Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
If a train left New York at noon going to Los Angeles, and at
the same time on the same track a train is leaving Los Angeles
and headed for New York, both trains are going a speed of 98
miles per hour .. at what time will the emminent collision happen?

There always has to be one.......... 12:eek:'clock...... not it time to save the trains....... but I'll have to track this one..... But if I went to the Stations 2 hours after they left and no one was around..... I would know that they left! (I could see their tracks)

Now smart guy....... KENPO QUESTIONS ONLY ....... geez

:rofl:
:asian:

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempojujutsu
I have seen this technique, but this one I beleive would not work in a real life situation. I have try doing this technique, it hurts my shoulders to reach up like that and grab. Second if they have a tight squeeze on your neck you got on seconds to get it off. Third I have heard of people trying to do a thumb lock with the back of the neck. thats B.S also. It is easier for the attacker to pull you back then is for you to pull him forward. I beleive in have a couple base techniques that work really well. Then having many that may only work occasional.
Bob :asian:

Well Bob,

Each technique/drill is taught for a reason, and they are only different possibilities that one may use to escape from a given attack. It certainly is not the only technique you could use and can be modified via knowledge of your "kenpo tools", i.e., you could stomp the instep to loosen up the grip so as to make it easier to escape thru the knowledgeable use of the equation formula's prefix.

I don't know exactly how clearly it was explained to you. There are several interpretations ..... here is an idea also...... you don't even need the hands to escape this hold..... you step off to your left and dip your head (as is done in the base explanation) and turn counter clockwise (without the hand grabs) and raise up. That alone can release the grip. From there you can left reverse sword hand to the groin or run.....

There are many, many different understandings of each technique to explore ask your instructor and keep working and studying the system ......... Your questions will lead you to the truth and knowledge.

eternalwhitebelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
How do you explain the hand isolations at the end of form six? Disarms? Do you explicitely teach this, or do you just say they are disarms( if they are), and leave the student to try to figure out how they are applied?

EXcellent use of this forum. I have been waiting for this to be used for the right purposes.

eternalwhitebelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
When you teach short one how indepth do you go? Do you just explain walking the neutral with a double factor block, or do you unload everything you know about it? Could you unload some of the more esoteric knowledge you have concerning this form? Just a little something off the wall that will get me thinking.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by eternalwhitebelt
How do you explain the hand isolations at the end of form six? Disarms? Do you explicitely teach this, or do you just say they are disarms( if they are), and leave the student to try to figure out how they are applied?
EXcellent use of this forum. I have been waiting for this to be used for the right purposes.

at the end of Long 6 are (don't tell anyone now.... this is secret)
the Right and Left hand movements of the 1st Technique in the form, and the next set are the Right and Left hand movements of the last technique in the form.

Thank you...... I think this is also a productive and useful way to ask questions.

G

GouRonin

Call the train station. They pay people to figure this out for you.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by eternalwhitebelt
When you teach short one how indepth do you go? Do you just explain walking the neutral with a double factor block, or do you unload everything you know about it? Could you unload some of the more esoteric knowledge you have concerning this form? Just a little something off the wall that will get me thinking.

All my teaching depends upon who I am teaching at that time. If it is an adult or child I may vary the type of instruction..... Lets talk adult and beginner........

I teach the basic form and do not "unload" (as you say lol) the entire realm of possibilities (that would take me several hours or days anyway). They are beginners and as such can and need only the basic understandings at this time, Emphasis ("at this time"). Kenpo is a "Process" and as such we need only to impart the necessary material that the student needs right now. At a later date once they have matured with skill and familiarity of the form (or technique) then it is time to impart more of the meanings and usage of the Form.

The 1st 4 Forms to our system are the dictionary's of the system and as such define movements that we use. here are a few....

Short Form # 1 teaches .....
Retreat while blocking with the front arm
Double factor
Rotation..... arm/body
Increasing depth
narrowing width
dropping height
4 basic blocks
180 degree angle changes
90 degree angle changes
to cover
opposing forces
settling
eye focus
peripheral vision
transitory covers
rear leg buckles
front leg checks
multiple striking within one motion
others.......

