practicing a tackle coming from the waste on down. so, with that assumption...

i would drop my left arm under the attackers right arm and hook it. at the same time, i would put my right hand on the back of the attackers neck.

now, lift up on the arm that's hooked and push down the the back of the neck and flip the attacker over.

you should find yourself mounted on top and in position to do your thing.

as always, this opinion may not reflect the views on this board.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
koga ha said:
i really don't like assuming, but i assume you are practicing a tackle coming from the waste on down. so, with that assumption...

i would drop my left arm under the attackers right arm and hook it. at the same time, i would put my right hand on the back of the attackers neck.

now, lift up on the arm that's hooked and push down the the back of the neck and flip the attacker over.

you should find yourself mounted on top and in position to do your thing.

as always, this opinion may not reflect the views on this board.
sounds like grafting to the extension of Locked Wing... works for me.
good "even-if" in the event he doesn't follow along your redirection.

pete.

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I wast taught this technique a couple of years ago, I was to keep retreating. You would explode in the begining with the knee to his fase, the heal palm, and the hammer fist. And than start to retreat while snapping his kneck and all of that. Try that.

Kenpobuff

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In my Kenpo system we call it "Meeting the Tackle" which is a defense from a low two armed tackle to the legs not the body. I'm am not comfortable with the technique but with practice maybe it works. I am happy that there are so many different versions to this, maybe I can use your ideas to make it easier for me.

This technique is taught in our 2nd Brown and in this situation we are taught the technique by raising your left knee prior to the attack, one legged stance (which is awkward for me when someone is coming at you with any speed, kind of like a "Karate Kid" crane stance). Just as they try to grab your legs you deliver a right knee strike to their head followed by a downward hammerfist to the back of their head/neck. Step back into a Left Side Horse Stance while delivering a Left Downward Elbow Strike to their back. Step back with your left foot into a Right Twist Stance while checking their head with your left hand. Deliver a Right Inward Elbow Sandwich Strike with your left hand to the opponent’s head as you untwist into a Right Side Horse Stance. Turn to face 6:00 in a Right Reverse Bow. Check on top of their head with your right hand and deliver a Right Upward Rear Heel Hook Kick to their groin. Cover out.

That's how I learned it and I want to again thank you all for the different versions. I think I will mention the variations to my instructor and see what he thinks.

Latest Discussions