Mr. Parker has a saying.... "In motion is motion often overlooked"

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you still find time to physically practice alone each week and if so, how much time on average?
Respectfully,
Mace

eternalwhitebelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
I knew that they are the 1st movements of the first and last techs. in the form, I just wanted to know if you taught any applications for these movements. They seem to be very similar to filipino strips.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mace
Do you still find time to physically practice alone each week and if so, how much time on average?

Of late, no I don't work out physically, more teaching and administrative. When I do it is usually for 30 minutes to an hour at this point in my life. When I was younger I would spend 3 to 4 hours a day.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When you do get the chance to practice, what do you practice the most?

Also, I have heard many times the first four forms are the dictonary of kenpo and the others the encyclopedias. Could you please expand on this a little more what you mean?

(a little slow of mind still, but improving)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

( Please excuse the non-Kempo/Kenpo answer *)

I believe that the collision will not occur.

If A train left at Noon from NY and then
left at 9 AM from LA which is actually three
hours time delayed, when one would think the
trains would meet, would not occur since the
frame of reference for each train would be at
a different time. Therefore, the trains would
not collide since they would not be in the
same place at the same time.

See what a little bit of Philosophy and Mathematics
and late night bonfires and beer can get you. :D

Back to Kempo/Kenpo - My apologies for the interruption.

Rich

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Rich Parsons

( Please excuse the non-Kempo/Kenpo answer *)

I believe that the collision will not occur.

If A train left at Noon from NY and then
left at 9 AM from LA which is actually three
hours time delayed, when one would think the
trains would meet, would not occur since the
frame of reference for each train would be at
a different time. Therefore, the trains would
not collide since they would not be in the
same place at the same time.

See what a little bit of Philosophy and Mathematics
and late night bonfires and beer can get you. :D

Back to Kempo/Kenpo - My apologies for the interruption.

Rich

Aha, but they're on the same track, with a set velocity. The
NY train would leave at noon EST, and the LA train would leave
at noon PST. So you'd have to factor in 3 hours of distance on
the NY train (3 x 98). Given the distance, 98 mph isn't all that
much, so a collision, I THINK would be eminant. I'm not gonna
actually figure it out though, it was a joke :-D .. but I couldn't
resist arguing with ya! ;)

R

RCastillo

Aha, but they're on the same track, with a set velocity. The
NY train would leave at noon EST, and the LA train would leave
at noon PST. So you'd have to factor in 3 hours of distance on
the NY train (3 x 98). Given the distance, 98 mph isn't all that
much, so a collision, I THINK would be eminant. I'm not gonna
actually figure it out though, it was a joke :-D .. but I couldn't
resist arguing with ya! ;)

You know, I always hated math in school, and I still hate it now. It's time to end this exercise in futility right now!

:redeme:

Dominic Jones

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi Dennis

3 quick questions:confused:

When teaching a step through side blade kick does your supporting foot stay in a neutal 45 degrees OR pivot to 90, 180 degrees?

When sparring what guard position do you prefer? One high/one low OR both high (boxing style) covering the head?

After a belt test do you have a standard belt giving ceremony. If so what do you do and say?

Cheers Dominic
:D

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93
When you do get the chance to practice, what do you practice the most?

Also, I have heard many times the first four forms are the dictionary of kenpo and the others the encyclopedias. Could you please expand on this a little more what you mean?

1)
It all depends upon what I am working on at the current time. Some times it techniques, sometimes its forms, always work on basics and form...... balance also.

2)
Definitions "define" motion........ encyclopedias "explain details"....

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dominic Jones
When teaching a step through side blade kick does your supporting foot stay in a neutal 45 degrees OR pivot to 90, 180 degrees?

When sparring what guard position do you prefer? One high/one low OR both high (boxing style) covering the head?

After a belt test do you have a standard belt giving ceremony. If so what do you do and say?

Cheers Dominic

1)
My base (left) foot pivots (points back) towards 7:eek: clock (if kicking with the right)

2)
* I use several positions depending up who my opponent is an
what he does.....
*If he is a head hunter then at least my lead hand is high......
*If a lead leg groin kicker my rear hand is usually lower....
*Normally both hands are mid chest or front hand low on my hips
and rear hand near center chest, until I figure out what he
does.........

3)
I posted the belt ceremony once on Martial Talk.......

FORMAL PROCEDURES TO BE OBSERVED DURING EXAMINATION FOR PROMOTION (Observers are not permitted to witness the Formal Test)

During the testing period for promotion, the following formalities should be adhered to:

LINE UP The students (or student) being tested will be commanded to line up at the designated area.

TRAINING HORSE - They will then be commanded to execute a Training Horse Stance (with their fists clenched and cocked on their hips).

They are to remain in this stance until the Board of Examiners
(Testing Committee) give them further instructions.

MEDITATE Meditation will be the next command.

ATTENTION Attention will be the next command.

SALUTATION The group will then be commanded to execute the Full Salutation.

BOW The command to bow will then be given.

SIT DOWN Students being tested will then be commanded to sit down on the mat, cross their legs, sit erect, and keep their hands on their laps. (The Board of Examiners has the option to request that students stand, reposition themselves, or make any other adjustments dictated by environment, or by the nature of the Test.)

FRONT & CENTER When student names are called, they are to come to the front, center themselves before the Board, stand at
Attention (with their hands alongside their legs), and focus their attention on the Chief Examiner conducting the test.

RESPONSE Students will then listen to what is asked of them and
respond, "Yes Sir", in acknowledgement of each and every request.

COMMENCE Depending upon the request, the student will commence by demonstrating his skill and knowledge according to the best of his ability.

SALUTE After completing everything that is requested, the student will then salute the Board of Examiners and await the command to return.

RETURN The student will then be commanded to return to his/her position and await further instructions. (Encourage
students to take prompt action when returning to their former position.)

LINE UP At the conclusion of the testing period, all students will
be commanded to line up in a straight line in front of the Board
of Examiners. They will then be commanded to remain in a
Training Horse Stance (with their fists clenched and cocked on
heir hips.)

They are to remain fast and await further instructions.

DECISION - At this point the Board of Examiners must make whatever decisions are necessary to establish who passed or failed their test. It is suggested that the Board of Examiners seek an isolated area, or room, where no one (other than the Examiners) can hear the discussions and decisions that are being made. Once the decisions are made, with the majority rule taking precedent, return to the testing area to inform the students as to who passed or failed.

NOTE: Students being tested are to be warned that any talking,
slouching, or unapproved adjournment during the testing period
could result in disqualification.

FURTHER NOTE: Realizing that testing procedures often require
tailoring, permission is hereby granted if such action is
necessary to improve the situation.

REMINDER: The above procedures are for FORMAL TESTS and observers are not permitted to witness such tests. Instructors, however, may wish to conduct INFORMAL TESTS of their own. In this case observers may be permitted if so elected.

FORMAL PROCEDURES TO BE OBSERVED DURING PROMOTION

RETURN - The Board of Examiners, upon their return, will now become the Presentation Committee.

ATTENTION At this point it is the duty of the Chief Examiner to call the students to Attention. Upon his command, the students will snap to Attention and face the Presentation Committee as they re- enter the room.

COMMENTS General and specific comments will then be adressed to individuals or the group as a whole. Students will
then be told whether they passed or failed.

FRONT & CENTER Those individuals who did not pass the test will be asked to reassemble to the rear. Those who passed will be asked to move to the front and center themselves before the Presentation Committee. If the number of students who passed are of concern, it is recommended that two or more lines be formed to accommodate the group. If there is only enough to form one line, have the students remain where they are presently standing.

KNEEL The students will receive the command to kneel before the Presentation Committee.

NEW BELT The new belt will then be placed on the floor in front of, and parallel to the student.

OLD BELT The students will then be commanded to take off their old belt. They are to neatly fold their old belt and place it
vertically and to the left of their new belt so that when the left
end of the new belt touches the bottom end of the old belt, they
form the letter "L". They will then be instructed as to the significance of this belt formation.

THE TOUCH From the students' kneeling position, command them to bow, and touch their foreheads to the top and flat side
of their new belt. Have them remain in this position for at least six (6) seconds before returning to their kneeling, upright position. They will again be instructed as to the significance of this formality.

NEW BELT The students who have passed will then put on their new belt and will adjust the knot on their belt so that it is
positioned properly.

RISE Upon the command rise, the students will then snap into an
Attention Stance.

TRAINING HORSE - When commanded, the students will then drop into a Training Horse with their fists clenched and on their hips.

INITIATION The Chief Examiner and the Instructor(s) will then
initiate the students, as well as explain the reason for the
initiation.

ATTENTION The passing group will then be commanded to come to Attention.

LINE UP The entire group (whether they passed or failed) will then be commanded to again return back to their original formation when first tested and line up in an orderly manner.

COMMENTS Final comments will be addressed to the students.

COMMITTEE - At this point the Presentation Committee will also stand and form a line facing the students. The highest ranking belt will stand to the extreme left (Committee's point of view) and all others (highest to the least) to his right.

SALUTE & HANDSHAKE All students will then be commanded to execute a Humble Salute and shake the hand of each Committee member, starting from the highest to the least ranking black belt. (From the student's point of view, they will start at the right and work their way to the left.) The first student to start this procedure will be the student with the highest rank. All others are to follow in the order of their succeeding rank.

Congratulations are in order if committeemen wish to do so.

JOIN - When the Senior Student salutes and shakes the hand of the last Presentation member, he and the remaining students are to join the line and in turn salute, and shake the hands of each of the remaining students. Students may also congratulate each other if the wish to do so.

MEDITATE The entire group will then be asked to Meditate.

ATTENTION They will then be commanded to come to Attention.

SALUTATION All will then be commanded to execute a Full Salutation.

BOW The final formal command will be to execute the concluding bow.

DISMISS All will then be dismissed.

NOTE: All students will be required to pick up their belt (if they
have not already done so) and clean up the testing area.

REMINDER: Observers are not permitted to witness the FORMAL TEST. They may, however, be allowed to witness the promotion.

PRESENTATION OF RANK CEREMONY

When you are commanded to take off your old belt from your kneeling position, you will be required to neatly fold your old belt and place it vertically and to the left of your new belt. When properly positioned the left end of your new belt should touch the bottom end of your old belt so that the letter "L" is formed. (See illustration.) You will then be informed that this "L" shaped belt formation has four significant meanings -- LIE, LONGEVITY, LOYALTY, and LOTS & LOTS. The following will then be read to give you an indepth understanding of the significance of these terms:

1. If the "L" formed before you stands for a LIE, a LIE that you
are not deserving of your new rank, then you are not to
accept it. However, if you feel that you have earned it,
knowing with assurance that it is not being given to you as a
gift, you may then accept it.
2. If receiving your new rank is not a LIE then "L" can take on
its second meaning -- LONGEVITY or your ability to prolong
your life. LONGEVITY can only come about if your knowledge of
Kenpo is internalized to a point of spontaneous and
successful application. If receiving your new rank is a LIE,
then LONGEVITY will be short lived.
3. "L" also refers to LOYALTY. Whether it be to your instructor,
association, or country, LOYALTY cultivates integrity and
respect.
4. The statement, "One becomes humble when he comes to the
realization that what he knows is very little.", is an
introduction to the meaning of the fourth "L". In this case
"L" stands for LOTS and LOTS. That is, no matter how good
you become there is still LOTS and LOTS to learn and perfect.

From your kneeling position, you will be commanded to bow and touch your forehead to the top and flat side of your new belt. You will remain in this position for approximately five (5) seconds before being asked to return to your kneeling position. The
significance of this formality is as follows (read):

1. At the moment your forehead touches your new belt you are to
mentally transfer your previous knowledge to your new rank
and to establish room for greater knowledge yet to come. You
are to also ponder on the following:

a. Fully understand your new roll as a senior student.
b Become a competent example among your fellow students.
c. Create rapport among them.
d. Encourage, and assist them whenever possible.
e. Avoid taking advantage of them.
f. In no way subject them to ridicule and suppression.

While still kneeling the following will then be read to those being promoted:

As you are promoted to your next rank, do you solemnly pledge to use the art of Kenpo solely for purposes of defense and never for aggression? (Wait for response.) Will you strive to impart an attitude of respect and appreciation for the art of Kenpo, and an understanding of what Kenpo truly entails? (Wait for response.) Will you endeavor to refrain or sanction the use of Kenpo for destructive or harmful designs? (Wait for response.) Do you make these promises solemnly and on your honor? (Wait for response.)

As long as you continue to keep this oath inviolate, may it be granted that you enjoy the life and practice of Kenpo, and forever be respected by your associates. However, should you trespass and violate this oath, it is hoped that the reverse will not be your lot.

Let us now recite the Kenpo Creed:

"I come to you with only Karate, empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles, or my honor; should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons, Karate, my empty hands."

By the authority granted under the constitution of the governing body of the Organization, we do hereby grant you your new and respective rank(s).

The student(s) who have passed will then put on his/her (their) new belt and will adjust the knot on his/her (their) belt so that it is positioned as required -- left side for males and right side for females.

The following will then be read:

Any dishonor to this school, the Orginization, or to any of its members can bring immediate and automatic revocation of rank and honor. As symbolized in our association patch, the bottom which forms the shape of an ax represents the executioner. In the event a member is influenced by evil ideas and thoughts contrary to our philosophy, or shames the Organization, he is to be cut off, never to co-exist with us again. (Display illustration of ax.)

Those who have been promoted will then be asked to stand in a horse stance with hands clenched and cocked at the waist. At this stage all will be informed of the next part of the ceremony -- the BIRTH OF PAIN. The following will then be read or extemporaneously discussed:

The earning of your new rank can be compared to the birth of a new child. For those of you who have been advanced from one color belt to another, the birth of your new rank is obvious. On the other hand for those of you who have received tips within the rank of Brown or Black, your new rank, although not as obvious, is indeed significant. Therefore, comparable to a female who goes through labor pains during the birth of her new child you too will be symbolically experiencing the birth of pain regarding your new rank. This experience is obtained through the execution of a friendly kick as a reminder that the new rank you have received did not come easy. Accordingly rank should not come easy for those you teach. Make every effort to make them work for their rank as you have. The birth of pain is a reminder that your students should earn and not be given new rank.

There you go...........

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why do we have right handed fighters train from a left stance predominantly (dominant hand at the rear) whilst many styles such as Kung Fu seem to have their fighters use stances such that their dominant hand is their lead hand?

Also, I'm right handed and left legged, is this rare/freakish/a problem?

Ian.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

well, Kirk, since there are at least six different routes from New York to LA, you'd have to know which track they're on, or at least the number of miles they're travelling....

also, 98 mph is a little unreasonable for trains... I think metrolinks average about 65 or so, and they go faster than amtracks.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber
Why do we have right handed fighters train from a left stance predominantly (dominant hand at the rear) whilst many styles such as Kung Fu seem to have their fighters use stances such that their dominant hand is their lead hand?

Also, I'm right handed and left legged, is this rare/freakish/a problem?Ian.

1)
Since the majority of humans are right handed.... we tend to fight from a left neutral bow (left leg forward/right rear) as a common comfortable starting position. This is due to the natural phenomenon of "shield and sword". We typically have a "sacrifice" (shield) hand and a "power" (sword) hand... The sacrifice hand is the left which naturally would be forward and the sword or power hand is in the rear. You can generate more power with the rear hand than the front, same is true with kicking. So the "left neutral bow" allows for the majority to be able to block or shield with their lead hand and deliver a powerful blow with the rear. Of course, since we train both sides in Kenpo, we actually become ambidextrous of sorts.

Personally I fight most often with the right lead because the mis-alignment of the majority is a benefit to me. My strong hand is forward and quicker leg for kicking and sweeping leads. For "point" tournaments where "knock out power" is un-necessary this is an advantage for me.

2)
As to your right handed - left legged personal realization, no you are not freakish, but blessed. LOL, whatever abilities you have you turn into usefulness in combat. Just continue to develop all your other abilities to match what you have "naturally" and you will become "gaseous" in action.

Latest Discussions